[net.micro.pc] Lotus Printgraph Drivers

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (06/27/86)

In <6200036@inmet> bcking@inmet.UUCP writes:
>Lotus 1-2-3 Rel 2 does not include some of the Printgraph drivers
>that were present in Rel 1A: in particular, the "double density"
>Epson drivers are missing.  There used to be as many as 4 Epson
>drivers of different densities; Rel 2 has only two: "low density"
>which seems to be the same as the "single density" of Rel 1A, and
>"high density" which may be the Rel 1A "quad density".

low = single, high = triple.  I have a NEC P5 (LQ1500 compatible), and using
Pgraph 2 in the highest density mode it can do yields inferior quality graphs
(compared to Pgraph 1A).

>The (temporary) fix is to go back to using Rel 1A of Printgraph, which
>will apparently accept Rel 2 .PIC files.  Lotus will be coming out
>with some new drivers, which may address the problem.

I never thought of this.  I assumed that since the actual worksheets were
incompatible, the graphs would be too.  What about exploded pies?  You couldn't
do those in 1A, so I wonder if 1A Pgraph will deal with them.

What is the source of your info. on new drivers from Lotus?  When are they
planning on coming out with them?

My P5XL can do 360 x 360 dpi in 7 colors, and Lotus doesn't support it.  I
have 2 choices.  Use the LQ1500 driver, which gives me a choice between
60 x 60 or 180 x 180 in b&w, or I can use the JX80 driver, which gives me
60 x 60 in color.  Phooey!

At least my P5 doesn't take all week to print a graph and doesn't eat the paper
while printing out spreadsheets.  I know several owners of LQ1500s and they all
hate them.  Apparently the tractor feed gets hungry fairly often.  One guy
uploads his database reports to the company mainframe (at 1200 baud) and has
them do the actual printouts (his software lets him 'print' to a disk file).
This means that it takes longer to do the upload (120 cps) than to print on the
Epson (200 cps), plus he has to wait a day to get the actual printouts.

This is all because he can't trust the LQ1500 to print 100 pages while he isn't
standing over it and babysitting.
--
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp