[net.micro.pc] Turbo Prolog and Borland

kim@mips.UUCP (06/15/86)

[ "Send lawyers, guns, and money ..." ]

>    Let's write them!  Everyone who wants to see a generic MS-DOS version
>    of Turbo Prolog - WRITE!   Come on.  Maybe we can make history here.
>
>    Alan

I would also like to get an answer from Borland as to when we might see
their mythical "TurboC" ... for *any* machine.

I purchased TurboPascal 1.0 about a month after it was released, which
got me put on Borland's mailing-list.  In a couple of their mailings
(which were four-color, four-page, newspaper/newsprint things), they
said that their "C" would be available "soon".

I was never one to hold my breath waiting for announced s/w that would be
available "soon", but when I upgraded to TurboPascal 2.0, I did ask the
marketing person that I spoke with at Borland when "C" was coming out.
"Within the next 6 months", I was told.

When I upgraded to 3.x, I asked again.  Then the answer was "We dunno".
I finally broke down and purchased both Eco-C and MIX C.  Wonder what
Borland will say when it comes time to upgrade TurboPascal to 4.0?
(Assuming they will make an MS-DOS version of 4.0 even available :-) ).
			    ^^

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   408-720-1700 x231

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (06/15/86)

In article <507@mips.UUCP> kim@mips.UUCP writes:

>>    Let's write them!  Everyone who wants to see a generic MS-DOS version
>>    of Turbo Prolog - WRITE!   Come on.  Maybe we can make history here.
>>
>>    Alan
>
>I would also like to get an answer from Borland as to when we might see
>their mythical "TurboC" ... for *any* machine.

I have this sneaky little suspicion that Borland has a nearly-complete C
compiler already, and that they are merely waiting for the final draft of
the ANSI standard to come out, so they can whip theirs into shape and
kick it out the door with some sort of "We're the FIRST to meet the COMPLETE
ANSI standard!" type of claim.  I have no evidence of this, but it wouldn't
surprise me in the least.  I can't think of any other reason that Kahn
hasn't come out with something that so many people obviously want from him.

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)