[net.micro.pc] Mail Order Experience

ttt@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Tony Tong) (09/09/86)

< Cheerios, Cheerios, Chomp, Chomp, Chomp >

To all the user in net land, I'd like to share a recent experience I had
while ordering some new stuff for my PC.
One concerns the Mail Order Firm, 'Conroy LaPointe'.
    They do a large volume of business with large, impressive ads in all the
	monthlies, so I decided to give them a try. I was told over the phone that
	the parts I ordered (A new power supply and such) was in stock, ad that
	they would be shipped the next day via 'Two Day Federal'.
	A week later, when the stuff had not arrived, I called the firm, and
	discovered that the order had not been shipped -- they had not even
	begun the check on my credit card yet! I was then assured that they
	would do it immediately, and ship it out ASAP. Lo and behold, a week later,
	and my stuff has still not arrived. Another phone call, and about fifteen
	minutes 'on hold', and I found that the order was still in the shop.
	So, on the basis of this one isolated instance, my advice is to stay away.
	Has anyone else have any any other dealings with them ?
I have experience with a number of mail order/discount places, and they tend
	to offer varied qualities of services. On a good note, I'd like to
	recommend a firm called 'PC's LIMITED'. They are strictly no frills,
	competitive prices, and no charges for shipping or credit cards.

I have seen similar discussions for other similar suppliers (eg Tennis
	Equiptment and Camera stuff). How about some feedback?
	Who's good ... who's not kind of stuff.

Tony
          E-MAIL                            US-MAIL
          ======                            =======
Tony Tong                       Vanguard Information Center Inc. U.S.A.
University of California        2620 Hillegass Ave #11
Computer Science Department     Berkeley, CA 94704
... !ucbvax!cory!ttt           Mark III Address
ttt@cory.Berkeley.EDU             4QK11 Catalog
                                  Address is TONYT

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (09/12/86)

> < Cheerios, Cheerios, Chomp, Chomp, Chomp >
>
> To all the user in net land, I'd like to share a recent experience I had
> while ordering some new stuff for my PC.
> One concerns the Mail Order Firm, 'Conroy LaPointe'.

Description of problem here ...

 They have filed for Chapter 11 banckruptcy. I believe they are only accepting
 cash vouchers (no personal checks, please!) and tha could be the source of all
 your problems.

 Mainstreet Computer has gone under and so has Progressive Micro. Northeastern
 Software in Shelton, CT recently received an "unsatisfactory" rating by the
 BBB.

 Life's a bowl of jelly beans ... until you shake 'em.

--

-- Ed.

Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511
Bell :  (203) 562-2101

nobi@mtuxo.UUCP (m.juliar) (09/12/86)

Re: Bad experience with Conroy-LaPointe

Just a quick comment -- I've order from Conroy-LaPointe two or three
times and have had nothing but the best of service from them, both
in ordering over the phone and in getting a shipment from them
quickly and accurately.  I wonder what circumstances caused them to
screw your order up?  Are they going through financial problems like
many other mail-order companies?  (The competition is fierce and
several have folded recently.)  Is their load of customers increasing
(because of other mail-order houses folding) faster than they can
handle?  I wonder.

Michael Juliar
mtuxo!nobi

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (09/13/86)

>... !ucbvax!cory!ttt           Mark III Address
>I have seen similar discussions for other similar suppliers (eg Tennis
>        Equipment and Camera stuff). How about some feedback?
>        Who's good ... who's not kind of stuff.

        Sounds like a good topic.  I bought a PC Clone and a lot  of
        other   stuff   recently.   I'll  start  out  with  my  good
        experiences.

                          CompuAdd Of Austin TX

        I  ordered  their  Career  Starter  Kit.   This  includes  a
        computer,  keyboard,  monitor, display adapter, and printer.
        The bundled software includes MS-Dos 3.2  GWBASIC,  and  the
        ZEN  software  series.  All  the  necessary  cables, printer
        paper, and 10 blank diskettes are included.

        The computer is a 8MHZ PC clone with an  AT-style  keyboard.
        The  nameplate  says  it's  a Standard Turbo-88, but all the
        documents refer to it as the  PC  II.  Since  the  documents
        match  the  computer  and  it  looks  just like a PCII I saw
        elsewhere, I conclude that it is a private label version  of
        the  PC  II.  You can put up to 1 MB on the motherboard, and
        it comes with a driver to use the additional 384kb as a  ram
        disk.  It also has a clock, one floppy disk drive and a game
        port.

        The monitor is a 12 inch amber one made by Goldstar.  I paid
        20  bucks  to  have  them  upgrade  the display adapter to a
        Hercules clone card.  The printer it is a  Citizen  120D.  I
        think that the bundled monitor and printer change sometimes,
        so you should ask about the models included if you order.

        In addition to the starter kit I ordered 768K of  additional
        RAM  for  the  system,  a 30MB half height hard disk, a 1200
        baud short card modem and a 8MHZ 8087 coprocessor chip.

        The salespeople I dealt with over the phone were polite  and
        knowledgeable    about   their   equipment.    I   had   one
        self-inflicted minor hassle caused by the  me  exceeding  my
        limit   on   my   Master  Card,  which  was  straighted  out
        expeditiously.  I received my computer about a  week  and  a
        half after my order.

        When I checked out the computer, I found  that  the  memory,
        hard disk, modem, and 8087 had already been installed, which
        from what I have read isn't necessarily SOP  for  mail-order
        firms.  I  hooked up the monitor and keyboard and plugged in
        the power cable and stuck the MS-DOS diskette  in  the  disk
        drive  and  turned  the  sucker on.  It worked, shucks I had
        more trouble than this with my VCR.

        I had one problem with the computer.  It insisted  that  any
        floppy  disk  I  tried  to  write to was write protected.  I
        called CompuAdd technical support line  and  the  guy  there
        suggested  I check the alignment of the write protect sensor
        and LED.  I opened up the case and fiddled with  the  sensor
        awhile, after that the drive worked fine and has ever since.

        The Goldstar monitor has a little too much  persistence  for
        my  taste,  it  tends to make the characters a little blurry
        during rapid scrolling.  Other than that I like it fine, the
        amber  display  is very attractive.  It looks real nice when
        I'm running Microsoft Windows and PC Paintbrush.

        The monochrome graphics display adapter appears to be a good
        clone  of  the  Hercules  card,  at  least I've told several
        software packages that it is a Hercules card  and  they  all
        worked fine.

        The Citizen printer works fine too.  It has a correspondence
        mode  that  won't be mistaken for daisywheel output, but the
        output is quite  legible  in  correspondence  mode.  It  can
        emulate a IBM Graphics Printer and Epson FX-80 also.

        The modem is made by Everex, is Hayes-compatible  and  comes
        with  a communications program called Bitcom which isn't bad
        at all considering it comes bundled with the modem.

        The only problem I've  had  so  far  that  I  would  term  a
        hardware  compatibility  problem  is  that Microsoft Windows
        locks up when I try to use the RAM disk.  The 384KB  on  the
        motherboard,  which  isn't  included in the normal 640KB DOS
        partition, is configured as a 2nd bank of memory starting at
        128KB.  The included driver then uses it as a RAM disk.  The
        RAM disk works fine with all of my other software, but  with
        Windows it locks up.

        The ZEN Word that was bundled with the system  is  fine,  PC
        Magazine  gave  it  a  good  review in the Jan. 28 86 issue,
        which I agree with.  They also said that ZEN Spell is  junk,
        which  I  also  agree with.  ZEN Calc appears to be adequate
        for simple spreadsheet chores.  ZEN Link appears to be okay,
	but I like Bitcom better.

        A few weeks later I ordered an EMS card and  2MB  of  memory
        chips  from  them.  Again  no  hassles and the stuff came in
        about a week.  The memory chips were  still  in  the  static
        carriers,  so  I  had to plug them in myself, a tedious, but
        not too difficult job.  It stuck me as a little odd to  have
        a system with 48 times as much memory as my Apple II.

        The only problem I've had was that  the  range  of  possible
        output  ports  used  by the EMS board overlaps those used by
        the on board clock.  The EMS board driver apparently manages
        to  zero  out  the year when it scans the ports to determine
        how many EMS boards are installed.  I wrote a  quicky  Turbo
        Pascal  program to set the year back to 86, that is executed
        by my AUTOEXEC.BAT file.  I haven't gotten around to  trying
        the  technical  support  line to see if they have a patch to
        the driver yet.

        Windows works just fine with the RAM disk driver for the EMS
        card.

        All in all I  am  very  pleased  with  my  experiences  with
        CompuAdd.  While I wouldn't recommend a novice computer user
        use mail-order, there are some excellent bargains  available
        for the wary and experienced user.

                       Logic Array of Costa Mesa Ca

        I bought a 8MHZ NEC V20 chip to replace  my  8088-2.  Every-
        thing was fine - no muss, no fuss.

                           Jameco of Belmont CA

        I got a replacement power supply for my Apple II from  them.
        Same  deal,  the  delivery  was in a reasonable time, it was
        what I ordered, and it worked.  Okay in my book.

                   Northeastern Software of Shelton CT

        Here I had a lot of hassles.  The 800 number was hard to get
        through  on.  The  order  taker was curt and unknowledgeable
        about their  inventory.  Practically  all  the  prices  were
        different,  and  higher than the ones listed in their ad.  I
        was told that the offer of free  air  express  shipping  for
        orders  of  $150  or  more had been discontinued, but it was
        still mentioned in their ad next month.  I get a letter from
        them  next  week  saying they had been unable to me reach on
        the phone to confirm my order.  They hadn't  mentioned  that
        they  needed  to when I made the order or I would have given
        my work number instead of my home one.  When I finally get a
        package from them two items have been back ordered, but when
        my Master Card bill arrives, I have been billed for  all  of
        them,  which is tacky, if not illegal. 5 weeks later I tried
        to call them about the status of the item I hadn't  received
        and  I  got  put  on hold and apparently forgotten twice.  I
        gave up and sent them a letter canceling my  order  for  the
        last  item (Sidekick non-protected) and excluded the cost of
        the last item from my credit  card  payment,  with  an  note
        explaining  why  to the credit card company.  I don't intend
        to do business with them again.

        Insert  standard  disclaimer  about  all  the  proper  names
        mentioned  above are probably trademarks and that everything
        I just said is my own opinion and not that of my company.
--
     Joel Upchurch @ CONCURRENT Computer Corporation (A Perkin-Elmer Company)
     Southern Development Center

mjb224@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/15/86)

Fantasic topic!!!  I too had a run-in with Conroy-LaPointe.  When I received a
copy of Turbo Pascal from them it had a nice razor slice right through the book
and diskette.  I called and was instructed to order another copy and return the
damaged product to them.  They charged me a restocking fee even though I was
explicitely told to handle the order that way (and I'm sure they are really
going to restock a mangled piece of software.)

Although at the time I was very irritated, the Comnroy-LaPoint account pales
next to my experience with Texas Computer Systems (TCS).

In brief:
* * * * * * * *     DO NOT BUY FROM TEXAS COMPUTER SYSTEMS    * * * * * * * * *
Not so brief:
I ordered a 20 meg 1/2 height hard disk.  Backorderd, I didn't receive it for
8 days.  It didn't work so I shipped it back (my cost $7.00).  They sent me
the "serviced" drive back a week after that.  I still didn't work.  They
instructed me to order another and ship the defective one back.  I did and
finally had a working drive in my machine just one mere month after I ordered
the original!!!  Two days after I received the working drive, yet another
appeared at my door.  TCS had charged my account for almost $1500 dollars
at this point and were very lax in crediting my VISA account. It took three
statements, phone calls and several multi-page letters to TCS, and letters
to Visa and the Better Business Bearau in Dallas before they coffed up.  The
whole ordeal cost me over $40 in interest, shipping and phone calls!!!

This is one company I would not mind seeing file chapter 11.

Mike Bruno

sean@ukma.uky.csnet (Sean Casey) (09/15/86)

In article <128@zen.BERKELEY.EDU> ttt@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Tony Tong) writes:
>To all the user in net land, I'd like to share a recent experience I had
>while ordering some new stuff for my PC.
>
>A week later, when the stuff had not arrived, I called the firm, and

This vividly illustrates the need to go about ordering things so that
you protect yourself:

1.	WRITE!  Reiterate any promises made on the phone and make them a
	condition of the sale.  Mention the person's name that makes these
	promises to you.
2.	Make copies of any and all documents that pass between you and the
	company.
3.	Pay by credit card or check.  Credit card companies will help you
	out if you have been ripped off.
4.	If you have problems, call or write PROMPTLY.  If that doesn't
	get good results, contact your local post office.  They can help
	enormously.  If it really is mail fraud, they will go to great
	lengths to prosecute them.
Sean Casey                UUCP:  cbosgd!ukma!sean        CSNET:  sean@uky.csnet
University of Kentucky    ARPA:  ukma!sean@anl-mcs.arpa
Lexington, Kentucky     BITNET:  sean@ukma.bitnet

mjg@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael Gingell) (09/15/86)

> To all the user in net land, I'd like to share a recent experience I had
> while ordering some new stuff for my PC.
> One concerns the Mail Order Firm, 'Conroy LaPointe'.
>     They do a large volume of business with large, impressive ads in all the
> 	monthlies, so I decided to give them a try. I was told over the phone that
> 	the parts I ordered (A new power supply and such) was in stock, ad that

I think I read in a recent Info World that Conroy LaPointe has folded.

jdo743@uiucuxa.CSO.UIUC.EDU (09/22/86)

Strange, I have nothing to say but good about my dealings with
Conroy-LaPointe.  The products I ordered were shipped promptly and I had no
problems with their service or anything whatsoever.

Jon Ogden

marty@ism780c.UUCP (Marty Smith) (09/24/86)

In article <10300013@uiucuxf> mjb224@uiucuxf.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>Fantasic topic!!!  I too had a run-in with Conroy-LaPointe.

For those of you who have asked for info on where and which AT clone to by:

Try American Micro Technology (AMT).  See their ad in PC WEEK, PC MAGAZINE,
etc.  Four of us here have purchased the AT clone over the last eight or nine
months.  No complaints about hardware or service.  Of the four AT's purchased,
two had a problem with the power supply.  AMT subsequently changed power
supplies from the dog they were using to a FORTRON supply.  They replaced
ours immediately, no questions asked.

I can't comment on their mail order service, because we all went directly
to their store to get ours.  But they're worth a look.  The AMT-286 starts
at $1199, which is an 8MHz 80286 and includes all the normal stuff.

				       Marty Smith