[net.micro.pc] IBM AT 20 Meg HD --> Possible Crash ?

sock@gumby.UUCP (Sock Leng Ng) (07/01/86)

When I did alot of I/O with the C drive, I somethimes get the message
Error Reading in Drive C: when I type Chkdsk. Now it has gone away. But
Sometimes in Turbo Pascal 3.0 where I edit programs and tried to save them,
it hangs the computer. Does anybody Have similar problems with their original
C: drive from IBM. Please Mail me, does this mean the HD is going to crash ?
Thanks in Advance !

							Isabella

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <317@gumby.UUCP> sock@gumby.UUCP (Sock Leng Ng) writes:
>When I did alot of I/O with the C drive, I somethimes get the message
>Error Reading in Drive C: when I type Chkdsk. Now it has gone away. But
>Sometimes in Turbo Pascal 3.0 where I edit programs and tried to save them,
>it hangs the computer. Does anybody Have similar problems with their original
>C: drive from IBM. Please Mail me, does this mean the HD is going to crash ?

I doubt that anyone can tell for sure if your disk is going to crash,
but I'd keep it backed up if it were mine! After a great deal of abuse
was heaped on CMI for their 20 MB drive, the following are FACTS:

  1) IBM admited that they had some bad disk controllers (faulty chip)
     and has a test program which will determine if the controller is
     bad. The problem is prevalent in, but not restricted to, a certain
     batch of controllers.
  2) The CMI drives do not park on power down. If they are not "parked"
     before moving they may be damaged. Moving means just that,
     including pulling the system out to move a cable.
  3) I checked with the repair pool where I work, and they have not seen
     any unusual failure rate. Like any other drive they do fail. This
     represents at least 40000 power on hours.
  4) I have personally seen several cases of failure attributed to the
     drive (progressive increasing numbers of bad tracks) which turned
     out to be the controller. I have yet to see a disk fail in this
     way. When they fail, like most disks they tend to crash heads.
  5) Certain companies, notably CORE, even after IBM had admited that
     many failures were due to poor quality drives. They offered to
     build a reef with discarded CMI drives traded in on CORE drives.
     ** opinion **
     I don't consider (5) ethical advertising and will never personally
     buy one of their drives. The drives are very similar to CDC drives
     sold at lower prices by other vendors.

Disclamer: I have no connection with any of these companies, but work
with users of over 100 ATs. These opinions are purely my own.
--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"