[net.micro.pc] Mks Tools - kill, ps?

simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast) (08/29/86)

The last MKS Tools listing included ps and kill. What good is
ps and kill on an MS-DOS system? I guess if you were running
a unix like shell, it could tell you, but other than that...
ps sounds boring... and kill might as well be CTRL-ALT-DEL...
Unless I am missing something... If I am, please inform me,
it sounds like something worth buying, the DDJ ad said it
even has vi now.

Greg
--
      Gregory R. Simpson

UUCP: {ihnp4, seismo, decwrl, philabs, ucbvax}!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!simpsong
CSNET: ncoast!simpsong@case.CSNET
ARPA:  ncoast!simpsong%case.CSNET@Csnet-Relay.ARPA

randy@chinet.UUCP (randy) (09/05/86)

In article <1418@ncoast.UUCP> simpsong@ncoast.UUCP (Gregory R. Simpson @ The North Coast) writes:
>The last MKS Tools listing included ps and kill. What good is
>ps and kill on an MS-DOS system?

	I just received the latest release (2.04, I believe).  Kill does
not seem to have much use, as it doesn't seem to do much, but ps will
show you all your resident programs.  I found a resident program
taking up memory space that I forgot I had in my autoexec.bat file!
	The vi is real slick..  Full vi, as far as I can tell, with ctags,
and full ex mode.  I think it edits files bigger than memory, but can't
find the info in the beta manual.  I don't have any 600k files sitting
around, but as soon as I find one, I will try it out.

	The MKS toolkit makes working in MSDOS almost easy and on a
fast AT klone, a pleasure.

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

jeffd@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Jeff Denenberg) (09/08/86)

> *** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
> The last MKS Tools listing included ps and kill. What good is
> ps and kill on an MS-DOS system? I guess if you were running
> a unix like shell, it could tell you, but other than that...
> ps sounds boring... and kill might as well be CTRL-ALT-DEL...
> Unless I am missing something... If I am, please inform me,
> it sounds like something worth buying, the DDJ ad said it
> even has vi now.
>
> Greg
> --
>       Gregory R. Simpson
>
> UUCP: {ihnp4, seismo, decwrl, philabs, ucbvax}!decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!simpsong
> CSNET: ncoast!simpsong@case.CSNET
> ARPA:  ncoast!simpsong%case.CSNET@Csnet-Relay.ARPA

I am a happy user of the MKS package (Version 1.4). It is useful both with and
without pc-shell (a good shareware package). PS gives the memory allocation map
currently in use and if you are running DOS 3.1 or later it correctly
identifies all current RAM resident programs by name, size and location. I have
not used KILL and cannot comment on its effectiveness but it is supposed to
allow one to free up memory allocated for a RAM resident package.

Jeff Denenberg
..!decvax!ittvax!jeffd

p40001@mcomp.UUCP (09/09/86)

> The last MKS Tools listing included ps and kill. What good is
> ps and kill on an MS-DOS system? ...

If you have any questions about the package, here is MKS' uucp mail address:

	{allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!toolkit

All usual disclaimers apply (such as "I am just a customer ....").
Wolf N. Paul, 290 Dogwood, Plano, Tx. 75075
UUCP:   { convex, infoswx, texsun!rrm }!mcomp!p40001
Phone: (214) 578-8023  W.U.ESL: 6283-2882

alex@mks.UUCP (Alex White) (09/12/86)

>> The last MKS Tools listing included ps and kill. What good is
>> ps and kill on an MS-DOS system? ...
>If you have any questions about the package, here is MKS' uucp mail address:

I can't find the message that this is replying to, however I can answer the
question.  Ps will show you all dos resident processes; e.g. if you have
fp or the keyboard buffer extenders or any of those things that sit around
forever in memory.  You can also invoke it say from within a programme to find
out how much memory that prog is using; it'll show you all the memory blocks
and free memory blocks.
Kill can then be used to kill a resident process -- but only if you know that
it hasn't left hooks in the system.  Kill can also be used to kill a stopped
job; with the new release (2.1) you can stop (^Z, :stop) vi and if you decide
not to use fg to bring it back you could kill it [mind you you'd be left with
the tmp files sitting around...]