[net.micro.pc] KEY

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (07/02/86)

I was running a maze game on my T1K last night that came from Compuserve.
Anyway, I tried taking the game up to my PC-AT.  The game is in BASIC.
It failed.  What's funny is that the game works on the Tandy 2000.

The failure is in the 'KEY (n) ON' statement.  Is this a known bug in
the BASIC on the AT?

				Mike Yetsko
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/07/86)

In article <-217493@bbimg> mikey@bbimg.UUCP writes:
>I was running a maze game on my T1K last night that came from Compuserve.
>Anyway, I tried taking the game up to my PC-AT.  The game is in BASIC.
>It failed.  What's funny is that the game works on the Tandy 2000.
>
>The failure is in the 'KEY (n) ON' statement.  Is this a known bug in
>the BASIC on the AT?

According to the PC-DOS BASIC manual, the 'KEY (n) ON' statement is only
available in the BASICA version of the program.  If you are loading just
the PC-DOS BASIC program, load BASICA instead.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (07/10/86)

I discovered the problem with the 'KEY (n) ON' statement.  While the
KEY statement is a feature from IBM BASIC as far down as the cassette
models, the 'KEY (n) ON' and 'ON KEY' statements are Advanced Basic
commands.  The BASIC on the Tandy 1000 and 2000 incorporates the
features of the IBM Advanced Basic, that's why the program would run
there.  I had to swap two of the keys, and then the program would
run under BASICA on the PC-AT with no problem.

				Mike Yetsko
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

(How does Basic work?  Where do you put the stack?  Where's the
segment register?  OH NO! NOT A SEGMENT REGISTER!)