[net.micro.pc] Procomm 2.3

naren@clan.UUCP (Narendra Mehta) (07/04/86)

I have been unable to use the kermit protocol of ProComm 2.3 with a UNIX
4.2BSD machine as  well as the local BBS.  The upload/download times out
with 'Exchanging initialization parameters' message.  The kermit on the unix
is version 4C(057) dated 30 July 85.  The xmodem protocol works just fine.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
N.Mehta, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
...!watmath!clan!naren

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (07/09/86)

In article <186@clan.UUCP> naren@clan.UUCP (Narendra Mehta) writes:
>I have been unable to use the kermit protocol of ProComm 2.3 with a UNIX
>4.2BSD machine as  well as the local BBS.	....
>Any suggestions? 		N.Mehta, Carleton University

Yea, get a new program!  :-)   Seriously though, I have used PC/InterComm
from Mark Of The Unicorn with no problems at all on even older versions of
kermit, in text or binary mode.
--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

"Reject, Resound, Rejoice!  --  who needs them!" -- me (bob)

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!

u14@pucc-j.UUCP (07/12/86)

> I have been unable to use the kermit protocol of ProComm 2.3 with a UNIX
> 4.2BSD machine as  well as the local BBS.  The upload/download times out
> with 'Exchanging initialization parameters' message.  The kermit on the unix
> is version 4C(057) dated 30 July 85.  The xmodem protocol works just fine.
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
> N.Mehta, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada
> ...!watmath!clan!naren

   Check the setup menu in Procomm, you need 8-bit quoting on, make sure
   that your block check is the same as the kermit you are talking to ( i.e
   1,2, or 3 byte), and be sure your parity and data bits are set correctly
   in the dial menu for the system you are communicating with. I have used
   it with 4.2BSD kermit and with kermit on VM once I got the initial setup
   right.  Feel free to E-mail if you have more trouble.
   B.T.W.  X-modem is quite a bit faster if it's available, I have a PD program
   to generate Procomm scripts so you can autodownload a number of files with
   whatever protocol you wish.

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (07/13/86)

In article <186@clan.UUCP> naren@clan.UUCP (Narendra Mehta) writes:
>I have been unable to use the kermit protocol of ProComm 2.3 with a UNIX
>4.2BSD machine as  well as the local BBS.  The upload/download times out
>with 'Exchanging initialization parameters' message.  The kermit on the unix
>is version 4C(057) dated 30 July 85.  The xmodem protocol works just fine.

I can't offer suggestions, but I can add to the database -- I also can't connect
with a UNIX kermit using ProComm 2.3.  However, I can use Kermit/VMS running on
a VAX with VMS (version 4.x?), and a kermit running under VM on an IBM 4381.

sock@gumby.UUCP (07/13/86)

IS the redial not working for everybody or is it just mine, when I try redialingall I get is the timer ticking away while my modem does nothing. Has this occur
to anyone.... Please E-mail me if you know how to solve it. Thanks.

																	Isabella
																	(sock@gumby.UUCP)

lau@ubc-ean.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <721@iuvax.UUCP> bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) writes:
>In article <186@clan.UUCP> naren@clan.UUCP (Narendra Mehta) writes:
>>I have been unable to use the kermit protocol of ProComm 2.3 with a UNIX
>>4.2BSD machine as  well as the local BBS.  The upload/download times out
>>with 'Exchanging initialization parameters' message.  The kermit on the unix
>>is version 4C(057) dated 30 July 85.  The xmodem protocol works just fine.
>
>I can't offer suggestions, but I can add to the database -- I also can't connect
>with a UNIX kermit using ProComm 2.3.  However, I can use Kermit/VMS running on
>a VAX with VMS (version 4.x?), and a kermit running under VM on an IBM 4381.

The following are the settings that I use to connect with UNIX:
1)  Control quote character..   35 (ASCII)
2)  Maximum packet size         90
3)  Pad character 	        0  (ASCII)
4)  Number of pad character     0
5)  8th bit quote char	        38 (ASCII)
6)  8th bit quoting 	        OFF
7)  End of line char	        13 (ASCII)
8)  File type	                BINARY or TEXT
9)  Block check type 		3 byte CRC

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (07/14/86)

> In article <186@clan.UUCP> naren@clan.UUCP (Narendra Mehta) writes:
> >I have been unable to use the kermit protocol of ProComm 2.3 with a UNIX
> >4.2BSD machine as  well as the local BBS.	....
> >Any suggestions? 		N.Mehta, Carleton University

I had the same problem, until someone explained. All you have to do is
to tell kermit to SET PARITY EVEN and SET FILE TYPE BINARY if neccesary.

Mike Gingell   ..decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

u14@pucc-j (Dan Severance) (07/14/86)

This is how my Procomm 2.3 Kermit setup looks for text transfers:

    1) Control quote char ... 35  (ASCII)
    2) Maximum packet size .. 94
    3) Pad character ........ 0   (ASCII)
    4) Number of pad chars .. 0
    5) 8th bit quote char ... 38  (ASCII)
    6) 8th-bit quoting ...... ON
    7) End of line char ..... 13  (ASCII)
    8) File type ............ TEXT          { BINARY for binary transfers }
    9) Block check type ..... 3 BYTE CRC

My C-kermit parameters on UNIX 4.2BSD are :

 Line: /dev/tty, speed: -1, mode: remote, modem-dialer: direct
 Parity: even, duplex: full, flow: xon/xoff, handshake: none

Protocol Parameters:   Send    Receive
 Timeout:               10       10
 Padding:                0        0
 Pad Character:          0        0
 Packet Start:           1        1
 Packet End:            13       13
 Packet Length:         94       94

Block Check Type: 3, Delay: 5
8th-Bit Prefix:      '&'
Repeat-Count Prefix: '~'

File parameters:
 File Names:   converted      Debugging Log:    none
 File Type:    text           Packet Log:       none
 File Warning: off            Session Log:      none
 File Display: on             Transaction Log:  none

Incomplete File Disposition: discard, Init file: .kermrc

    Improper parity or framing can also cause failures in transfer,
I also use the same setup with an IBM3081 with the VM operating
system.

    I hope this helps.  The UNIX and VM systems here have 7 data bits and
EVEN parity for reference on the above values. The UNIX C-kermit here assumes
No parity by default, so I had to change it to EVEN.

				   Dan Severance