[net.micro.pc] IBM does an impersonation of itself

garyf@mc0.UUCP (06/09/86)

     The following article appeared  in the  Wall Street Journal,
6/6/86, pg. 25: (reprinted without permission):

[BEGINNING OF ARTICLE]

     IBM'S IMPROVED PC KEYBOARD IS SETBACK FOR SOME SOFTWARE

     For years, users have complained about the awkward keyboards
in the IBM Personal Computer family.   Now International Business
Machines Corp.  has  introduced  a  new  keyboard  aimed  at such
complaints-only to spur a new round of gripes.
     The problem: Some software programs won't operate on the new
device,  now sold as an option with the PC XT and AT models.  The
snag illustrates a sort  of  high-tech Murphy's  Law: As computer
makers try to make things ever easier for customers, the internal
workings  of  the  machines  get  ever  more  complex,  sometimes
defeating the effort.
     The new keyboard simplifies things by  separating the cursor
keys  that  had doubled as  number  keys;  marking  the enter key
"enter" instead of using only a broken arrow, and placing special
"function  keys"   horizontally  for  easier  access.   But  such
programs   as   Ashton-Tate   Inc.'s    Framework   and   Borland
International Inc.'s  SuperKey  won't work  with  the new layout.
Indeed, even a version of IBM's own "windowing" program, Topview,
won't  run on  the new IBM keyboard;  buyers  must  avoid version
"1.01" in favor of "1.10."
     IBM says any problems  are the fault of  software developers
that  violate  IBM's  technical  guidelines.   "There's  no story
here,"  a company spokeswoman says.   But software makers say IBM
is  unrealistic.   A  cardinal  IBM rule  dictates  that software
should "talk" only to the PC's internal coding, known as the BIOS
(basic input-output system);  then the BIOS acts  as a translator
and tells the machine's chips  what  to  do.   But  many programs
violate this rule,  bypassing the translator and talking directly
to the chips to let screen images show up more quickly and to add
special commands.
     Software makers gamble that the rules they break  won't work
against them  when  IBM  later  changes  hardware  features.  "In
certain  products  we  have  to  depart  from  them  to  get  the
performance we need," says Roy Folk, Ashton-Tate's executive vice
president.   With Framework,  Ashton-Tate gambled and  lost.  The
program uses unusual key combinations to move rapidly  across the
screen, but the new keyboard doesn't recognize them.  Ashton-Tate
is writing new software to fix the problem.
     IBM says it tested 200  programs and only a half dozen or so
didn't work on the new keyboard,  which most XT and  AT customers
are buying instead of the original device.   But the snags may be
more widespread than the IBM sample indicates.   After all, there
are  some 10,000  IBM PC-compatible software programs  now on the
market.

     [END OF ARTICLE]

     Why, why, why, why, why does ANYONE patronize IBM??????

--

Gary Friedman
Jet Propulsion Laboratory

pointer@hpccc (06/10/86)

# Written  9:25 am  Jun  9, 1986 by mc0!garyf in hpccc:net.micro.pc

>     Why, why, why, why, why does ANYONE patronize IBM??????

   Because everyone else does. Disgusting, isn't it?

   *dave@hplabs   [standard disclaimer and whatnot]

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/11/86)

In article <284@mc0.UUCP> garyf@mc0.UUCP (gary friedman) writes:

>[BEGINNING OF ARTICLE]
>
>     IBM says any problems  are the fault of  software developers
>that  violate  IBM's  technical  guidelines.   "There's  no story
>here,"  a company spokeswoman says.   But software makers say IBM
>is  unrealistic.   A  cardinal  IBM rule  dictates  that software
>should "talk" only to the PC's internal coding, known as the BIOS
>(basic input-output system);  then the BIOS acts  as a translator
>and tells the machine's chips  what  to  do.   But  many programs
>violate this rule,  bypassing the translator and talking directly
>to the chips to let screen images show up more quickly and to add
>special commands.
>     Software makers gamble that the rules they break  won't work
>against them  when  IBM  later  changes  hardware  features.  "In
>certain  products  we  have  to  depart  from  them  to  get  the
>performance we need," says Roy Folk,

>     [END OF ARTICLE]
>
>     Why, why, why, why, why does ANYONE patronize IBM??????

I guess they do it because IBM has the guts to improve a product along
lines that their technical specs said was perfectly valid, even though
they know it breaks badly-behaved, popular programs.

How can you have sympathy for Ashton-Tate or Borland?  IBM manuals said,
"here is how to access the keyboard.  Do it this way, or your program may
not work on future products."  Programmers ignored this rule in full knowledge.
Now it comes to pass, and people bitch?

I have a product which writes directly to the screen memory of the PC.
Should IBM change their screen configuration, I don't expect any sympathy.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

shap@bunker.UUCP (Joseph D. Shapiro) (06/12/86)

In article <17600001@hpccc> pointer@hpccc.UUCP writes:
># Written  9:25 am  Jun  9, 1986 by mc0!garyf in hpccc:net.micro.pc
>>     Why, why, why, why, why does ANYONE patronize IBM??????
>   Because everyone else does. Disgusting, isn't it?
>   *dave@hplabs   [standard disclaimer and whatnot]

Reminds me of a common sentiment about shopping malls...
Nobody goes there anymore because it's too crowded.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Joseph D. Shapiro			"He who hesitates
Bunker Ramo Information Systems		 is lunch"

...ittatc!bunker!shap
...decvax!bunker!shap

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (06/12/86)

>      The following article appeared  in the  Wall Street Journal,
> 6/6/86, pg. 25: (reprinted without permission):
>
> [BEGINNING OF ARTICLE]
>
>      IBM'S IMPROVED PC KEYBOARD IS SETBACK FOR SOME SOFTWARE
>
>      For years, users have complained about the awkward keyboards
> in the IBM Personal Computer family.   Now International Business
> Machines Corp.  has  introduced  a  new  keyboard  aimed  at such
> complaints-only to spur a new round of gripes.
>
> [...]
>
>      [END OF ARTICLE]
>
>      Why, why, why, why, why does ANYONE patronize IBM??????
> --
> Gary Friedman

If a person writes a device driver or otherwise bypasses the operating system
on any minicomputer system (VAX, DG, Pr1me, etc) and the system vendor
subsequently adds to its previous offering of devices, causing the driver
to become obsolete, this would be considered unfortunate for the writer and
users of the device driver, but would otherwise be considered as business
as usual and a necessary price to pay for progress.

There are many costs and many more benefits to being number 1, as
newly-elected presidents discover.  Being judged by separate (double)
standards is part of being number 1.
is measured are part
--
	- bc -

..!{seismo,topaz,gatech,nbires,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2266

john@moncol.UUCP (John Ruschmeyer) (06/13/86)

In article <284@mc0.UUCP> garyf@mc0.UUCP (gary friedman) writes:

>           ....... A  cardinal  IBM rule  dictates  that software
>should "talk" only to the PC's internal coding, known as the BIOS
>(basic input-output system);  then the BIOS acts  as a translator
>and tells the machine's chips  what  to  do.   But  many programs
>violate this rule,  bypassing the translator and talking directly
>to the chips to let screen images show up more quickly and to add
>special commands....

Speaking of which- does anybody know the scan codes returned by the extra
keys on the new keyboard, especially the extra two function keys? Are they
the same as on some 12-function key compatables, such as the Tandy 1000?

Thanks in advance...

mercury@ut-ngp.UUCP (Larry E. Baker) (06/22/86)

In article <11200002@ztivax.UUCP>, david@ztivax.UUCP writes:
> Example:  A small consulting company has three engineers, each of
> which bills time to customers for PRODUCTIVE work at $150,000 per
> year.  One engineer has to waste half time keeping a small UNIX
> machine going.  The little machine (70% VAX performance for 7% cost,
> tho not AT&T), cost the company the cost of a nice REAL VAX every two
> years.  That is alot of dough for a small company.  And real money it
> was, too.
>
> In business, you usually cannot AFFORD to fight the "system".

Point concieded, with qualifications.

Buying a "REAL" VAX does not necessarily imply that this engineer won't
end up spending just as much time keeping *it* running.  Admittedly,
he has a much larger (user) base of experience from which to draw,
but knowing Unix... he wouldn't end up saving *that* much more time.

This company could have hired some far less expensive administrator
to keep up their system; if they're blowing 75K a year by wasting
one of their valuable engineers (read: resouces), then the money
they lost is not due to the fact that the machine needs so much
"more" time for upkeep, but that they are managing their time -- and
their company -- badly.

I think they could have bought a 35K/year system administrator;
if they are actually bringing in 150K/engineer per year, they'd be
about 35K ahead.  And have a well-managed system, since their SA
wouldn't be splitting up his time all over the place.  With the money
they save here, they could probably buy yet another no-name brand
machine, if they needed the added resources.

I might also point out that, if they're *not* bringing in 150K/year
for all three engineers, that is, that engineer #3 is going to be idle
half his time anyway, then they haven't lost anything.

Unfortunately, you do have a point about fighting the system.  I don't
think that in this particurlar case your example holds up, but I agree
that, for the most part, it's more cost-effective in the long run to buy a
solution that a lot of people are using rather than one that only a
few know about and may not be around forever.

-- Larry --

Larry Baker               Net/UUCP:  mercury@ut-ngp.{ARPA, UUCP, UTEXAS.EDU}
UT Austin                            ihnp4!seismo!ut-sally!ut-ngp!mercury
Computer Science          Local:     baker@walt.UTEXAS.EDU