[net.micro.pc] PD Hard-disk backup software

toms@oakhill.UUCP (Thomas Spohrer) (08/27/86)

     I have had enough of the DOS BACKUP utility! ! !

It is time for me to find a better alternative to disk backup.

BACKUP bombed while backing up my disk because the 25th floppy in a series
of 35 had a bad FAT.  This is a fatal error that causes BACKUP to abort
making it difficult to finish the backup without restarting it
or continuing it directory by directory  (I have many).

Question:  Is there any good public domain backup utilites?

I have heard good things about FASTBACK but wonder what they have that
I could not find in the Public domain or write my self.
Does any one know how they get so much on a disk?

Motorola Semiconductors                     Tom Spohrer
Austin, Texas                {seismo,gatech,ihnp4}!ut-sally!oakhill!toms

akk2@ur-tut.UUCP (A Kacker) (08/28/86)

In article <755@oakhill.UUCP> toms@oakhill.UUCP (Thomas Spohrer) writes:

>     I have had enough of the DOS BACKUP utility! ! !
>
>It is time for me to find a better alternative to disk backup.
>Question:  Is there any good public domain backup utilites?

There is a program called FBR (Fast Backup/Restore), shareware I think,
written by Vernon Buerg, which I have heard is a good replacement for the
DOS BACKUP program. It should be available for downloading at most BBS's.
Vernon Buerg also runs a BBS, which should be a good source for it. The
phone number is 415-994-2944.

>I have heard good things about FASTBACK but wonder what they have that
>I could not find in the Public domain or write my self.
>Does any one know how they get so much on a disk?

I have used FASTBACK a few times and have always had problems with it.
On an XT, the first time I tried it without the /Verify option. It seemed
to go through the backup smoothly, but when I tried to restore it, most
of the floppy disks had nothing on them. With the /V option, things went
a lot slower and most files were restorable. ( There were still a couple
of files that just wouldn't restore). On an AT, the program just wouldn't
work, telling me that the drive speeds were not right or some such thing.
No other program has ever complained about the drive speeds. I have since
switched to Tape Backup units.

Atul Kacker
...seismo!rochester!ur-tut!akk2