[net.micro.pc] How do I get DOS to search a path for files?

kens@tekecs.UUCP (Ken Serack) (07/08/86)

I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).

I understand that DOS 3.1 has a substitute command that sort of does
this. Is there some sort of fix that will allow me to do this
for DOS 2.0 (preferably public domain)? If you know how to do this,
please let me know.

Ken Serack
tektronix!tekecs!kens
(503) 685-2989

dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) (07/09/86)

In article <7423@tekecs.UUCP> kens@tekecs.UUCP writes:
>I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
>that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
>path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).
>
>I understand that DOS 3.1 has a substitute command that sort of does
>this. Is there some sort of fix that will allow me to do this
>for DOS 2.0 (preferably public domain)? If you know how to do this,
>please let me know.

It isn't Public Domain, but SDA Associates has a nice little program
called Filepath that teaches programs (like Wordstar, etc) everything
they need to know about paths.  It is easy to use.  I put it in a batch
file for automatic start up.

I am NOT connected with SDA except as a happy user of Filepath.

The US Navy does not neseccarily agree or disagree with any statments
made buy its employees.

dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. Dobbs) (07/09/86)

In article <7423@tekecs.UUCP> kens@tekecs.UUCP writes:
>I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
>that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
>path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).

I forgat to give the address of SDA.

                SDA Associates
                P.O. Box 36152
                San Jose, Ca  95158

                Phone (408) 281-7747

brown@nicmad.UUCP (07/10/86)

In article <7423@tekecs.UUCP> kens@tekecs.UUCP (Ken Serack) writes:
>I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
>that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
>path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).
>
>I understand that DOS 3.1 has a substitute command that sort of does
>this. Is there some sort of fix that will allow me to do this
>for DOS 2.0 (preferably public domain)? If you know how to do this,
>please let me know.

There is in the public domain, a program called SEARCH.  I use it on my
XT all the time.  It works great, especially with VolksWriter, since
it has to find all of its files.

To get a copy, call the Nicolet BBS: NICBUL.  It is on line from 6pm to
8am M-F and all day on weekends (CT).  The number is (608) 273-5037.
If you can't call in, check your local BBS.  If you can't do that, let
me know via e-mail and I will try and get to you the binary uuencoded.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \

jmsellens@watdragon.UUCP (John M Sellens) (07/22/86)

In article <638@marlin.UUCP> dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. dobbs) writes:
>In article <7423@tekecs.UUCP> kens@tekecs.UUCP writes:
>>I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
>>that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
>>path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).
>>

>It isn't Public Domain, but SDA Associates has a nice little program
>called Filepath that ...

I have *both* Filepath and SCOUT, and I use SCOUT.  What both these
prgrams do is set up a search path for files, so when a program
tries to open a file, it will find it if it's anywhere along this
path - very convenient for overlays, include files, help files, etc.

SCOUT lets you assign a drive letter to a directory (like the DOS 3.1
utility does?), mark them read only, change it on the fly, etc.  It's
a good, cheap program that has worked well for me for around 2 years.
A year and a half ago it went for $24.95, and they sold me additional
licenses for $7.50 each, which I felt was too cheap so I paid them
$15 each instead.

Anyway, they are nice people to deal with, and they are:
    Computer Insights
    PO Box 110097
    Pittsburgh PA
    15232
(or at least they were a year ago).

No connection except as a very satisfied customer.

John

dlnash@ut-ngp.UUCP (Donald L. Nash) (07/23/86)

> >>I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
> >>that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
> >>path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).
> >>

> >It isn't Public Domain, but SDA Associates has a nice little program
> >called Filepath that ...
>
> I have *both* Filepath and SCOUT, and I use SCOUT.  What both these
> prgrams do is set up a search path for files, so when a program
> tries to open a file, it will find it if it's anywhere along this
> path - very convenient for overlays, include files, help files, etc.

Putting in my two cents worth, I have DPATH, which does the same thing.
It allows you to set up a separate data path or use the DOS PATH.  You
can read or write to files along the data path, but writing to them is
discouraged because it can cause a big mess.  The write option can be
turned off (which is the default).  DPATH is also public domain, so you
really get your money's worth :-).  I highly recommend it.  I don't know
how I lived without it.  I'd be willing to post it somewhere, but I
don't have the sources, only the executables and documentation.  Too bad
there is not something like net.binaries.ibmpc.

					Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4, allegra, seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
APRA:    dlnash@ngp.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  cceu001@UTADNX, dlnash@UTADNX

        Money for nothing and chicks for free?  WHERE?!?!

sjk@onecom.uucp (Scott J. Kamin) (07/24/86)

In article <1242@watdragon.UUCP> jmsellens@watdragon.UUCP (John M Sellens)

>In article <638@marlin.UUCP> dobbs@marlin.UUCP (Lynn B. dobbs) writes:
>>In article <7423@tekecs.UUCP> kens@tekecs.UUCP writes:
>>>I have some application programs (word-processors, spread-sheets, etc)
>>>that do not know about subdirectories. How can I get dos to search a
>>>path of subdirectories for file names (sort of like CDPATH in cshell).
>>

>>It isn't Public Domain, but SDA Associates has a nice little program
>>called Filepath that ...

>I have *both* Filepath and SCOUT, and I use SCOUT.

I'd like to put in another plug for SCOUT. I've been using it on my
   Columbia PC for 2 years and it has far exceeded my expectations.

In addition to allowing my DOS 1.1 applications to run in
   subdirectories on my hard disk. It also allows me to increase the
   size of my path without using up all my DOS 2.11 environment space.

My path looks like c:\;i:;x:;y:;z:
where all "drives" above d are SCOUT pseudo-drives (i.e. are mapped to
   subdirectories of my hard disk).

I have yet to find a circumstance where SCOUT was not perfectly behaved
   including with SuperKey and SideKick loaded after it. Also, I have
   never found a program which defeated the SCOUT search mechanism or
   questioned the validity of it's pseudo-drives. (this includes
   Norton's Utilities, which reports that I have 26 drives).

They are also the only company I have ever dealt with who shipped me
   their product along with a bill. When I called them to ask they
   said, we'll send it out - if you like it, send us a check.
   Otherwise, just send it back.

>Anyway, they are nice people to deal with, and they are:
>    Computer Insights
>    PO Box 110097
>    Pittsburgh PA 15232
>(or at least they were a year ago).

--

Scott J. Kamin			{stcvax, isis, ihnp4}!onecom!sjk
OneCom, Inc.