[net.micro.pc] RGB to Composite video converter

randy@ranhome.UUCP (Randy Horton) (06/21/86)

I remember once seeing advertised somewhere a converter which would convert
RGB video to composite video.  At that time I had no need of such a device, so
I didn't pay much attention to it.  However, now I have a compatible with a
color graphics card.  It has a composite video jack, but only monochrome comes
out of it.  I would like to use this machine with my composite color monitor
in color.

If anyone out there knows anything about where I might be able to get a RGB to
composite adaptor, I would much appreciate hearing about it.  Thanks in
advance, as they say.

--

(Randy Horton)      allegra|
		    hplabs |

tj@utcs.UUCP (06/23/86)

As an opposite request to this, I am interested in information about
an RGB to shades of gray adapter. I run a monochrome composite monitor
off a color card and sometimes its horrible to read text where some fancy
programmer has set color attributes when not necessary! I want shades of
gray and don't know how to get it.

tj
utcs!tj uucp
tj at utoronto bitnet
416-978-4924

randy@chinet.UUCP (randy) (06/25/86)

In article <1986Jun23.11:14:40.29844@utcs.uucp> tj@utcs.UUCP (tj) writes:

>As an opposite request to this, I am interested in information about
>an RGB to shades of gray adapter.

	In the July 86 Byte on page 267 is mention of "The Missing Link"
from Active Components.  It is a rgb to composite converter that produces
16 shades of grey.  The cost is $29.95 (!)

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

lacasse@randvax.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) (06/27/86)

In article <1986Jun23.11:14:40.29844@utcs.uucp> tj@utcs.UUCP (tj) writes:
>As an opposite request to this, I am interested in information about
>an RGB to shades of gray adapter. I run a monochrome composite monitor
>off a color card and sometimes its horrible to read text where some fancy
>programmer has set color attributes when not necessary!...
>utcs!tj uucp
>tj at utoronto bitnet
>416-978-4924
Robert Dukelow (a fellow netter) just told me about a product for this.
Neither of us has tried it.  Its been on the market since 1981, and is the
only product of a small company.  The people there I talked to by phone
seemed pretty smart.  Its called "The Grayscaler".  An ad reads:

  "Create crisp composite video directly from your color graphics card RGB
  port and enjoy sixteen shades of brightness.  Ordinary monitors come
  alive with complete RGB equivalent software compatibility for the IBM
  PC, XT, AT, Compaq, Columbia, and other compatibles and color cards.

  "Miniturization packs a high speed D/A, synch circuit, and line driver
  in a single cubic inch module.  External installation on RGB connector
  does not use slot.  Phone jack output.  Interference-causing color is
  completely sidestepped by Grayscale."

On the phone they said you needed a COMPOSITE (analog) monitor, and it would
not work with a "TTL" monitor (e.g. IBM Monochrome, Amdek 310A).

  Company:
	$59.95 + $2.00 + 6% sales tax in California
	Avocado Computer
	17352 Yorkshire Ave.
	Yorba Linda, CA 92686
	714 528-1025

If anyone buys one, please report results to the net.

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street              lacasse@Rand-Unix
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 7420

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (06/27/86)

In article <193@ranhome.UUCP> randy@ranhome.UUCP (Randy Horton) writes:

>I remember once seeing advertised somewhere a converter which would convert
>RGB video to composite video.  ...  However, now I have a compatible with a
>color graphics card.  It has a composite video jack, but only monochrome comes
>out of it.  I would like to use this machine with my composite color monitor
>in color.
>
>If anyone out there knows anything about where I might be able to get a RGB to
>composite adaptor, I would much appreciate hearing about it.

I know of the exact board that you are looking for:  it is the "Truevision
   Composite Video Adaptor", made by AT&T, Computer Systems Group, Indianapolis
   Indiana.  This adaptor was designed for AT&T's TARGA series video boards,
   can also act as a stand-alone unit.  It has external connectors for:
   RGB input; NTSC generating RS170A Color Composite video output; NTSC Color
   Composite (RS170A) input; generating RGB output.  It plugs into any IBM
   PC compatible, and has software included that can set the saturation,
   various hues, brightness, and contrast.

NOTE!!! The RGB output of most computer video boards is IBM-standard TTL RGB
   (or really psuedo-RGB) at 0 to ~3.8 volts, with separate vertical sych,
   and hori-sync, and intensity lines.  Analog RGB, or broadcast RGB,
   uses 4 pins -- composite sync, and the three colors at 0 to .714 volts.
   To use the board with a standard TTL RGB board, you will have to use
   resistor networks to pad the voltage levels down, and a NOR gate to
   generate negative-going composite sync from H-sync and V-sync, and with
   a pad to bring the voltage down.  Lastly, in your resistor pads, use a
   resistive summer to add the different intensity lines; you could even
   use high-frequency OP amps as adders, running at 6 MHz or so.

The board goes for $495 from AT&T computer distributors.

					- bob
--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications

"Time is a mouse that requires constant feeding..." -- me

	...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

dea@hpcesea.HP (Bob Dea) (06/30/86)

In the latest issue of PC Tech Journal (Vol 4 # 7) an article by
Michael Covington "A BETTER CGA" describes how to convert your CGA
to produce distinct shades of gray by removing a risto      r