[net.micro.pc] Help: How do I use a second monitor for debugging in C?

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (07/10/86)

I want to use a second monitor (monochrome) on an IBM AT to aid in writing
and debugging a heavily screen-oriented program.  Can anyone tell me how
to do this, or point out packages (source or binary, public domain or
commercial) for such?  I'm using Microsoft C Ver 3.0 (I'll be switching
to 4.0, as soon as I know it's compatible with my existing libraries).

Does anyone know if the new source-level debugger that comes with MSC Ver 4.0
allows use of dual monitors?

Thanks!

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) (07/10/86)

In article <823@ucbcad.BERKELEY.EDU> chapman@pavepaws.UUCP (Brent Chapman) writes:
>I want to use a second monitor (monochrome) on an IBM AT to aid in writing
>and debugging a heavily screen-oriented program.  Can anyone tell me how
>to do this, or point out packages (source or binary, public domain or
>commercial) for such?  I'm using Microsoft C Ver 3.0 (I'll be switching
>to 4.0, as soon as I know it's compatible with my existing libraries).
>
>Does anyone know if the new source-level debugger that comes with MSC Ver 4.0
>allows use of dual monitors?

It sure does.  It also supports 43-line display on the EGA.  If you don't
have two screens you can toggle between the debug and output screen with a
function key.  I think it's an excellent product (standard disclaimer
applies).
--
	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller

geoff@suneast.UUCP (07/13/86)

We use CodeSmith-86 from Visual Age (1-800-732-2345) with great
success. You can debug both user programs and device drivers: the
best way of doing the latter is to copy the driver map to \COMMAND.MAP
then run CodeSmith on COMMAND.COM and fix up the symbol base to
reflect where your driver is loaded (if the segment is XXXX, compute
YYYY = XXXX+10, and type "sb YYYY"). For user mode C programs you can
open a source code window which tracks better than most.

Usual disclaimers about CodeSmith and Visual Age.....

--
"disclaimo, disclaimas, disclaimat, disclaimamus, disclaimatis, disclamant"
UUCP:      {hplabs,ihnp4,nsc,pyramid,decwrl}!sun!suneast!hinode!geoff