[net.micro.pc] Does cpm run on pc's?

doug@svax.UUCP (07/29/86)

My sister has some surveying software that runs on a Northstar under CP/M,
and she wants to know if it can run on an IBM PC.  Any help much appreciated.

						Doug Campbell
						doug@svax.cs.cornell.edu

halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/30/86)

In article <430@svax.cs.cornell.edu> doug@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Douglas Campbell) writes:
>My sister has some surveying software that runs on a Northstar under CP/M,
>and she wants to know if it can run on an IBM PC.  Any help much appreciated.
>
>						Doug Campbell
>						doug@svax.cs.cornell.edu

If the machine is a real PC, i.e. 8088-based, then the answer is to swap
out the 8088 CPU for the NEC V-20.  This is a pin-compatible processor
which has hardware emulation of the 8080 CPU.  There are then packages
available which will allow you to switch the V-20 into emulation mode
and run under CP/M.  Your best bet is to check recent issues of BYTE,
etc. for packages such as 'RUN-CP/M'.  The V-20 chip goes for $15-20.
from numerous mail-order houses.

Your two problems may be: since the Northstar uses the Z-80, the
software in question may be written to take advantage of the Z-80's
extended instructions.  If so, the V-20 won't help you.  The other
problem is that the Northstar uses hard-sectored diskettes, as I
recall.  This means you will probably have to transfer object code,
data file, etc. via serial transfer with something like Xmodem or
Kermit, since the hard-sectored diskettes will be unreadable on a
PC, even with one of the format translator programs such as Uniform.

					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: topaz!caip!unirot!halloran		DDD: (201)251-7514
CSNet/ARPA: unirot!halloran@caip.rutgers.edu	ATTmail: RHALLORAN
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: I speak for myself.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark." -
	Dr. Lizardo/John Whorfin, "Buckaroo Banzai"

halloran@unirot.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/31/86)

In article <430@svax.cs.cornell.edu> doug@svax.cs.cornell.edu (Douglas Campbell) writes:
>My sister has some surveying software that runs on a Northstar under CP/M,
>and she wants to know if it can run on an IBM PC.  Any help much appreciated.
>
>						Doug Campbell
>						doug@svax.cs.cornell.edu

Followup to earlier posting (the latest Micro Cornucopia arrived the day
after):

	The following firms are advertising CP/M emulators for use on
PC's running with the NEC V-20 chip substituted for the i8088.  I have
no vested interest in any of them.  An earlier issue of Micro C reviewed
some of these, and thought well of UniDOS with UniForm.

CP/Mulator: Source Information, POB 2974, Warminster PA 18974 215-441-8178
  $69. software only, $99. with V-20

UniDOS: Emerald Microware, POB 6118, Aloha OR 97007 503-642-1860
  (they also offer a program UniForm for conversion between various
    soft-sector 5.25" formats of CP/M and MS-DOS).  $65. each, $140 for
    both plus V-20 chip

RP/M2: Micro Methods Inc, 118 SW First St Box G, Warrenton OR 97146
  503-861-1765  $129. including V-20 chip.  Ad makes mention of utilities
  for diskette format conversion and modem transfer from CP/M systems.

RUN/CPM: SBC Mart, POB 1296, Ridgecrest CA 93555 619-375-5744  $79. software
  V-20 is $24. separately.  Ad says that package includes disk conversion
  utility.

For those offering software only, Microprocessors Unltd in OK 918-267-4961
was advertising the 8 MHz V-20 for $14.
					Bob Halloran, Consultant
UUCP: topaz!caip!unirot!halloran		DDD: (201)251-7514
CSNet/ARPA: unirot!halloran@caip.rutgers.edu	ATTmail: RHALLORAN
USPS: 19 Culver Ct, Old Bridge NJ 08857
Disclaimer: I speak for myself.
Quote: "History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the Dark." -
	Dr. Lizardo/John Whorfin, "Buckaroo Banzai"

nobi@mtuxo.UUCP (m.juliar) (08/01/86)

Re: CP/M on a PC?

Yes, if:

1) ...you have the source code.  Move the source from your CP/M
machine to your PC, recompile (or, reinterpret) and run;

2) ...you don't have the source and the object code is meant to
run on an 8085 chip--not a Z80--then you can replace your 8088 in
your PC with a NEC V-20 CPU, buy a piece of software (I don't have
any names right now) to access the 8085 mode of the V-20, and run
your program;

3) ...you don't have the source and the object code is meant to
run on an 8085 chip or a Z80, or your 8088 is soldered on to
your motherboard.  Buy a piece of software to emulate CP/M on a
PC running DOS.  I found an ad on p.364 of the August BYTE:
Source Information, P.O. Box 2974, Warminster, PA 18974, (215)
441-8178.  Check 'em out.

Good luck,

Michael Juliar