[net.micro.pc] Using an IBM-PC in India

berger@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU (Theresa Berger) (08/14/86)

	A student here is planning to purchase an IBM-PC and use it in both the
U.S.A. and in India.  He wants to know what sort of voltage a/o frequency
converter he needs so that he can use it in India, and where such a beast can
be obtained.  He knows that both power-line voltage and frequency have
different values in India, but he does not know the specifics.  My usual sources
at IBM don't have time to pursue such an esoteric question.  Any information
would be appreciated, but, just to make things interesting, our local systems
will be down for maintenance for the next few days.  Please send information to
LATZKO@CAIP.RUTGERS.EDU.  Thanks.
	T.B.

jsm@vax1.ccs.cornell.edu (Jonathan Meltzer) (08/15/86)

In article <532@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU> berger@andromeda.RUTGERS.EDU (Theresa Berger) writes:

>	A student here is planning to purchase an IBM-PC and use it in both the
>U.S.A. and in India.  He wants to know what sort of voltage a/o frequency
>converter he needs so that he can use it in India, and where such a beast can
>be obtained.  He knows that both power-line voltage and frequency have
>different values in India, but he does not know the specifics.  My usual sources
>at IBM don't have time to pursue such an esoteric question.  Any information
>would be appreciated, but, just to make things interesting, our local systems
>will be down for maintenance for the next few days.  Please send information to
>LATZKO@CAIP.RUTGERS.EDU.  Thanks.
>	T.B.

Theresa,
  My project leader is currently in India with an IBM PC Convertible. He was
  told by Indian contacts that the standard convertible power pack would run
  on Indian current. I'll know in three weeks if that was true and if other
  IBM accessories are available in India.
  Respond to this via net.risley.

Jon Meltzer
Dept. of Modern Languages and Linguistics, Cornell University
"Disclaimer" is a trademark of Bell Laboratories.