[net.micro.pc] simple enviorment question

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) (07/07/86)

I have a very simple question to ask about the enviorment in MS/PC-DOS.
How do you check the value of a parameter in the envoirment? And, is there
anyway to look at the enviorment as a whole? (i.e. prenv in UN*X)

Thanks

cramer@kontron.UUCP (Clayton Cramer) (07/09/86)

> I have a very simple question to ask about the enviorment in MS/PC-DOS.
> How do you check the value of a parameter in the envoirment? And, is there
> anyway to look at the enviorment as a whole? (i.e. prenv in UN*X)
>
> Thanks

From Microsoft C 3.0, you use the getenv () call to the value of an
environment variable.  From PC-DOS, you type "set" and it shows you
all the environment variables.  (This IS in the PC-DOS manual.)

Clayton E. Cramer

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (07/10/86)

In article <483@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
>I have a very simple question to ask about the enviorment in MS/PC-DOS.
>How do you check the value of a parameter in the envoirment? And, is there
>anyway to look at the enviorment as a whole? (i.e. prenv in UN*X)
>
>Thanks

I don't know about individual variables, outside of writing a simple assembly
or C program to fetch it using a DOS 21h interupt function.  But you can always
see all of your environment variables at any DOS prompt by using the command
"set" without any arguments.
--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)

jnl@inuxh.UUCP (John Le) (07/10/86)

> I have a very simple question to ask about the enviorment in MS/PC-DOS.
> How do you check the value of a parameter in the envoirment? And, is there
> anyway to look at the enviorment as a whole? (i.e. prenv in UN*X)
>
> Thanks

How about the command SET.  This will display all environment variables you
set in your autoexec.bat.

i.e.  C> set<CR>

	John N. Le (AT&T IS/CPL Indpls, IN)
	ihnp4!inuxc!inuxh!jnl

mr@isrnix.UUCP (07/10/86)

In article <483@ur-tut.UUCP>, aptr@ur-tut.UUCP writes:
> I have a very simple question to ask about the enviorment in MS/PC-DOS.
> How do you check the value of a parameter in the envoirment? And, is there
> anyway to look at the enviorment as a whole? (i.e. prenv in UN*X)
>
> Thanks

]::[

here's a uuencoded version of ENVSIZE.COM: a quick and easy way to
increase  your current environment  size.  no more debugged-hacked
COMMAND.COM files!

to add space  to the  DOS environment associated  with the primary
command processor, enter:

                             ENVSIZE N

where "N" equals the number of  paragraphs you would like to add to
the current environment size.

the maximum practical limit is 2048 paragraphs, or ~32K. let's hope
you won't need more than that.

to determine the current environment size using ENVSIZE, enter:

                             ENVSIZE ?

which will report something like:

Current Environment statistics:
  Size in paragraphs.............(DEC)...... 10
  Size in paragraphs.............(HEX)...... 000A
  Size in bytes..................(DEC)...... 160
  Location of Environment........(Segment).. 52D7
  Location of Command Processor..(Segment).. 5216
  Current Command Processor is Primary...... YES

this program is shareware, courtesy of Team Alpha, 519 Garden Springs
Drive, Mount Sterling, Kentucky 40353.

--CUT--
begin 777 ENVSIZE.COM
MZ;H<
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MY5W#]D0&!'0LBP0K1 2+^%?_= 2*1 >84.A-"8/$!CO'=!* 3 80,\#'!
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M@0X.*P$ QP80*PXKQT;Z  "+-A KB7;^.S8T*G5>_T;ZBT;Z/0$ ?E/'1OP
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MB^5=PXM&\O].\CM&\'X5_W;V_]99/?__=06X___KW_]&^NO@QT;N  "+7NR
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M!(O?*\"Y_W_RKHO'*\-(7UW#     +T  (7M=0*,W2Z,'KL=BQX" "O=@?L
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M<UF+W#O#<U.CS"HKP%W#.P;8*G<&.P;,*G?M4(O8N00 T^N!X_\/@\-!@>/
M_U,&C-D#V8X&VBHK'MHJM$K-(0=;6'(6H\PJ]\, X'4-N00 T^.)'M@J*\!=
MP\<&SBK\_[C__X7 7<-5B^R+Q"M&!*/6*EW# #\ 57-A9V4Z(&5N=G-I>F4@
M/'!A<F%G<F%P:',^(" @(" @.V%D9"!N=6UB97(@;V8@<&%R86=R87!H<PH
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M96YT($-O;6UA;F0@4')O8V5S<V]R(&ES(%!R:6UA<GDN+BXN+BX@ %E%4PH
M3D\*  H@U<W-S<W-S<W-S<W-S<T S<W-S<W-S<W-S<W-N" * ""S(" @("!%
M3E9325I%('9E<B Q+C @(" @(+,@"@ @LRA#*2!#;W!Y<FEG:'0@5$5!3> L
M(#$Y.#:S( H (+,@("!!;&P@4FEG:'1S(%)E<V5R=F5D(" @LR * "#4S<W-
MS<W-S<W-S<W-S0#-S<W-S<W-S<W-S<V^"@H           $   $
M   ! 0 !             0(  0
M                        #BL.*S Q,C,T-38W.#E!0D-$148    @(" @
M# P,# P,# P,0$! 0$! 0 D)"0D)"0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$! 0$!0$!
M        "Q\ 5&]O(&UA;GD@87)G<RX                           "G
+( PA"@T  0 !  !O

end

--CUT--
--

                .^.                             michael regoli
                /|\                   ...ihnp4!inuxc!isrnix!mr