[net.micro.pc] IBM Sys. III on XT?

jantypas@wolf.UUCP (John Antypas) (07/23/86)

A quick question for the IBM wizards out there?  Does IBM Sys. III (not
PC/IX) run on an XT?

John Antypas

uucp: ...!sdcsvax!jantypas
arpa: jantypas@sdcsvax.ucsd.eud

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (07/25/86)

In article <156@wolf.UUCP> jantypas@wolf.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
>A quick question for the IBM wizards out there?  Does IBM Sys. III (not
>PC/IX) run on an XT?

What's "IBM Sys. III"?  If you mean Xenix, no, it's AT only.  On the other
hand, PC/IX is in fact a full implementation of System III, including all
of the programs you'd get with PDP-11 System III.  Try it.

(It must be admitted that I had something to do with PC/IX, but that was
a previous job.  I still like it.)
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU

jnj@mb2c.UUCP (Jim Jackson) (07/28/86)

In article <1170@rsch.wisc.edu>, johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) writes:
> In article <156@wolf.UUCP> jantypas@wolf.UUCP (John Antypas) writes:
> >A quick question for the IBM wizards out there?  Does IBM Sys. III (not
> >PC/IX) run on an XT?
>
> What's "IBM Sys. III"?  If you mean Xenix, no, it's AT only.  On the other
> hand, PC/IX is in fact a full implementation of System III, including all
> of the programs you'd get with PDP-11 System III.  Try it.

According to the price list I have from them, SCO XENIX V runs on the IBC PC AT,
AT&T 6300 Plus, IBM PC, and PC XT.  SCO XENIX III runs on the Apple Lisa 2, and
Macintosh/XL.  The cost for all three packages is $1295 for the IBM/AT&T and
$895 for Apple/Macintosh.  For further information:

	The Santa Cruz Operation
	500 Chestnut Street
	P.O. Box 1900
	Santa Cruz, CA 95061