[net.micro.pc] NANSI.SYS snows PC-AT

bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (07/14/86)

You may be wasting your time if you're NOT using NANSI.SYS, but you may
become snow-blind if you DO use it!  It works well on slower machines,
but NANSI.SYS causes display snow (i.e., short little horizontal white
lines scattered all over the screen during display write operations)
on my PC-AT with CGA.  At first I thought it might be because I was
running at 8 MHz instead of 6, but slowing down to 6 MHz did not make
it go away.  The snow isn't too objectionable during single character
writes (like when you're typing in a command), but it's fairly nasty
when you do something display-intensive (like a DIR command, or CLS).

I suggest that whoever is responsible for updating NANSI.SYS take a good
look at the way they've written their character output code.  When that
retrace interval comes along, you've got to get that character shipped
out IMMEDIATELY -- time is very tight!  Are you listening?

Speed is great, but snow is obnoxious.  In the meantime, good ol' ANSI.SYS
works just fine.

bill frolik
hp-pcd!bill

toma@tekgvs.UUCP (07/18/86)

In article <15200027@hpcvlo.UUCP> bill@hp-pcd.UUCP writes:

>You may be wasting your time if you're NOT using NANSI.SYS, but you may
>become snow-blind if you DO use it!  It works well on slower machines,
>but NANSI.SYS causes display snow (i.e., short little horizontal white
>lines scattered all over the screen during display write operations)
>on my PC-AT with CGA.  [...]
>
>I suggest that whoever is responsible for updating NANSI.SYS take a good
>look at the way they've written their character output code.  When that
>retrace interval comes along, you've got to get that character shipped
>out IMMEDIATELY -- time is very tight!  Are you listening?

I didn't write it but I did look at the code.  It doesn't check for retrace!
It works fine on my systems (PCAT with EGA and a Tandy 1000) which have a
properly designed display controller, but it will be bad news with real
IBM CGAs.

On the other hand, I get irritated by software which flashes the display
(and runs slower) to behave on the CGA!

Tom Almy
Tektronix, Inc.

bc@cyb-eng.UUCP (Bill Crews) (07/20/86)

> I didn't write it but I did look at the code.  It doesn't check for retrace!
> It works fine on my systems (PCAT with EGA and a Tandy 1000) which have a
> properly designed display controller, but it will be bad news with real
> IBM CGAs.
>
> On the other hand, I get irritated by software which flashes the display
> (and runs slower) to behave on the CGA!
>
> Tom Almy
> Tektronix, Inc.

I agree that it would be nice if nansi.sys had an option to avoid CGA snow.
But (I hope this doesn't cause flames), I really feel that anyone that
lowers the capabilities of their software to accommodate the CGA should do
so ONLY AS AN OPTION.  That board's been out for 5 years now.  It is time to
move on.  Given how many are out there, an OPTIONAL way to support them
would be nice, though.
--
bc				Bill Crews @ NetCor Data International

..!{seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!cyb-eng!bc  (512) 835-2937

tue@olamb.UUCP (Tue Bertelsen) (07/21/86)

For those interested in snow-removal:

	PC Tech Journal
	June 1986, Vol.4, No.6, pp. 96-107

contains an article on how to achieve instantaneous screen updates
on the CGA without show.

--

 +----------------------+-----------------------+----------------------+
 |                      |  AmbraSoft A/S        | phone +45 2 42 46 22 |

chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu (Brent Chapman) (07/22/86)

In article <15200027@hpcvlo.UUCP> bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) writes:
>You may be wasting your time if you're NOT using NANSI.SYS, but you may
>become snow-blind if you DO use it!  It works well on slower machines,
>but NANSI.SYS causes display snow (i.e., short little horizontal white
>lines scattered all over the screen during display write operations)
>on my PC-AT with CGA.  At first I thought it might be because I was
>running at 8 MHz instead of 6, but slowing down to 6 MHz did not make
>it go away.  The snow isn't too objectionable during single character
>writes (like when you're typing in a command), but it's fairly nasty
>when you do something display-intensive (like a DIR command, or CLS).
>
>I suggest that whoever is responsible for updating NANSI.SYS take a good
>look at the way they've written their character output code.  When that
>retrace interval comes along, you've got to get that character shipped
>out IMMEDIATELY -- time is very tight!  Are you listening?

This problem has already been fixed.  The fixed sources, as well as
executeables for both the original and fixed versions, are available
from Pete Galvin's archive.  Do an anonymous FTP to r20.utexas.edu,
cd to <cc.galvin.public>, and get nansis.asm.  The executeables are
there too, if you want them.  Beware, however, that r20 is a tenex/twenex
machine, and may mangle binaries when transferring them to non-tenex/twenex
systems.   Get around this by setting tenex mode on in FTP, if you need
to.

Hopefully helpfully,

Brent

--

Brent Chapman
chapman@pavepaws.berkeley.edu

TANSTAAFL!  (There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch!)

gpw@ihdev.UUCP (G. P. Wilkin) (07/22/86)

> In article <15200027@hpcvlo.UUCP> bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) writes:
> >You may be wasting your time if you're NOT using NANSI.SYS, but you may

> ucbvax!pavepaws!chapman
> This problem has already been fixed.  The fixed sources, as well as

> from Pete Galvin's archive.  Do an anonymous FTP to r20.utexas.edu,
> cd to <cc.galvin.public>, and get nansis.asm.  The executeables are
> Hopefully helpfully,
> Brent

Could someone post the sources to nansi.sys to mod.sources or net.sources
when they are updated? I can't FTP from here, or can I ? Actually, I
don't know how to FTP from a USENET machine, can anyone help?

GPW

--

   ____   _______   _____   _______     -------      George Wilkin
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------    AT&T Network Systems
 |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------      Naperville, IL

darmon@polaris.UUCP (Pierre Darmon) (07/24/86)

In article <729@ihdev.UUCP> gpw@ihdev.UUCP (G. P. Wilkin) writes:
>> In article <15200027@hpcvlo.UUCP> bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) writes:
>> >You may be wasting your time if you're NOT using NANSI.SYS, but you may
>
>> ucbvax!pavepaws!chapman
>> This problem has already been fixed.  The fixed sources, as well as
>
>> from Pete Galvin's archive.  Do an anonymous FTP to r20.utexas.edu,
>> cd to <cc.galvin.public>, and get nansis.asm.  The executeables are
>> Hopefully helpfully,
>> Brent
>
>Could someone post the sources to nansi.sys to mod.sources or net.sources
>when they are updated? I can't FTP from here, or can I ? Actually, I
>don't know how to FTP from a USENET machine, can anyone help?

Yes could someone post it. But also could someone explain what FTP consists
of, and how you do that. Please be specific, I have seen this several time
but really don't know what people are talking about. Thanks

--

Pierre Darmon, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center.
.....seismo!philabs!polaris!darmon.

kimery@wdl1.UUCP (07/25/86)

/ wdl1:net.micro.pc / darmon@polaris.UUCP (Pierre Darmon) /  7:16 pm  Jul 23, 1986 /