[net.micro.pc] Disk Optimizer Software

toms@oakhill.UUCP (Thomas Spohrer) (07/09/86)

     I have several questions about disk optimizer software.  I
understand that some improvement in speed can be realized if a disk
(hard or soft) is rewritten with all files on contigious sectors.  The
questions are as follows:

     1) Many commercial software companies claim great speed enhancements
	with thier optimizers.  Just how much faster would one honestly
	expect the system to work?  (Typical and Best-case statisitcs
 	would be very useful.)

     2) How long do these programs take to do thier job (assume 640K of
 	RAM is available, and a 20Mb hard disk) ?  Is it faster to
	simply back up the disk and then copy every thing back?

     3) Lastly, are there any GOOD public domain programs that can do
 	this operation?

Please mail me any information and comments and I will summarize to the
net.  Thanks in advance.

Motorola Semiconductors                     Tom Spohrer
Austin, Texas                {seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!toms

jnl@inuxh.UUCP (John Le) (07/10/86)

>      I have several questions about disk optimizer software........
>
>      1) Many commercial software companies claim great speed enhancements
> 	with thier optimizers.  Just how much faster would one honestly
> 	expect the system to work?  (Typical and Best-case statisitcs
>  	would be very useful.)

	This depends how big your files are.  For a typical file say 10k
	in size, I could not see any speed improment.

>      2) How long do these programs take to do thier job (assume 640K of
>  	RAM is available, and a 20Mb hard disk) ?  Is it faster to
> 	simply back up the disk and then copy every thing back?

	Disk Optimizer takes about 5-10 min to reorganize an 10M HD (I
	also have 640K RAM) for an 20M HD, just double to time, I assume.

>      3) Lastly, are there any GOOD public domain programs that can do
>  	this operation?

	I heard there's one call HARDDOG (sp?).  I don't have my hands
	on it yet so I couldn't tell you how good it is.

> Please mail me any information and comments and I will summarize to the
> net.  Thanks in advance.

> Motorola Semiconductors                     Tom Spohrer
> Austin, Texas                {seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!toms

	You're welcome.

	John N. Le (AT&T IS/CPL Indpls, IN)
	ihnp4!inuxc!inuxh!jnl

kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (07/12/86)

In article <444@inuxh.UUCP> jnl@inuxh.UUCP (John Le) writes:

>>      I have several questions about disk optimizer software........
>>
>>      3) Lastly, are there any GOOD public domain programs that can do
>>  	this operation?
>>
>	I heard there's one call HARDDOG (sp?).  I don't have my hands
>	on it yet so I couldn't tell you how good it is.

I tried the optimizer called DOG (it's available via anonymous ftp in
the CC.GALVIN.PUBLIC directory on R20.UTEXAS.EDU) on my 20M hard disk
running DOS 2.1.  I have about 900 files and 15M used.  After preparing
a file (ORDER.DOG) that lists the order you wish the files to be ordered
after the optimization, I ran DOG.  It reported to be analysing the disk
then quit with an out of memory error.  I have 334K of free memory.  The
documentation indicates about 34 bytes is used for each file, so there
should have been plenty of memory.  This was version 1.0 so perhaps there
is a newer version.

If anyone else has any experience with this program, please let me know
--
	Don Kneller
UUCP:	...ucbvax!ucsfcgl!kneller

caf@omen.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <9912@cgl.ucsf.edu.ucsfcgl.UUCP> kneller@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Don Kneller%Langridge) writes:
:after the optimization, I ran DOG.  It reported to be analysing the disk
:then quit with an out of memory error.  I have 334K of free memory.  The
:should have been plenty of memory.  This was version 1.0 so perhaps there
:is a newer version.

I've run dog101a on a 640k PC with a nearly full 10MB Maynard hard disk
with no problems. That file system had not been reloaded for a very long
time, more than a year I think (it runs Telegodzilla, the Pro-YAM Demand
Upgrade public access bulletin board).

DOG101a took quite a wile to run, and I don't notice a significant subjective
increase in the speed of disk operations.

What would be interesting would be a program that (in place!) changes the
interleave factor file by file according to wether it is a program, directory,
or sequential data file ...

   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
   Author of Professional-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
 Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
Voice: 503-621-3406 TeleGodzilla: 621-3746 300/1200 L.sys entry for omen:
omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (07/15/86)

In <444@inuxh.UUCP> jnl@inuxh.UUCP (John Le) writes:
>	Disk Optimizer takes about 5-10 min to reorganize an 10M HD (I
>	also have 640K RAM) for an 20M HD, just double to time, I assume.

On an AT (8MHz) with a ST225 20M, Disk Optimizer took an hour to finish.
Of course, analyze said it was at 35% when it started, so I don't think
that this is poor performance.

--
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

"Are you in charge here?"  "No, but I'm full of ideas!" -- Doctor Who