[net.micro.pc] Long File Names under MS-DOS?

berger@datacube.UUCP (09/16/86)

Is there a way to tell MS-DOS to allow file names that are greater
than 8 characters long?

				Thanks in adavance,

			Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644

ihnp4!datacube!berger
{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

johnl@ima.UUCP (John R. Levine) (09/17/86)

In article <44600005@datacube> berger@datacube.UUCP writes:
>Is there a way to tell MS-DOS to allow file names that are greater
>than 8 characters long?

No.  (That was easy, wasn't it?)  The 8+3 name convention is buried deep
within the operating system, and the disk formats are designed around it.
Many system calls also use argument blocks exactly long enough for 8+3 names.

Some versions of Novell networks allow longer Unix-style names on files
stored on the net, but they do that by wrapping their own code around DOS
and reimplementing all of the file I/O calls on their own file system.
--
John R. Levine, Javelin Software Corp., Cambridge MA +1 617 494 1400
{ ihnp4 | decvax | cbosgd | harvard | yale }!ima!johnl, Levine@YALE.EDU

brown@nicmad.UUCP (09/18/86)

In article <44600005@datacube> berger@datacube.UUCP writes:

>Is there a way to tell MS-DOS to allow file names that are greater
>than 8 characters long?

You actually have 11 characters.  The 8 character file name and the 3
character extension.  But, unfortunately that is it.  MS and PC-DOS is
defined to that number by the logic with which the directory entries work.

Remember it isn't UNIX.
--
[Next quote over to you, Nyssa]

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \
Mr. Video	   seismo!uwvax!nicmad!brown
		  topaz-/     /
		 decvax------/

bill@hp-pcd.UUCP (bill) (09/18/86)

No, unless you count the three character extension, which brings you up
to eleven characters.

You can specify more than eight characters in the filename, but only the
first eight will be used.  The problem here is that MS-DOS directory
entries must rigidly follow a fixed format: 32 bytes per entry, of which
the first 8 bytes are the filename, the next 3 bytes are the extension,
and subsequent bytes specify time/date stamp, attributes, starting
cluster, file size, etc.  This 32-byte fixed format is well defined and
well documented.

I can only think of a couple of things in MS-DOS that are relatively
unrestricted:  the size of a single file, and the number of files that
can be contained in a subdirectory.

bill frolik
hp-pcd!bill

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (09/19/86)

> Is there a way to tell MS-DOS to allow file names that are greater
> than 8 characters long?
>
> 				Thanks in adavance,
>
> 			Bob Berger
>
> Datacube Inc. 4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960 	617-535-6644
>
> ihnp4!datacube!berger
> {seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

No.
--

Glenn Connery, Bell Northern Research, Mountain View, CA
{hplabs,amdahl,3comvax}!bnrmtv!connery

wtm@neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) (09/22/86)

****Hello line eater****

One possible alternative to using longer more descriptive file
names would be to using a memory resident program such as "smart
notes" to attach pop-up notes to directory listings.  Smart notes
looks at screen memory, something like the last 50 characters
entered.  If the preceeding characters pattern match the preceeding
characters for a known string in a target list, the note is popped
up on the screen.

The problem is that if the context in which the target string
appears is changed, the note might not pop up.  This could be a
potential problem as a directory is reordered.

What I'm describing is a commercial program that is readily
available.  I have to admit that I have not used it; I also don't
have anything to gain by recommending it.  I think the list price
is about $49 US.

Bill Mayhew
Division of Basic Medical Sciences
Northeastern Ohio Universities' College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH  44272  USA    (216) 325-2511
(wtm@neoucom.UUCP)