[net.micro.pc] PC ROM copying

brown@endor.harvard.edu (Bilbo Baggins) (08/07/86)

I have an old IBM PC with 64K of RAM on the motherboard, and I have just
purchased a hard disk.  By patching a DOS floppy disk, the copy of DOS 2.0
that I have is able to recognize that I have a hard disk.  However, this
does not allow me to boot off the hard disk.  What must I do to be able to
boot off the hard disk?  I have talked to one computer store that will sell
me a new set of ROMS for my 64K motherboard so that my computer will behave
as an IBM XT does.  Unfortunately, they want $50 for the ROMS.  I have access
to a 256K motherboard PC and to an XT and to a PROM burner.  Can anyone give
me explicit instructions as to how I can go about making my own set of ROMS?

Lastly, perhaps somewhere there is a program that I can use to boot off a
partition on my drive.  I could then boot up my PC with the old ROMS from
the floppy and then type "boot 1" to COMMAND.COM to reboot off the first
partition of my hard disk drive.  If I a program like this, I would not need
to get my ROMS updated.

				Bob Brown
				brown@harvard.uucp
				brown@harvard.arpa
				brown@encore.uucp
			bob brown

			UUCP:  allegra!harvard!brown
			ARPA:  brown@harvard

smvorkoetter@watmum.UUCP (Stefan M. Vorkoetter) (08/08/86)

If you prepare your hard disk as if you were going to boot from it, and then
create a boot floppy with these two files on it (in addition to command.com
and the system files), you should be able to boot from your hard disk after
booting from the floppy.

Files:				Contents:
	AUTOEXEC.BAT			command c:command.com /p
	CONFIG.SYS			whatever you want to put in it

Then, you boot with this floppy.  It makes the copy of command.com on c:
the default one.  The /p means to overwrite the existing copy, so you don't
have two of them in memory.  You will lose about 3K of RAM however.

I use a similar technique to boot from a RAM disk, except that my autoexec
first copies the parts of DOS that I want (including command.com) to the
RAM disk, and then "boots" from the RAM disk.

rde@ukc.ac.uk (R.D.Eager) (08/12/86)

[Food for line eater]

I have a program that allows you to boot off the hard disk on early (64K)
PCs; in fact I wrote it. It makes you a special boot floppy (still usable
for files) which sets up the hard disk then boots from it. Transparent if
you accept the fact that a floppy has to be inserted before boot.

Now...I could post it to the net if there is interest. However there may be
a nearer reply. Alternatively I could put it on a floppy if you send me one.

Thoughts?
--
           Bob Eager

           rde@ukc.UUCP
           rde@ukc
           ...!mcvax!ukc!rde

           Phone: +44 227 66822 ext 7589

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (08/12/86)

First of all - copying the ROMs from a PC-2 machine to put in the
PC-1 is stealing. But enough about *my* hang-ups...

The PC-1 ROM code doesn't know the foggiest thing about a hard-disk
drive. In my PC-1 I've installed a (very early Maynard Systems)
hard-disk and controller system. To boot up - from the floppy - and
then get access to the hard-disk requires inclusion of a hard-disk
driver in the floppy's config.sys file; the driver also must reside
on the floppy. My floppy's autoexec.bat file is minimal: it calls
up a file (setup.bat) on the hard-disk to finish everything up
(start up sidekick, search, aliases, etc).

Recently I *purchased* the upgrade ROMs from IBM. And guess what!
The thing *still* doesn't boot up from the hard disk. That's because
the controller card doesn't have the required ROM on it to auto-boot.
But I'm going to fix that, too, 'cause the bearings are going out on
the drive and I'm going to replace it (and the controller card, too)
with a 20 Mbyte as soon as it arrives. Here's hoping that the new
controller card will autoboot...

keith

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/15/86)

In article <1677@tekgvs.UUCP> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>First of all - copying the ROMs from a PC-2 machine to put in the
>PC-1 is stealing. But enough about *my* hang-ups...

Are you sure about that?  How can you steal an IBM ROM to place into an
IBM machine?!?!?!  It's their product in their machine?!?!?!

There isn't a jury in these states that are going to hang you on that one.
I doubt that IBM would try to hang you either.  It would make them look
pretty foolish.  I'm sure they hate having to make those dumb little $30
(there abouts) ROM kits.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \

stevel@dartvax.UUCP (Steve Ligett) (08/26/86)

In article <820@nicmad.UUCP> brown@nicmad.UUCP (Mr. Video) writes:
>In article <1677@tekgvs.UUCP> keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>First of all - copying the ROMs from a PC-2 machine to put in the
>>PC-1 is stealing. But enough about *my* hang-ups...
>
>Are you sure about that?  How can you steal an IBM ROM to place into an
>IBM machine?!?!?!  It's their product in their machine?!?!?!

Really?  Ask Apple if it's ok to copy their new Mac roms to put in
your old Mac...

What the hell, if you buy any version of a piece of software, you
can just make your own free copies of new versions that come out, right?

--
Steve Ligett  stevel@dartmouth  or  stevel@dartmouth.edu  or
(astrovax cornell decvax harvard ihnp4 linus true)!dartvax!stevel

Standards eliminate variability and the requirement to make a decision;
they need not be optimal.

tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) (08/31/86)

But what do you do when you go to an IBM product center and TRY to buy the
ROM upgrade, but are told that they won't sell it to you unless you buy
their expansion chasis?  And then they take your name just in case they ever
get any more in stock, and SIX MONTHS LATER they get one.

howarde@mmintl.UUCP (09/06/86)

In article <1697@well.UUCP> tenney@well.UUCP (Glenn S. Tenney) writes:
>But what do you do when you go to an IBM product center and TRY to buy the
>ROM upgrade, but are told that they won't sell it to you unless you buy
>their expansion chasis?  And then they take your name just in case they ever
>get any more in stock, and SIX MONTHS LATER they get one.

I've seen that happen before, and the best way around this brain damage is
to swallow hard and buy it from an authorized dealer/repair center.  It
costs serious amounts of money, but that's one of the many advantages you
get by buying an IBM product - the ability to spend money on it. (Not true
of all products - I have a 31 yr. old IBM Executive that still types
beautifully and costs almost nothing to maintain.)

BTW - Copying the ROMs is illegal, and I have heard of IBM dealers refusing
to repair units that have copied ROMs in them.  If you dupe the ROMs and
have a problem that requires an authorized dealer, you may be out of luck.

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (09/09/86)

> BTW - Copying the ROMs is illegal, and I have heard of IBM dealers refusing
> to repair units that have copied ROMs in them.  If you dupe the ROMs and
> have a problem that requires an authorized dealer, you may be out of luck.

The people that have that happen to them are lucky.
I heard a story about a repair agency for a particular brand of
microphone made overseas.  When someone came in with a broken
microphone for repair, they would check the serial number against
the list of serial numbers of microphones they knew to be legally
imported.  If it didn't match the list, the customer would never
get it back.  Moreover, they would deny that the customer ever
brought it in for repair in the first place, or that any such microphone
ever existed.

I was outraged at the time, but now I'm not so sure.

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (09/12/86)

I don't believe it's illegal to copy roms for PERSONAL, non-
commercial use.  And you can always put the originals back in
if you need service.

As far as gray market merchandise, different manufacturers
have different policies.  Nakamichi is happy to repair any
of their products under warranty.  Seiko won't honor the
warranty on something that wasn't imported through proper
channels.  Sony wants to maintain a reputation as an inter-
national company, and reluctantly honors warranties on
gray market merchandise.  Note that there's nothing illegal
about the gray market - it just circumvents artificially high
prices.  K-Mart says that gray market Seiko watches bought off
the shelf in Japan cost them less (even though they have to
eat the exchange on defective merchandise since Seiko won't)
than purchasing from a Seiko jobber in the US in huge
quantities.

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (09/14/86)

In article <6037@alice.uUCp>, ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:
> > BTW - Copying the ROMs is illegal, and I have heard of IBM dealers refusing
> > to repair units that have copied ROMs in them.  If you dupe the ROMs and
> > have a problem that requires an authorized dealer, you may be out of luck.
>
> The people that have that happen to them are lucky.
> I heard a story about a repair agency for a particular brand of
> microphone made overseas.  When someone came in with a broken
> microphone for repair, they would check the serial number against
> the list of serial numbers of microphones they knew to be legally
> imported.  If it didn't match the list, the customer would never
> get it back.  Moreover, they would deny that the customer ever
> brought it in for repair in the first place, or that any such microphone
> ever existed.
>
> I was outraged at the time, but now I'm not so sure.

What if the customer shows a receipt which indicates the item had
be accepted by them for repair?  I'd like to accuse the repair agency
of theft because the customer really has no idea whether or not the
microphone is a legal one when it is purchased.  I think a little
cooperation to track down the seller of a counterfeit item would
on the long run be more profitable.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp(for a while) ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

--- Please resend any mail between 10 Aug and 16 Aug:
--- the mailer broke and we had billions and billions of
--- bits scattered on the floor.

mikey@bbimg.UUCP (09/15/86)

> I heard a story about a repair agency for a particular brand of
> microphone made overseas.  When someone came in with a broken
> microphone for repair, they would check the serial number against
> the list of serial numbers of microphones they knew to be legally
> imported.  If it didn't match the list, the customer would never
> get it back.  Moreover, they would deny that the customer ever
> brought it in for repair in the first place, or that any such microphone
> ever existed.

Give me a break!  This is commonly called THEFT!  Anyone stupid enough to fall
for this line of crap deserves what they get.  Doesn't anyone get a receipt for
stuff they give up?  If they deny it as missing, then they owe you another one.
Are people this stupid?  Or are people just mindless sheep?  Maybe stupidity
is the reason the software industry is in the shape it's in.  Maybe W.C. Fields
line should read, 'You can't cheat an honest man, unless he's that F*CKING
stupid!"
				Mike Yetsko
				trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

jljl@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (james e levin) (09/16/86)

My brother-in-law is about to take a trip to the orient, and was
thinking about buying an MS-DOS computer off the shelf in Taiwan or Korea and
bringing it back with him.  Does anyone know what technical or
legal issues need to be considered to pull this off?  He's talking
about a name brand machine, not a no-name clone.  Has anyone
on the net actually done this?  Is it worthwhile?

howarde@mmintl.UUCP (09/16/86)

In article <9200018@clio> berger@clio.UUCP writes:
>Nf-From: clio.Uiuc.ARPA!berger    Sep 11 18:05:00 1986
>I don't believe it's illegal to copy roms for PERSONAL, non-
>commercial use.  And you can always put the originals back in
>if you need service.

Part of buying the machine includes accepting the terms of the license
agreement.  Like all software currently sold, you have the right to make all
copies necessary for your continued use. (Not usually required w/ROMs).
Copying the ROMs for another machine is _exactly_ the same as making copies
of <your favorite application> for a friend.  If your machine tends to eat
ROMs, you may make copies of the ROM for your personal protection, but
that's it.  (If that's the case, I'd get a new machine :-))

You are correct about one thing - you can always put the original ROMs back
in before servicing.  I would recommend that as most dealers I know won't
jeopardize their relationship with IBM by servicing machines with pirated
code.

You can copy the ROMs for backup purposes, bot NOT for "PERSONAL,
non-commercial use" in another machine.  That is most definitely illegal.

keithe@tekgvs.UUCP (Keith Ericson) (09/16/86)

In article <9200018@clio> berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA writes:

>I don't believe it's illegal to copy roms for PERSONAL, non-
>commercial use.  And you can always put the originals back in
>if you need service.

You're right, IFF you're copying ROMs you already own for your own use.
If you "borrow" the ROMS from your friend's machine, copy them and place
the copied into YOUR mcahine you've violated the copyright law, plain
and simple. (Actually, I *think* you're in violation even if YOU own
BOTH machines and copy from one to use in the other.)

One of the best ways to test this is to ask (and answer) the question
"Am I getting something for nothing?" (disallowing, of course the
out-of-pocket expense for the parts - ROMs, copy machine, etc). If your
answer is "yes" then you have violated the section of the law in which
you are depriving the owner of the copyright from remuneration for the
work.

You are welcome to ignore this posting totally - I don't really care.

keith

nclee@sbcs.UUCP (Nai Chi Lee) (09/19/86)

> My brother-in-law is about to take a trip to the orient, and was
> thinking about buying an MS-DOS computer off the shelf in Taiwan or Korea and
> bringing it back with him.  Does anyone know what technical or
> legal issues need to be considered to pull this off?

It is usually not worth while.
You can get those PC clones here dirt-cleap (look at ads on Byte).
While you may save one to two hundred dollars on the system if you buy
it in Taiwan or Korea, you can forget about technical support and warrentee.
Those things are damn heavy and can get damaged easily during transit.
Also, you may get into trouble with the US custom if the machine don't
have FCC approval.

mjranum@gouldsd.UUCP (Marcus the Ranum) (09/21/86)

In article <185@sbcs.UUCP>, nclee@sbcs.UUCP (Nai Chi Lee) writes:
> > My brother-in-law is about to take a trip to the orient, and was
> > thinking about buying an MS-DOS computer off the shelf in Taiwan or Korea and
> > bringing it back with him.  Does anyone know what technical or
> > legal issues need to be considered to pull this off?

	Gotta be careful with what you get on the Taiwan clone scene.  I got
a "turbo board" that had lots of memory parity problems because it had the
worst RAM money could buy in it. My recommendation to your brother is that
he find some local hobby/computer center (look in the PC Shopper) and buy
from them. That way he knows who they are, and where they are, and can take
the board back until it's fixed. I now have a splendid little XT In-Compat
(it's not compatible 'cuz it's 3X faster and 1/3 as expensive) that never
gives me any problems. To get this, though, I had to swap 1/2 the chips on
the board. I would have been out a lot of money if I hadn't been able to
keep showing up at the store that sold it to me, demanding a replacement
chip for this, that, or the other. With computers these days. it seems that
one of the prime rules is being able to get your hands on the guy that
sold it to you...

Live Free.
MJR
--