[net.micro.pc] What about PC's Limited

sid@linus.UUCP (Sid Stuart) (07/04/86)

	I have decided to byte the bullit and buy a personal computer. After
reading several trade magazines, it appears to me that PC's Limited AT is a
nice machine for a good price. I can configure a system with a 40 meg disk
for less than 3K. My question is, do you guys know of problems with the
company/product?

					sid@linus

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (07/07/86)

> 	I have decided to byte the bullit and buy a personal computer. After
> reading several trade magazines, it appears to me that PC's Limited AT is a
> nice machine for a good price. I can configure a system with a 40 meg disk
> for less than 3K. My question is, do you guys know of problems with the
> company/product?
>
> 					sid@linus

I just received an AT from PC's limited last Thursday. In the few days
I have had it I have decided it was a good buy. Construction is
excellent and everything works as advertized. The mother board is
first class and has a number of VLSI chips on it.  A review in PC mag
a few months ago indicated the mother board was made by Faraday
Electronics ( who have been making PC mother boards for the OEM
market for some time ) however this one has got Copyright PC's
limited on it so who knows.

I bought the base unit for $1495. With that you get 1 Meg of memory
(512 regular PC memory and 512 extended memory above 1 meg), a
dual floppy/hard disk controller, a 1.2 Meg floppy and a half card
which has 2 serial and 1 parrallel port on it. I have also ordered
a 30 Meg CMI drive from BCE liquidators for $349. So for $1850 you
have a full AT except for your choice of display adapter and monitor.

Overall I think it is a good deal. My only complaint is with the
temporary documentation they sent. Supposedly a complete new manual
is in the works and will be mailed soon.

PC's limited have a help phone line which you can call in case of
trouble or if you just don't understand something. I called this
morning to get some questions about adding hard disks answered. It
took at least 5 attempts to get through and then the system put me
on hold "until the next available agent is available". When I did
get through the person that answered was very courteous and helpful.

Mike Gingell   ...decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!mjg

PS No connection with PC's Ltd except I own one of their PCs.
PPS Anyone want to buy a genuine old PC ?
PPPS You can't boot up at 8 MHz you have to hit CTRL-ALT-/

dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) (07/08/86)

In article <192@linus.UUCP> sid@sandy.UUCP () writes:

>	I have decided to byte the bullit and buy a personal computer. After
>reading several trade magazines, it appears to me that PC's Limited AT is a
>nice machine for a good price. I can configure a system with a 40 meg disk
>for less than 3K. My question is, do you guys know of problems with the
>company/product?
>
>					sid@linus

I haven't had many dealings with the company itself (and I am considering
purchasing their machine for the company I work for), but in the June 30,
1986 issue of FidoNews (available on your local FIDO bulletin board), there
is an article about a VERY unhappy PC's Limited customer.  It seems he
purchased a hard drive from them, which failed.  He sent it back, only
to have it come back DOA.  After getting another RA (wow; lot of acronyms!)
from the company, he sent it back.  A long period of time passed without
his receiving his drive, and repeated letters and calls to the company
elicited no response.  So at the time of his 'warning letter' via the FIDO
network, he had essentially lost the $700 he spent on the hard disk, not
to mention not even having the drive itself.  I suggest you get the
FidoNews and read it, as it contains copies of the various letters he sent
along with responses; I'd be VERY wary in dealing with the company after
even one such incident.

-dg-

...!ihnp4!chinet!helm!dave
...!philabs!sbcs!helm!dave

The opinions expressed herein are MINE, dammit, and will REMAIN mine! Of
course, if  you'd like to use my opinions, feel free to contact me about
my royalty rates.

"Just another lonely BITNETter trying to get home.."

ear@duke.UUCP (07/14/86)

In article <530@helm.UUCP> dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) writes:

>is an article about a VERY unhappy PC's Limited customer.  It seems he
>purchased a hard drive from them, which failed.  He sent it back, only
>to have it come back DOA.  After getting another RA (wow; lot of acronyms!)

I too bought a hard drive from PC's Limited.  A month after I ordered it,
I had yet to receive my disk drive.  I called them up, and guess what, they
could not find any record of my order (my cancelled chack said otherwise).
After a week or so of talking to them, they called me back to tell me that
they had been unable to ship my drive because they did not have FCC approval.
They said approval was coming 'any day now' so I decided to wait for the
drive.  Lo and behold, a few weeks later the drive came.  I quickly installed
it have have had nary a problem with it since.

--
Eric A. Raymond                                   UUCP: ...decvax!mcnc!duke!ear

toddo@uhmanoa.UUCP (Todd Ogasawara) (07/15/86)

In article <7905@duke.duke.UUCP> ear@duke.UUCP (Eric A. Raymond) writes:
>In article <530@helm.UUCP> dave@helm.UUCP (David Goldblatt) writes:
>>
>> [PC Limited horror story here]
>

>I too bought a hard drive from PC's Limited.  A month after I ordered it,
>I had yet to receive my disk drive.  I called them up, and guess what, they
>could not find any record of my order (my cancelled chack said otherwise).
>After a week or so of talking to them, they called me back to tell me that
>they had been unable to ship my drive because they did not have FCC approval.
>They said approval was coming 'any day now' so I decided to wait for the
>drive.  Lo and behold, a few weeks later the drive came.  I quickly installed
>it have have had nary a problem with it since.

	<FIRST> I have never dealt with PCs Limited.
	<SECOND> I do think such service is a *lot* worse than other mail
	order houses.  I have dealt with numerous mail order houses and gotten
	much better service than has been described in the previous messages
	about PCs Limited.  For instance, when I ordered my 30M hard disk from
	PC Source the unit was delivered one working week after calling.
	Further, my credit card was not charged to until the drive was actually
	shipped (the day after I called).

--
Todd Ogasawara, University of Hawaii, Dept. of Psychology

UUCP:     {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!
				      \
                                ihnp4!__\__ uhmanoa!toddo
					/
      {backbone}!sdcsvax!noscvax!humu!/
                       /
                clyde/

ARPA: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

** I used to be: ogasawar@nosc.ARPA & ogasawar@noscvax.UUCP

communcg@ecsvax.UUCP (07/17/86)

I bought the PC Limited AT just before they dropped the price
$500 (ugh!).  My unit has the 40 meg hard disk (configured
as 2 20-meg drives).  It also comes with the software to configure
it this way.  I've had no problems with compatibility with
major software (e.g., Word, WordPerfect, Lotus), although it
won't run things that none of the ATs can (e.g., FlightSimulator).
There is one problem: if you need to run PC/DOS, it won't run
version 3.2.  Version 3.1 runs fine as does Compac MSDOS,
Quadram MSDOS, and a host of others.

My only complaints are about the company.  They have the
worst customer relations I have ever encountered.  They seem
to have an attitude that they don't have to do anything to please
you..  If there's a problem with the machine, you're largely out
of luck.  I saw a message posted on the net to the effect that
they have been reported to the Better Business Bureau many times.
Their equipment is good, but their attitudes not.  I will say,
tho, that their technical support is very good.  I called after
getting my system, because it wouldn't boot at all.  After some
troubleshooting, it turned out that the problem was in a dip
switch; they configure it for a monochrome monitor (and don't
say so in the manual) and I was using a color monitor.  After
I changed that, everything worked fine.  One other consideration:
there are a lot of jumpers on the motherboard and they're a PAIN
to change.  I've had to remove the hard drive (or the motherboard)
to do some changes.  PC Limited is working on a new set of ROMs;
so some day they may have PCDOS 3.2 compatibility.  That is one
thing to consider.  Will the system be compatible with MSDOS 5.0??
I don't know.

By the way, an indication of their bad customer relations: I called
when I wanted to run PCDOS 3.2 and was told the new ROMs would allow
it to run (This was a few days before my 30-day trial would be up).
I told them I wanted to make sure, or I'd be returning the system
now.  They PROMISED the  new ROMs would work.  When they arrived,
after the 30-day period, of course, they didn't provide 3.2
ccompatibility.  With the problems with 3.2, that really isn't
a problem, but it is indicative of their attitude.

Cindy King       communcg@ecsvax.UUCP