[net.music] U2: Questions, Comments

54326jj@hou2f.UUCP (J.JOHNSON) (04/18/85)

Could somebody out there please tell me what studio
albums (not the live recording - Under A Blood Red Sky)
the following U2 songs are on:

  1.  11 O'Clock Tick Tock
  2.  I Will Follow
  3.  Gloria
  4.  Party Girl

I know they are on the first two albums but I'm not
sure which one is on which.

I just saw U2 for the first time last Friday at
the Byrne Meadowlands Arena, and I would just
like to comment on that.
It was a GREAT show!  Not only did I walk away
deaf from the thunderous rock and roll (not blaring),
but I walked away with a lot of respect for the
band.  They are very sincere about their music,
and about the message they are trying to get across
(and succeeding).  Bono has a strong set of vocal
chords, and can successfully hit those high notes
that so many artists can do on their studio albums
but not in concert!  The Edge and his guitar - great!
along with the talents of Adam and Larry, really
comprise a band that will make a significant mark in
the '80s.  Anybody else seen their Unforgettable Fire
tour and have any comments?  I always like to hear
the opinions of fellow fans.

I'm a new reader of net.music.  Is there anybody else
out there who likes rock bands such as Springsteen and
the East Street Band, Billy Joel, the Police, Clapton,
etc., etc.  So far what I've been reading on net.music
is mostly about the Grateful Dead (I've always like
them) and USA for Africa.  Since I've seen the above
bands in concert, and other bands too, I'd like to
hear comments on them too.

One more thing:  I'm going to see Phil Collins in
NYC on July 1.  Anybody seen him recently?

Thanks a lot for any comments.  A response through
net.music or to "hou2f!54326jj" would be greatly
appreciated!

               Jo-Ann Johnson
               AT&T Bell Labs
               Holmdel, NJ
               (201)949-2840

man@bocar.UUCP (M Nevar) (04/19/85)

< Could somebody out there please tell me what studio
< albums (not the live recording - Under A Blood Red Sky)
< the following U2 songs are on:
<
  < 1.  11 O'Clock Tick Tock
  < 2.  I Will Follow
  < 3.  Gloria
  < 4.  Party Girl

I will follow is on the first album, "Boy".
Gloria is on the second album, "October".
Buy them, they are fantastic !!!!!!

11 O'clock Tick Tock and Party Girl are only available
on the live album.  They were never released on studio albums.

BTW, their third album, "War" is great too !
The last album hasn't really done much for me,
but we'll see.

I was the show Sunday night.  It was great, but I felt
like I was at a kiddie matinee.  They played the Stones
old song "Ruby Tuesday", I heard a girl seated behind
me ask her friend if it was a *new* song.

Aaaaggghhhhh!

							Mark

jeff@dciem.UUCP (Jeff Richardson) (04/22/85)

> Could somebody out there please tell me what studio
> albums (not the live recording - Under A Blood Red Sky)
> the following U2 songs are on:
>
>   1.  11 O'Clock Tick Tock

It has never been released on a studio album.  As far as I know, it was
only released as a single which was only available as an import.  It pre-dates
even their first album.  I have it on a recent import EP called "Pride".

>   2.  I Will Follow

It's the first song on their first album, "Boy".  Some people say "Boy" is
their best album.  I don't agree, but I'd say it's close.  For those of you
who are familiar with "Under A Blood Red Sky", "Boy" also contains "Electric
Co.".

>   3.  Gloria

It's the first song on their second album, "October".  "October" is probably
their worst studio album, but there's no such thing as a U2 album that isn't
great.  In other words, buy it, but buy the other three first.

>   4.  Party Girl

It has never been released on a studio album; in fact, I've never even
seen a studio recording of it.  My guess is that if it ever was available,
it was only as a rare import single.

--
Jeff Richardson, DCIEM, Toronto  (416) 635-2073
{linus,ihnp4,uw-beaver,floyd}!utcsrgv!dciem!jeff

adler@aecom.UUCP (Elliott Adler) (04/23/85)

	Pardon my blandness, but what is so great about U2.
I have not heard everything they do and sing, but from what I
hear, I do not understand why their concert sold out sooooooo
quickly. Enlighten me, please.

				Elliott

p.s. I must admit, that when I was listening to "In the Name of Love"
on April 4, I did get quite a freaky chill. I had never put two
and two together.

--
	{ihnp4|spike|rocky2|philabs|pegasus|esquire|cucard}!aecom!adler

maciag@spar.UUCP (Chris Maciag) (04/23/85)

I saw U2 in San Francisco about a month ago and it was one of the finest
concerts I have been to, except for the fact that I lost my shoes.  Bono
can hit all the high notes that he does in the studio.  One thing I
wondered was how, as a four piece, the would have guitar, piano, bass,
drums and vocals in one song (with bono only singing) (like "New Years
day). Well, The Edge plays the guitar as he sits at the piano and
changes back and fourth.  I too have a lot of respect for a band like
U2.  Why?  One thing is that they do what you went to the concert to
see-- play music.  They don't swear all the time like many bands (in
fact they did no swear at either of the San Francisco shows).  Another
thing, when a boy jumped on stage, Bono shook his hand and the roadies
escorted him off stage.  At most concerts (rock) the roadies bounce the
guy around (I guess to discourage others) and probably have a field day
with him when they get him backstage.

	-->Chris

tom%udel-cc-vax1.delaware@UDEL-LOUIE.ARPA (UFFNER) (04/23/85)

    "Gloria" I know for certain is on October. I'm not sure
about the others but I think they are all from Boy. I've never
seen U2 in concert but would like to (tickets were near imposs-
ible to come by in philadelphia). As for your other groups, I
like the Police, I caught a show of the Zenyata Mondata tour;
and also Clapton and Billy Joel. Feel free to discuss them on
the net -- I think that's still what it's for, although the
endless flames, arguments and petty namecalling of Mr Rosen,
jcjeff and their various associates (I apologise if I've for-
goten anyone) tries to convince me otherwise.

					Tom Uffner

gtaylor@lasspvax.UUCP (Greg Taylor) (04/24/85)

In article <> jeff@dciem.UUCP ( Richardson) writes:

>>   4.  Party Girl
>
>It has never been released on a studio album; in fact, I've never even
>seen a studio recording of it.  My guess is that if it ever was available,
>it was only as a rare import single.

This cut is available as a studio version. It is the "B" side of a single
that came out between "October" and "War". The "A" side of the single is
called "Celebration", and the title of what appears as "Party Girl" on
UABRS is listed as "Trash, Trampoline, and the Party Girl". Hope this
is of some help.

Greg

Once I was young:once I was smart:now I'm living on the edge of my nerves:-Japan
Gregory Alan Taylor:162 Clark Hall:Cornell University:Ithaca,NY 14850:USA
USENET:		{cmcl2,decvax,ihnp4}!cornell!lasspvax!gtaylor
ARPANET:	gtaylor@lasspvax.arpa
BITNET:		gtaylor@crnlthry.bitnet

rds5695@ritcv.UUCP (Robert D. Seals) (04/24/85)

> < Could somebody out there please tell me what studio
> < albums (not the live recording - Under A Blood Red Sky)
> < the following U2 songs are on:
> <
>   < 1.  11 O'Clock Tick Tock
>   < 2.  I Will Follow
>   < 3.  Gloria
>   < 4.  Party Girl
>
> 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Party Girl are only available
> on the live album.  They were never released on studio albums.

They were neve released on studio *albums*, but both are avail. on
7" (studio).

> I was the show Sunday night.

You was!? Did the audience like you?

jamesp@orstcs.UUCP (jamesp) (05/06/85)

**** PLACE YOUR GIBSON GUITAR HERE ****

>I just saw U2 for the first time last Friday at
>the Byrne Meadowlands Arena...
>like to comment on that.

LUCKY BUMS!!!!!  I live in Corvallis/Portland Oregon and U-2 came nowhere near
here!  And I love the music so much........!.!.!!!!  So I can't see the Un-
forgettable Fire tour <whimper>.  I am jealous of all of you!

>the East Street Band, Billy Joel, the Police, Clapton,

Yeah!  The Police!  Another one of my mainstays!  It's a shame that I probably
missed my only chance to see them, too.  As you know, Andy Summers never really
anticipated that the group would form like it did -- the whole band kind of
fell together by accident.  Continuing along these lines, the band is kind of
going to fall apart again.  They are only planning two more albums (and those
in a year or two).  I don't know if they will go on  a final tour.

I tell you, watching all these concerts on MTV just doesn't cut BEING THERE!
		 _?_				James T. Perkins
  	  |   | |   | | `      on the		hplabs!hp-pcd!orstcs!jamesp
	 _|___| |___| |___\        seas		226 Poling Hall
        /...\_____|___|____`_/			Oregon State University
	\   o o o o o o o  /			Corvallis, OR 97331
Moving soon (June 16) to tektronix!dadla!jamesp...