[net.micro.pc] unix to pc com via modem

dan@soma.UUCP (Dan Johnston) (08/11/86)

I am a new reader to this newsgroup so I apologize ahead of time if this
has been discussed before.

At my work I have a unix machine (masscomp) with two modems and two
dedicated telephone lines that are used frequently.  We also have
kermit on the unix box.  The masscomp runs both system V.2 and BSD 4.2.

At home I have an IBM pc/xt that I use for fun things like home
money management, investment stuff, and games for my three kids.  I also
use the pc heavily for dialing up my work for reading/sending mail, reading
netnews, and wordprocessing remotely.  I also have kermit on the pc so
I can transfer a file from the unix machine at work to the pc at home.  All
works beautifully and is extremely useful--all thanks to the systems
manager at work (stan barber).  On a number of occasions, however, I wished
I could do the reverse--that is, while at work (on the unix box), I would
like to be able to dial up the pc at home and look at a file or run a program.
The question is what software is available (if any) to allow me to do this?
The modem is autoanswer and is connected to a dedicated phone line so that's
no problem, but I would need some software on the pc to allow it to be run
remotely.  I would then need something on the unix box to set up properly the
terminal characteristics.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.  thanks!

dan johnston                         arpanet: dan%soma.UUCP@rice.EDU
dept of neurology                    UUCP:  soma!dan
baylor college of medicine
houston, tx 77030

adamsd@crash.UUCP (Adams Douglas) (08/12/86)

The freeware comm program ProComm has a simple Host mode which enables
you to post a password and dialup name on your machine and pass through
into a PC-DOS shell when you dial up remotely.

I don't know exactly what its limitations are, but I've tried it on my
machine here and it works just fine.

Adams Douglas
"The above is my opinion and is not officialy policy of any other
 person or organization."

toma@killer.UUCP (Tom Armistead) (08/13/86)

In article <1048@soma.UUCP>, dan@soma.UUCP (Dan Johnston) writes:
> At home I have an IBM pc/xt that I use for fun things like home
> money management, investment stuff, and games for my three kids.  I also
> use the pc heavily for dialing up my work for reading/sending mail, reading
> netnews, and wordprocessing remotely.  I also have kermit on the pc so
> I can transfer a file from the unix machine at work to the pc at home.  All
> works beautifully and is extremely useful--all thanks to the systems
> manager at work (stan barber).  On a number of occasions, however, I wished
> I could do the reverse--that is, while at work (on the unix box), I would
> like to be able to dial up the pc at home and look at a file or run a program.
> The question is what software is available (if any) to allow me to do this?
> The modem is autoanswer and is connected to a dedicated phone line so that's
> no problem, but I would need some software on the pc to allow it to be run
> remotely.  I would then need something on the unix box to set up properly the
> terminal characteristics.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.  thanks!
>
> dan johnston                         arpanet: dan%soma.UUCP@rice.EDU
> dept of neurology                    UUCP:  soma!dan
> baylor college of medicine
> houston, tx 77030

Dan, Columbia University puts out a Kermit file transfer package for just
this sort of thing, and they have the sources available for most any type
of OS on any type of computer, including BSD 4.x and and IBM PC running
MS-DOS, Unix, Xenix or whatever. These packages have a server (slave) function
and a host (master) function. All of this is available on at least a couple
different types of media, MAG-TAPE, FLOPPY, ect... for $100.00, this is
basically the media and transfer fees only...
You can get a hold of this stuff by calling or writing to:
	Kermit Distribution
	Columbia University Center of Computing Activities
	612 West 115th Street
	New York, New York  10025
	(212) 280-1754
If all else fails, send me mail and I will try to get the stuff to you...

Tom

All standard disclaimers apply - I'm just another friendly hacker...
---
UUCP:
                          ihnp4\
                                \killer!toma
                                /
  drillsys!infoswx!convex!dj3b1/

Tom Armistead

rlneal@ihlpl.UUCP (Neal) (08/14/86)

> In article <1048@soma.UUCP>, dan@soma.UUCP (Dan Johnston) writes:
> > At home I have an IBM pc/xt that I use for fun things like home
> > money management, investment stuff, and games for my three kids.  I also
> > use the pc heavily for dialing up my work for reading/sending mail, reading
> > netnews, and wordprocessing remotely.  I also have kermit on the pc so
> > I can transfer a file from the unix machine at work to the pc at home.  All
> > works beautifully and is extremely useful--all thanks to the systems
> > manager at work (stan barber).  On a number of occasions, however, I wished
> > I could do the reverse--that is, while at work (on the unix box), I would
> > like to be able to dial up the pc at home and look at a file or run a program.
> > The question is what software is available (if any) to allow me to do this?
> > The modem is autoanswer and is connected to a dedicated phone line so that's
> > no problem, but I would need some software on the pc to allow it to be run
> > remotely.  I would then need something on the unix box to set up properly the
> > terminal characteristics.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.  thanks!
> >
> > dan johnston                         arpanet: dan%soma.UUCP@rice.EDU
> > dept of neurology                    UUCP:  soma!dan
> > baylor college of medicine
> > houston, tx 77030

-------------------------
Another approach would be to get software that would allow the PC to
operate as a host computer.  HOST-III is available from a public domain
users group called NPCUG.  Address: NPCUG, Suite C-332, 323 So. Franklin
Bldg., Chicago, Ill.  Other public domain groups may have it also.
This will not allow you to actually operate the PC from a terminal, but
it will let you dial into it and transfer files with another computer.
I ordered this and recieved it the other day.  I started it running
and then dialed into it and nothing happened.  So, it does not work
for me, yet.  The difficulty may be that it requires a Hayes modem
and mine is a Rixon running in the Hayes mode.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.
                                         --- Bob Neal
                                             AT&T IS
                                             Naperville, Il
                                             ihnp4!ihlpl!rlneal

ignatz@aicchi.UUCP (Ihnat) (08/15/86)

Concerning dialing up an unattended PC and cross-loading files, there
are at least two PD and/or Freeware terminal and file transfer packages
which include a mini-BBS mode that you could set up to do this.

PIBTERM is written in Pascal, is PD, and is available in source if necessary.
PROCOMM is Freeware, and is only available as executable, to the best of
my knowledge.  I know that PIBTERM is available on several BBS systems;
I got PROCOMM from the PC user's group disk library.
--
	Dave Ihnat
	Analysts International Corporation

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (08/15/86)

If you have kermit 2.28 or later, I believe you can use it
successfully in ctty mode with the PC.  The only drawback
is if you run a program on the PC that isn't well-behaved
(ie: writes directly to screen memory), or that hangs and
requires a system reset, which you can't do remotely.

tad@killer.UUCP (Tad Marko) (08/16/86)

In article <122@crash.UUCP>, adamsd@crash.UUCP (Adams Douglas) writes:
> The freeware comm program ProComm has a simple Host mode which enables
> you to post a password and dialup name on your machine and pass through
> into a PC-DOS shell when you dial up remotely.
>
> I don't know exactly what its limitations are, but I've tried it on my
> machine here and it works just fine.
>
> Adams Douglas

Well, I use Procomm, though I have never used the host mode.  I'm sure
it is very similar to using the DOS ctty command to accomplish the same
thing.  The limitations are that it will only work with DOS, and programs
which do all their I/O through BIOS, in other words, *very* few commercial
programs will be able to be run over the modem.  However, this command
is still *very* useful for retrieving data from your computer via remote
(especially if the rest of you family is computer-illiterate and therefore
uncapable of seting up the computer for an upload with you giving
instructions over the phone :-)

					Tad
--
Tad Marko
..!ihnp4!killer!tad		||	..!ihnp4!alamo!infoswx!ntvax!tad