[net.micro.pc] SCO Xenix and Add on Memory

jantypas@wolf.UUCP (John Antypas) (07/01/86)

Well with an AT coming soon, I now have to choose what type of memory
to put on my AT.  I plan to be running SCO on it sometime.  Can I
use cards which use the LIM system of memory instead of an AST Rampage.
(I can't really afford a Rampage.)

What does SCO need?

John Antypas

uucp: ...!ihnp4!jack!man!wolf!jantypas
arpa: jantypas@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (07/01/86)

XENIX-286 (and any other UNIX which runs in protected mode on the PC/AT)
requires memory boards which fill the 16meg address space of the 286, such
as the AST ATvantage and the AST RAMvantage.  There are "generic" versions
of such boards, too, if the AST boards are too expensive for you.

The LIM and EEMS boards like the RAMpage and the Intel Above Board use
a kind of bank-switching, allowing DOS to map multiple pages of memory into
parts of the 640K address space of the 8086 and the 286 in real mode,
which is of no use for any version of UNIX on a 286.
--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU

mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman) (07/03/86)

In article <347@spdcc.UUCP> dyer@spdcc.UUCP (Steve Dyer) writes:
>XENIX-286 (and any other UNIX which runs in protected mode on the PC/AT)
>requires memory boards which fill the 16meg address space of the 286, such
>as the AST ATvantage and the AST RAMvantage.  There are "generic" versions
>of such boards, too, if the AST boards are too expensive for you.
>
>The LIM and EEMS boards like the RAMpage and the Intel Above Board use
>a kind of bank-switching, allowing DOS to map multiple pages of memory into
>parts of the 640K address space of the 8086 and the 286 in real mode,
>which is of no use for any version of UNIX on a 286.
>--
>Steve Dyer
>dyer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
>{linus,wanginst,bbncca,bbnccv,harvard,ima,ihnp4}!spdcc!dyer

Steve, the AST RAMpage AT board can be configured to use its memory (up to
2mb/board, 8mb/system) as conventional (DOS <640k), expanded (bank-switched
or "paged") and/or extended (non-paged, protected mode) in any combination.

I believe, though I'm not sure, that the Intel Above-board AT can do the
same.

Disclaimer... blah connection with AST blah Intel blah blah blah, etc.

--

Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (07/03/86)

If SCO is not providing information on memory in their advertising, ask
them (or a dealer).  Also see if the way they use it will help your
applications.  I could add more RAM to this Lisa, but SCO said it would
only give me more user memory (as opposed to larger system tables or
a RAM disk).  I don't need more user memory...just more computer (no, don't
send salespeople..we're already deep in evaluation).
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon  Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.             quest!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 08 W   (612)481-3507         {ihnp4,philabs}!mecc!sewilco

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <138@wolf.UUCP> jantypas@wolf.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>Well with an AT coming soon, I now have to choose what type of memory
>to put on my AT.  I plan to be running SCO on it sometime.  Can I
>use cards which use the LIM system of memory instead of an AST Rampage.
>(I can't really afford a Rampage.)
>
>What does SCO need?

SCO uses contiguous memory (AST Advantage! style). My manual (v2.0.6)
does not indicate that it is able to use either of the extended memory
standards which are available for AT or XT. On the other hand the vdisk
with PCDOS3.1 will use the linear extended memory for RAMdisk, so it
won't go to waste.

Hope this helps
--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"