[net.micro.pc] New version of Basic Compiler?

hsgj@batcomputer.UUCP (07/14/86)

   I have the IBM Basic Compiler, which is pretty nice.  When I run it
it says "Version 1.0, copyright 1982" and the Link program is copyright
1982 and Version 1.1.
   I have seen people on net.micro.pc talk about a Bascom Version 2.0.
My question is, what difference is there between the two versions?
Ok, ok, obviously it is better, or IBM wouldn't have bothered to upgrade
it.  But I am wondering what, if anything is significantly changed?
Is the resultant .EXE smaller, or faster, or what?

Some problems I have had with V 1.0 is that I don't think the RND
(Random Number) works right.  This is because an interpreted BASICA
program produces a nice set of random occurrances, but the compiled
version is always giving me the same string of "random" numbers.  And
yes, I tried it with and without "RANDOMIZE TIMER" but adding that
command just gave me a new set of repeatable random numbers.

If anyone has any input on generating RND's, or knows about the advisability
of upgrading to version 2.0 (how much cost, btw?) could you let me
know by mail?  And maybe cc: to the net, too.
Much thanks,

--
Dan Green    ARPA:    hsgj%vax2.ccs.cornell.edu@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu
~~~~~~~~~    BITNET:  hsgj@cornella

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/15/86)

In article <614@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU> hsgj@batcomputer.TN.CORNELL.EDU (Dan Green) writes:

>   I have the IBM Basic Compiler, which is pretty nice.  When I run it
>it says "Version 1.0, copyright 1982" and the Link program is copyright
>1982 and Version 1.1.
>   I have seen people on net.micro.pc talk about a Bascom Version 2.0.
>My question is, what difference is there between the two versions?
>Ok, ok, obviously it is better, or IBM wouldn't have bothered to upgrade
>it.  But I am wondering what, if anything is significantly changed?
>Is the resultant .EXE smaller, or faster, or what?

All kinds of nice goodies have been added.  The major one being that complete
DOS paths are now supported.  If I remember correctly, the 2.01 compiler is
equal to the BASICA of PC-DOS 3.10.

But, Microsoft has just announced the release of QuickBASIC 2.0, which has
a built in editor, debugging, BASICA compatibility and a few other things,
all for the same 1.0 price of $99.00.  It beats the price of IBM.  Besides,
the upgrade period to go from IBM 1.0 to 2.0 has expired and Microsoft's
version is cheaper.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \