[net.micro.pc] Procomm and Unix's pr

uevans@ecsvax.UUCP (Elizabeth A. Evans) (09/17/86)

I have been having a problem printing out files from a Unix system
using Alt/L in Procomm 2.3 and pr on the Unix system.  The first 7
pages consistently print fine, and on the 8th page, letters get
dropped, page lengths get fouled up, etc.  I end up having to split the
file to print it.  I tried printing a long file using Alt/L in Procomm
2.3 under TSO on an IBM mainframe and the whole file (longer than 8
pages) printed just fine.

Does anybody know why this is happening, and better yet, if there's a
way to fix it besides splitting long files into shorter files?

Thanks in advance.

--
-- Elizabeth A. Evans
   Department of Psychiatry

   BITNET and UUCP:  uevans@ecsvax

jtc@pmncrrb.UUCP (jtc) (09/22/86)

In article <2037@ecsvax.UUCP> uevans@ecsvax.UUCP (Elizabeth A. Evans) writes:
>I have been having a problem printing out files from a Unix system
>using Alt/L in Procomm 2.3 and pr on the Unix system. .....
>on an IBM mainframe and the whole file (longer than 8 pages) printed just fine.
>Does anybody know why this is happening, and better yet, if there's a
>way to fix it besides splitting long files into shorter files?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>--
>-- Elizabeth A. Evans
>   Department of Psychiatry
>   UNC-CH School of Medicine
>   Chapel Hill, NC
>   BITNET and UUCP:  uevans@ecsvax

    I had the same problem and was able to fix it by setting XON/XOFF on from
    the terminal setup menu.  I am not sure why it worked on your IBM without
    this, except maybe you set it in one configuration file and not the other.

    BTW, input from UNIX/IBM is coming faster the pc can empty
    the input buffer.  XON/XOFF sends a signal to the sender that a
    "high water" mark has been reached and to temporarily stop sending
    characters.  Maybe the IBM sent the characters at a slower rate than
    UNIX so as to never overflow the input buffer.

    If it still doesn't work on UNIX then try the command
    stty ixon   (SYSV)
    or
    stty TANDEM (4.2BSD)
    this will tell UNIX to use flow control, combine this with turning on
    the XON/XOFF flag in procomm and you should be in business.

      sdcsvax!ncr-sd!jtc                          Jeffrey T. Carter
						  NCR E&M San Diego
						  ISS-OA
  Talk about your massive potential for growth, I am the little acorn
  that could become the great oak.....        - Bill Murray  in "Stripes"