[net.micro.pc] AT diagnostic information needed

cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) (06/05/86)

I received the error code 601 when running diagnostics on the B: drive
of an IBM PC/AT. Does anyone know what exactly the code means? Guide to
Operations just says to have the system unit serviced.

--
Charles Blair   			    ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!cjdb
The University of Chicago		    lib.cb%chip@UChicago.Bitnet

lotto@talcott.UUCP (Jerry Lotto) (06/07/86)

In article <240@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP>, cjdb@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Charles Blair) writes:

> I received the error code 601 when running diagnostics on the B: drive
> of an IBM PC/AT. Does anyone know what exactly the code means? Guide to
> Operations just says to have the system unit serviced.

     601 ~means "I don't see it at all." It is reported when there is
no response from the drive. I would reseat the power plug and jumpers
(there should be no terminating resistor in B:). The signal/data card
edge connector is probably OK since A: works (it is after B: on the
cable) but clean the contacts and reseat anyway. You could also check
for continuity across the cable.
--

Gerald Lotto - Harvard Chemistry Dept.

 UUCP:  {seismo,harpo,ihnp4,linus,allegra,ut-sally}!harvard!lhasa!lotto
 ARPA:  lotto@harvard.EDU
 CSNET: lotto%harvard@csnet-relay