[net.micro.pc] What is NANSI.SYS?

authorplaceholder@inmet.UUCP (07/11/86)

Could someone please explain what NANSI.SYS is, and how it differs
from ANSI.SYS, and how I test it on my system to see if it works
okay?

	== Christine King
	   ...!ihnp4!ima!inmet!bcking
	   Intermetrics, Inc.  733 Concord Avenue Cambridge MA 02138

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (07/13/86)

NANSI.sys is a shareware replacement for the MS-DOS screen driver ANSI.SYS
and is completely compatible with the original, so far as I have tested it.
In addition to the standard escape sequences to clear the screen, underline
words and show them in reverse video, change colors etc. it also has
escape sequences that let you insert and delete lines and characters on
the screen.  Cursor motions are also supported.  Tabs are set by default
every 8 columns but are replaced by spaces on input, so the "insert, delete"
character functions behave as if the text had spaces to begin with -- OK
sometimes but not others.

NANSI.SYS is optimized for multiple-character writes to the screen.  It is
a smidgen faster for single character writes, but nothing short of
spectacular for multiple-character writes.  To get the maximum speed from
it you must set stdin to "raw" mode -- a set of small routines is included
in the package to help you do this -- and then write as many characters to the
screen in one gulp as possible.  I am writing a Reduced Instruction Set text
editor in C which emits escape sequences for NANSI.SYS; I require no other
assembly-language "speed-ups" to make it operate acceptably fast -- screen
updates for the most part appear instantaneous, including those cases where
I must re-write the entire screen.  It blinks quickly, and the new text is
there to read.  I was astonished.

The failure to handle tabs "properly" is the only shortcoming I've noticed ...
and that is really more a matter of taste than anything else.  The popular
shareware editor PC-WRITE also replaces tabs with spaces on input.  For my
application the RISTE must be included as part of another program, and "true"
tab action is needed.  I found I could re-write a whole screen line from
the internal text buffer so fast that single-character operations were
completely unnecessary, and "true" tab operations could be included without
any speed sacrifice.

If you're still using ANSI.SYS you are wasting your time -- literally.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (07/14/86)

[nibbles and bits ...]

>Could someone please explain what NANSI.SYS is, and how it differs
>from ANSI.SYS, and how I test it on my system to see if it works
>okay? 		== Christine King

It is a more efficient console device driver.  If you any of the MS DOS
"Software Developer's Kits", or "Programmer's Tool Kits" available for
the various permutations of PC/MS DOS, you will see the source for the
current ANSI.SYS in assembler form.  The driver from Microsoft is slow,
kludgy, and does support even full ANSI escape sequences.  The author
of NANSI.SYS set out to write a better console device driver, that is
both faster and more efficient, and to include more escape sequences
recognized by the program.  Its sources and assembled versions are public
domain, and you are welcome to use them on your machine.  It supports
the new EGA video adaptors in 43-line mode, as well as most of the mono-
chrome modes; ANSI.SYS does not.

There is another public domain program out that overrides the weaknesses
built into the ANSI.SYS driver -- it is the FANSI.SYS (or FANSI-CONSOLE)
driver.  It too is faster, more efficient, and knows more commands, but
it is a FULL implementation of the ANSI standards.  In other words, it
is even better than NANSI.SYS.

To give you an idea, check the screen differences between an IBM XT
running at 4.77 MHz, and one running at 8 MHz.  That's about the same
difference you would get if you installed NANSI.SYS.  Now if you were
to substitute a NEC V20 chip for that 8088-1 running at 8 MHz, you would
see the comparative difference the FANSI.SYS would provide for an older
machine at the slow speed.  These speed-ups are real and are proven.

Now, if you run your machine at 8 Mhz, use a V20 chip, AND load the FANSI.SYS
driver, wow! you will really be zooming along.

Bottom line?  Use NANSI.SYS if you have a copy.  (one was posted to net.
sources about a week ago)  It includes some escape sequences that a few
programs out require.

--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)

stevens@boulder.UUCP (Curt Stevens) (07/14/86)

Could someone out there in net land send me a copy of or pointer to
a copy of NANSI.SYS? It seems that I'm still in the dark ages.

ADVAthanksNCE
---- Curt

Curt Stevens                      |             ||    ---           \
University of Colorado at Boulder |             ||    | |            \
Comp.Sci.(systems)   303/492-6096 |             ||    ---             \
-----------------------------------             ||           =====     |
E-MAIL:                           |             ||           =====     |
..seismo!hao!boulder!stevens.uucp |             ||    ---             /
stevens@boulder.csnet             |             ||    | |            /
stevens%boulder@csnet-relay.arpa  |             ||    ---           /

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (07/15/86)

> >Could someone please explain what NANSI.SYS is, and how it differs
> >from ANSI.SYS, and how I test it on my system to see if it works
> >okay? 		== Christine King
>
> It is a more efficient console device driver.
> [...]
> There is another public domain program out that overrides the weaknesses
> built into the ANSI.SYS driver -- it is the FANSI.SYS (or FANSI-CONSOLE)
> driver.  It too is faster, more efficient, and knows more commands, but
> it is a FULL implementation of the ANSI standards.  In other words, it
> is even better than NANSI.SYS.
>
> -- bob

I have nansi.sys and like it for its manageable source and its speed.  Is
fansi-console also available in source form?  Is it public domain or
inexpensive?  If full ANSI is available in the same good form as nansi.sys,
it sounds like a deal to me.
--
bc				Bill Crews @ NetCor Data International, Inc

..!{seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2266

dean@uw-nsr.UUCP (07/16/86)

In article <5314@ut-sally.UUCP> nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
> NANSI.sys is a shareware replacement for the MS-DOS screen driver ANSI.SYS
> and is completely compatible with the original, so far as I have tested it.
> ....nothing short of spectacular for multiple-character writes....
> I was astonished.
> If you're still using ANSI.SYS you are wasting your time -- literally.
> --
> Ed Nather
> Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin
> {allegra,ihnp4}!{noao,ut-sally}!utastro!nather
> nather@astro.AS.UTEXAS.EDU

Can one get hold source code for this (presumably assembler)?  If so, where?
Thanks.

-Dean	dean@violet.berkeley.edu

dwa@net1.UUCP (07/16/86)

Speaking of NANSI.SYS, does anyone have a good TERMCAP for it?

jnl@inuxh.UUCP (07/16/86)

> Could someone out there in net land send me a copy of or pointer to
> a copy of NANSI.SYS? It seems that I'm still in the dark ages.
>
> ADVAthanksNCE
> ---- Curt

ME TOO!  If anyone have nansi.sys please send it to me or repost to
net.sources.  Thanx.

	John N. Le (AT&T IS/CPL, Indpls, IN)
	ihnp4!inuxh!jnl

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (07/16/86)

>I have nansi.sys and like it for its manageable source and its speed.  Is
>fansi-console also available in source form?  Is it public domain or
>inexpensive?  If full ANSI is available in the same good form as nansi.sys,
>it sounds like a deal to me.

FANSI-CONSOLE is distributed by NO SMOKING SOFTWARE.  It is not "freeware",
but the author is happy to have you try a copy for 10 days, and then buy
it if you like it.  You have to obtain your own copy for this deal however.
The distribution disk is not copy protected, and I have seen older versions
of the distribution on bulletin boards.

FANSI-CONSOLE costs $25 dollars - that includes a disk with a truncated
on-line "printable" copy of the manual.  The full manual costs another $25
(Standard IBM binder, pretty thick, mostly useful to programmers).

The manual says something about the source being available for $400000.00
I think that if the author was a usenet junkie, he would have added a :-)

FANSI-CONSOLE is great!  The latest version supports all the EGA modes,
does pretty complete vt100 emulation, and has scads and scads of supported
ANSI sequences.  It's fast, too.  It has all kinds of configuration options
(One example:  if you have a CGA display board that doesn't "hash", you can
speed up display output by not waiting for video retrace - and a program is
included which shows you if your CGA will "hash" or not).

jerryp@tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) (07/16/86)

In article <918@cyb-eng.UUCP> bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
> I have nansi.sys and like it for its manageable source and its speed.  Is
> fansi-console also available in source form?  Is it public domain or
> inexpensive?  If full ANSI is available in the same good form as nansi.sys,
> it sounds like a deal to me.

It's available from
	Hershey Micro Consulting Inc.
	P.O. Box 8276
	Ann Arbor, Michigan 48107
	phone 313/994-3259

There's an excellent, detailed manual, too.

--Jerry Peek, Tektronix, Inc.
US Mail:    MS 74-222, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077
uucp:       {allegra,decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax}!tektronix!tektools!jerryp
CS,ARPAnet: jerryp%tektools@tektronix.csnet
Phone:      +1 503 627-1603

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (07/17/86)

[ nibbles and bits ... ]

In article <168@net1.UCSD.EDU> dwa@net1.UUCP (Don Anderson) writes:
>Speaking of NANSI.SYS, does anyone have a good TERMCAP for it?

I hope the following helps ... (it works for VT100/102 emulators for
the IBM PC as well, such as Termulator or PC/InterComm):

#
# Termcap entry for IBM PC vt102 emulator: (rv=, nv= and w= optional)
# Ip|pc|ibmvt|ibm-vt|vt102 emulator for the ibm pc (ANSI IBM PC):\
#	:cl=17\E[2J:cd=17\E[J:us=\E[1m:ue=\E[m:pp:\
#	:rv=\E[?5h:nv=\E[?5l:w=\E[?3h:\
#	:tc=vt100-np:
#
Ip|pc|ibmvt|ibm-vt|vt102 emulator for the ibm pc (ANSI IBM PC):\
	:cr=^M:do=^J:nl=^J:bl=^G:co#80:li#24:cl=20\E[H\E[2J:le=^H:\
	:am:bs:cm=2\E[%i%d;%dH:nd=\E[C:up=\E[A:ce=2\E[K:cd=20\E[J:\
	:so=\E[7m:se=\E[m:us=\E[1m:ue=\E[m:md=\E[1m:mr=\E[7m:mb=\E[5m:\
	:me=\E[m:is=\E[1;24r\E[24;1H:rs=\E>\E[?3l\E[?4l\E[?5l\E[?7h\E[?8h:\
	:ks=\E[?1h\E=:ke=\E[?1l\E>:ku=\EOA:kd=\EOB:kr=\EOC:kl=\EOD:kb=^H:\
	:ho=20\E[H:k1=\EOP:k2=\EOQ:k3=\EOR:k4=\EOS:ta=^I:pt:sr=2\EM:vt#3:\
	:sc=\E7:rc=\E8:cs=\E[%i%d;%dr:

--
Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

Let's make like a BSD process, and go FORK-OFF !!	-- bob
(and "make" a few children while we're at it ...)

corwin@cdp.UUCP (07/17/86)

Fanci console is distributed as "shareware" and is available on many BBS's
I've been using it for about a year and am VERY happy with it.  Not only
does it have a complete ANSI emulation, its very fast and supports other
system function such as a "screen saver" which blanks your screen after
a settable amount of time, and allows one to scroll backwards to see stuff
which used to be on your screen.  It has a lot of support for odd ball
video controllers and offers various software compatibility modes.
It comes with a good but partial manual.  When you register and pay for
the software you get a complete and excellant manual.  The program is
updated regularly adding various enhancements.  Higly recommended.
I'd be happy to mail uuencoded arc format of the package to all interested.
-------------------
...hplabs!cdp!corwin
cdp!corwin@glacier.stanford.edu

corwin@cdp.UUCP (07/17/86)

Regarding earlier message:  I forgot to mention that NO source code
is provided.
--- corwin

bet@ecsvax.UUCP (07/17/86)

In article <168@net1.UCSD.EDU> dwa@net1.UUCP (Don Anderson) writes:
>Speaking of NANSI.SYS, does anyone have a good TERMCAP for it?

Here's what I use: it contains definitions for a ANSI.SYS and NANSI.SYS,
each with plain screen (e.g. composite video on IBM CGA), IBM Monochrome
type display (adds attribute for underscoring text), and color displays
(e.g. RGB display on IBM CGA). The color definition is the same as the
plain, except that the end-standout-mode string puts the screen back
into green-on-black, which I prefer on color displays. Share and enjoy!

======================= start of termcaps ==============================
pp|ibmpc|IBM-PC using DOS 2.00 ansi device driver (plain):\
        :am:bs:cd=\E[25M:ce=\E[K:cl=\E[2J:cm=\E[%i%d;%dH:co#80:\
        :do=^J:ho=\E[H:kb=^H:li#25:nd=\E[C:\
        :se=\E[0m:so=\E[1m:up=\E[A:
pm|pcmon|IBM-PC using DOS 2.00 ansi device driver (monochrome):\
        :us=\E[4m:ue=\E[0m:tc=pp:
pc|pccol|IBM-PC using DOS 2.00 ansi device driver (color):\
        :se=\E[0;32m:tc=pp:
np|ibmnc|IBM-PC using NANSI.SYS (plain):\
        :al=\E[L:dc=\E[P:dl=\E[M:ei=:ic=\E[@:im=:tc=pp:
nm|ncmon|IBM-PC using DOS 2.00 ansi device driver (monochrome):\
        :us=\E[4m:ue=\E[0m:tc=np:
nc|nccol|IBM-PC using DOS 2.00 ansi device driver (color):\
        :se=\E[0;32m:tc=np:
======================== end of termcaps ===============================
-Bennett
--

Bennett Todd -- Duke Computation Center, Durham, NC 27706-7756; (919) 684-3695
UUCP: ...{decvax,seismo,philabs,ihnp4,akgua}!mcnc!ecsvax!duccpc!bet

reintom@rocky2.UUCP (07/18/86)

================== uh... ==================

Nansi.sys is now posted to net.sources.

Tom Reingold
--
UUCP:
     seismo|

ARPANET:        reintom@rockefeller.arpa
BITNET:         REINTOM@ROCKVAX

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (07/18/86)

> In article <918@cyb-eng.UUCP> bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) writes:
> > I have nansi.sys and like it for its manageable source and its speed.  Is
> > fansi-console also available in source form?  Is it public domain or
                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > inexpensive?  If full ANSI is available in the same good form as nansi.sys,
> > it sounds like a deal to me.
>
> It's available from
> 	Hershey Micro Consulting Inc.
> 	P.O. Box 8276
> 	Ann Arbor, Michigan 48107
> 	phone 313/994-3259
>
> There's an excellent, detailed manual, too.
>
> --Jerry Peek, Tektronix, Inc.

Thanks, Jerry.  I just called them and have a couple of comments.

First, they are Hersey (not Hershey) Micro Consulting, Inc.

Second, they do not sell the source for Fansi-Console.  The binary with
manual is $75.  Craig answered the phone there and said that they not only
do full ANSI, but also VT100, which is a superset of ANSI.  I think I may
get it.  I normally like to have source, but the main additions I would make
would be those that Hersey has already made, and termcap entries for ANSI
and VT100 abound.
--
bc				Bill Crews @ NetCor Data International

..!{seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2266

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (07/18/86)

> FANSI-CONSOLE is distributed by NO SMOKING SOFTWARE.

After reading Jerry Peek's referral to Hersey Micro Consulting, I was
confused by this, so I called them back.  It turns out that No Smoking
Software is a product line of Hersey's, called such because their video
software does not smoke monitors.

> FANSI-CONSOLE costs $25 dollars - that includes a disk with a truncated
> on-line "printable" copy of the manual.  The full manual costs another $25
> (Standard IBM binder, pretty thick, mostly useful to programmers).

According to Hersey, the product with manual is $75, and the manual on the
diskette doesn't tell about much other than the speedup and ANSI.SYS
comparisons.
--

aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (07/19/86)

In article <574@ecn-pc.UUCP> sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
>[nibbles and bits ...]
>

>There is another public domain program out that overrides the weaknesses
>built into the ANSI.SYS driver -- it is the FANSI.SYS (or FANSI-CONSOLE)
>driver.

Would some kind person consider posting FANSI.SYS to the net so that the
rest of us can see what we are missing?

The Wumpus        UUCP:   {seismo,allegra,decvax}!rochester!ur-tut!aptr
                  BITNET: aptrccss@uorvm

Disclaimer: "Who? When? Me? It was the Booze!"
                                           - M. Binkley

sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) (07/23/86)

In article <522@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:
>In article <574@ecn-pc.UUCP> sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
>>There is another public domain program out that overrides the weaknesses
>>built into the ANSI.SYS driver -- it is the FANSI.SYS (or FANSI-CONSOLE)
>>driver.
>
>Would some kind person consider posting FANSI.SYS to the net so that the
>rest of us can see what we are missing?
>                                           - M. Binkley

I don't have a copy right now -- I clobbered it last time I changed hard drives
(my old one got too many bad sectors....so much for mail order).  It is a
shareware program, and I think the author lives in Ann Arbor MI someplace --
he runs a FIDO bulletin board up there.  Sorry I can't post myself, but I too
would sure appreciate a copy.
					- bob
--

greggt@ncoast.UUCP (Gregg Thompson) (07/24/86)

> In article <522@ur-tut.UUCP> aptr@ur-tut.UUCP (The Wumpus) writes:
> >In article <574@ecn-pc.UUCP> sandersr@ecn-pc.UUCP (Robert C Sanders) writes:
> >>There is another public domain program out that overrides the weaknesses
> >>built into the ANSI.SYS driver -- it is the FANSI.SYS (or FANSI-CONSOLE)
> >>driver.
> >
> >Would some kind person consider posting FANSI.SYS to the net so that the
> >rest of us can see what we are missing?
> >                                           - M. Binkley
>
> I don't have a copy right now -- I clobbered it last time I changed hard drives
> (my old one got too many bad sectors....so much for mail order).  It is a
> shareware program, and I think the author lives in Ann Arbor MI someplace --
> he runs a FIDO bulletin board up there.  Sorry I can't post myself, but I too
> would sure appreciate a copy.
> 					- bob
> --
> Continuing Engineering Education Telecommunications
> Purdue University 		...!ihnp4!pur-ee!pc-ecn!sandersr

	FANSI is a fantastic Ansi program.  The best you will ever find.  FULL
implementation of Ansi and most of the VT52 and others too.  BUT it is NO LONGER
a SHAREWARE program!!!  FCONSOLE has gone commercial with the program because
of the time put into it and all the features it has (supports most computers
and most CGA & EGA boards in almost any mode!).  I forget the price of the
program and the documentation but it isn't that bad for what you get.  If
you have many programs that rely on ANSI stuff try FANSI because the programs
will run MUCH faster!

					Gregg Thompson

{seismo,ihnp4,ucbvax,philabs,microsoft,cbosgd}!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!greggt or
sun!cwruecmp!ncoast!greggt or
pyramid!abic!cwruecmp!ncoast!greggt or
ncoast!greggt@case.csnet or
ncoast!greggt%case.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA