[net.micro.pc] Question about CMI 30MB drive

slc@psuecl.BITNET (06/29/86)

The manufacture,CMI,made the 20MB drives for the early IBM AT's. There were
many problems with that drive when used with AT. A company claims that CMI's
30MB drives are totally different (trouble free) from the 20MB drives and
sells it for only $349!
Does anyone have experience or information about this particular drive?

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (07/01/86)

In <278@PSUECL> slc@psuecl.BITNET writes:
>The manufacture,CMI,made the 20MB drives for the early IBM AT's. There were
>many problems with that drive when used with AT. A company claims that CMI's
>30MB drives are totally different (trouble free) from the 20MB drives and
>sells it for only $349!
>Does anyone have experience or information about this particular drive?

CMI's 20M drive bite the big one.  The ones that format to around 30M are
terrific.  They make an odd noise when you first turn on your system, but
they work great.  Core's disk test program says it has an access time of 37.4
mSec.  As I have previously posted, at $349, these drive are a spectacular
buy.

I have nothing to lose or gain whether you buy it or not, I just like them.
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <2013@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>In <278@PSUECL> slc@psuecl.BITNET writes:
>The manufacture,CMI,made the 20MB drives for the early IBM AT's. There were
>many problems with that drive when used with AT. A company claims that CMI's
>30MB drives are totally different (trouble free) from the 20MB drives and
>sells it for only $349!
>Does anyone have experience or information about this particular drive?

Used on for 15 months... no problem (type 3). However, IBM XENIX v1.0
won't work right on it (SCO works fine).

--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

st49th@sdcc12.UUCP (07/20/86)

In article <838@steinmetz.UUCP> davidsen@kbsvax.UUCP (Davidsen) writes:
>In article <2013@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>>In <278@PSUECL> slc@psuecl.BITNET writes:
>>The manufacture,CMI,made the 20MB drives for the early IBM AT's. There were
>>many problems with that drive when used with AT. A company claims that CMI's
>>30MB drives are totally different (trouble free) from the 20MB drives and
>>sells it for only $349!
>>Does anyone have experience or information about this particular drive?
>
>Used on for 15 months... no problem (type 3). However, IBM XENIX v1.0
>won't work right on it (SCO works fine).

I have used one for about 15 months as well. I was never able to use all
30 Meg when I had the original 1.0 version of XENIX. Now that I have
version 2.0 everything works fine! Version 2.0 Xenix will support
basically any hard drive that is in the bios table.

Shawn Bosley