[net.micro.pc] Microsoft C

schoff@DDN1 (04/18/83)

I understand that MicroSoft announced an IBM-DOS C compiler.  Anyone
have an information about this?

Questions:

     - Is this the old Lattice C?
     - Does it do 20 bit addressing in the text space?
     - Does it do 20 bit addressing in the data space?
     - Does it support floating point?
     - Does it have a debugging mode?
     - Is it a version 7 standard C compiler?

Thanks,

schoff at bbnu

cbk@se-sd.UUCP (cbk) (12/18/85)

" ==!== "

   I am considering switching from Lattice C to the "new" Microsoft C compiler.
Does anybody have any experience doing this?  What's the general consensus on
Microsoft C?  Is this a worthwhile thing to do, or just a waste of time+$?
Send replies directly to me, if sufficient interest, I'll post a summary.
Thanks in advance!
==========
Carl Kuck      UseNet : {wherever}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!se-sd!cbk
               PacBell: (619) 450-6271 (w)
                              944-1705 (h)

Quote #1: Only those who attempt the absurd can achieve the impossible.
Quote #2: 55 mph isn't a good idea, it's just the law...

news@seismo.CSS.GOV (UseNet News) (07/09/86)

if anyone finds this at a discount at a reputable source, i would
appreciate hearing for you. thanx.

stev

[reprinted from InformationWEEK, pg 10, without permission.]

Microsoft Releases Enhanced Compiler

  Last week, Microsoft Corp. released a new version of its C compiler.
Version 4.0 features improved optimization and a debugger that, to the
user, looks like the company's Windows program. With this version,
Microsoft increases the compilers execution speed by eliminating
common subexpressions. The compiler's code emitter has also been
improved. Codeview, the programm's source-level debugger, allows users
to watch as source or object code is debugged by opening windows as
needed. A spokesman for the company points out that with Codeview,
"the programmer can also see the contents of registers and flags in
the CPU and watch the values of expressions and variables as they
change." The program has a suggested retail price of $450. Registered
owners of the previous version of the C compiler can recieve the new
version for $150.

In article <3046@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV>, news@seismo.CSS.GOV (UseNet News) writes:

> if anyone finds this at a discount at a reputable source, i would
> appreciate hearing for you. thanx.
>
> stev

this is me, i dont know why my name does not appear in the headers,
nor my .signature file at the end.(*sigh*) we,, here it is, for anyone
who replies:

stev@seismo.CSS.GOV

thanx

stev

coltoff@burdvax.UUCP (Joel Coltoff) (09/17/86)

HELP. I am writing code gor a stand alone system using the Microsoft
assmbler, C compiler and linker. I need to get at the linker variables
"end" and "edata". If I compile a program to run on the PC there is no
problem. When I compile it for stand alone the linker complains about
unresolved externals (_end and _edata). Customer Support and they
couldn't help. They weren't even willing to research the problem and
get back to me on it. Can anyone offer any insight into this problem.

Thanks in advance,
	- Joel
	{sdcrdcf,psuvax1}!burdvax!coltoff