[net.micro.pc] terminal emulator with error correction?

dcm@druny.UUCP (MengesDC) (09/23/86)

we're looking for a terminal emulator that does data checking
on the terminal session itself, not just the file transfer mode
(especially in the PC to host direction).  any ideas?

		David Menges, ihnp4!druny!dcm, (303) 538-1407

dan@prairie.UUCP (Daniel M. Frank) (09/24/86)

In article <130@druny.UUCP> dcm@druny.UUCP (MengesDC) writes:
>we're looking for a terminal emulator that does data checking
>on the terminal session itself, not just the file transfer mode
>(especially in the PC to host direction).  any ideas?

   To do something like that, you generally need some sort of
protocol software on both ends, like the x.pc packet protocol.
Both Microsoft Access and Omen Technologies' Professional Yam
provide support (somewhat preliminary) for x.pc, but finding
support software for the host end may be a problem.

   Pro-Yam has a feature that will send a ^S to the host if
it starts receiving framing errors, as kind of a damage control
mechanism, but that's probably not what you're looking for.

   One more warning:  x.pc gives peculiar jerky performance
for interactive sessions at baud rates below 2400-4800.  For
higher baud rates, it's pretty smooth.

--
--------

    Dan Frank