[net.micro.pc] Superkey/newer PC-AT problem

adamsd@crash.UUCP (Adams Douglas) (08/07/86)

After our section recently purchased 11 PC/AT's we discovered
that Borland's Superkey did not work properly on them. The menus
would come up all right, but some of the keys (including the
RETURN key!) were permanently inoperative until Superkey was
again killed. After determining it was not our copies (they run
fine on existing AT's here) we called Borland. Guess what...

Borland's Superkey is incompatible with the new ROM set on recent
AT's. Specifically, the internal keyboard codes--which apparently
only Superkey reads directly--have been changed around for some
random reason. Borland is apparently working on a fix, but in the
meantime, they told us that Superkey WILL work on newer AT's if
they are ordered with the Enhanced Keyboard, which apparently
costs the same as the standard keyboard. You do, however, have to
explicitly request it to recieve it with your machine.

If you just got your new AT and wonder what's wrong with
Superkey, see if your dealer will swap keyboards. If you're about
to purchase an AT, you should request the enhanced keyboard--
especially since there may be other incompatibilities no one's
discovered yet.

P.S. I haven't tried it, but I suspect ProKey would also fail on
newer AT's for the same reason.

garyf@mc0.UUCP (gary friedman) (08/21/86)

In article <116@crash.UUCP> adamsd@crash.UUCP (Adams Douglas) writes:
>Borland's Superkey is incompatible with the new ROM set on recent
>AT's. Specifically, the internal keyboard codes--which apparently
>only Superkey reads directly--have been changed around for some
>random reason.
.
.
.
>If you just got your new AT and wonder what's wrong with
>Superkey, see if your dealer will swap keyboards. If you're about
>to purchase an AT, you should request the enhanced keyboard--
>especially since there may be other incompatibilities no one's
>discovered yet.

There's a better solution:  Don't buy IBM.

--

Gary Friedman
Jet Propulsion Laboratory