[net.micro.pc] Anyone heard of a Victor PC?

gold@druil.UUCP (G. Terry Gold) (06/29/86)

I am looking at an IBM compatible machine and would like to know if anyone
has had any experience with it.

The machine is a Victor (don't know model #) and is about one year old.
It has MS-DOS 2.1, two 360k drives, serial & parallel ports, 256k and
a 4.77 clock.

Future hardware and software expansion is a concern.  Any comments on how
compatible this machine is?  Is upgrade to 3.0 going to be a problem?

They are asking $1000.  Any comments on this machine would be appreciated.
I'll post results if there is an interest.

Thanks,

--
                                        ihnp4 \
Terry Gold      AT&T ISL                       --- druil!gold

pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) (07/02/86)

 Re used Victor PC's:

 Victor tried to make it in the IBM PC clone market and failed (I don't rem-
 ember if they actually filed bankruptcy).

 They have come back in recent months with an accelerator card and several other
 add-on products.  They also announced a "new" pc, but this is one that they oem
 - and I don't believe is at all similar to their former models.

   g. pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny.

iav1917@ritcv.UUCP (alan i. vymetalik) (07/04/86)

[Little line eater!  Where are you?   n. bates]

In article <206@hscfvax.UUCP> pavlov@hscfvax.UUCP (840033@G.Pavlov) writes:

>Re used Victor PC's:
>Victor tried to make it in the IBM PC clone market and failed (I don't rem-
>ember if they actually filed bankruptcy).
>
>They have come back in recent months with an accelerator card and several other
>add-on products.  They also announced a "new" pc, but this is one that they oem
>- and I don't believe is at all similar to their former models.
>
>  g. pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny.

   I heard there were problems at Victor, but I didn't think they were
   bankrupt.  Maybe, they're under Chapter 11.  However, PC Magazine
   on pages 129 and 266 (July 1986) show ads for the Victor PC II (an
   XT-clone "for as little as $1095" and the Victor V286, an AT-clone
   for about twice the PCII.  Sure looks like they're still in business.
   Do I have the wrong company?

   Alan

   All standard disclaimers apply here.
                                     alan i. vymetalik
   uucp:      {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!iav1917
   bitnet:                             aiv1974@ritvaxd