[net.micro.pc] BSR X10 Powerhouse: it's time to buy

stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) (09/25/86)

After reading the recommendations and reviews in this newsgroup on the
subject, I recently sent off for the X10 Powerhouse unit from DAK
Industries, to control all of my BSR modules, which my house was already
full of.

When it arrived, I was delighted beyond my expectations.  I could now
control all the devices in my home, to turn on and off multiple times
per day, not just the 8 devices/2 times-per-day I was limited to by my
BSR Timer unit.  It will address up to 256 devices, although I still
have less than 16 (having doubled up on some numbers) so that I can use
the same house code on all three of my manual control units.

But wait, there's more! They only billed me for $19.90 + $4 postage and
handling, instead of the $49.90 I was expecting to pay.  I called their
Customer Service 800 number and complained: "Hey, what's going on, this
is only 40% of what I expected to pay?", and was told that this was the
new price, they were closing them out.  Sure enough, a week later
(namely Sep 10), I got a special catalog, that had the unit listed for
$19.90.  It is a final close-out.

I'll tell you, I almost paid $125 for the Heathkit equivalent of this
device a year ago.  And, as the previous article said, this unit is
better than that one in several ways.  It originally listed for $129.
It was a BARGAIN at $49.90.  At $19.90, I'm going to buy a few more,
just for posterity.  If you have an extra serial port on your computer,
as someone pointed out, you can use one of these for a battery-backed-up
clock! Someone posted a program to net.sources last week so that you
could control the device with any computer, not just the ones that DAK
has special software for.  I mean, you should really want one of these
things! Even if you just want a couple of lamps to turn on and off at
random times in your house, or turn something on or off at an exact
minute, like a tape recorder to tape something.

DAK is closing out all their BSR stuff.  The lamp and appliance modules
are $11.90.  Meanwhile, Radio Shack just started selling some
lower-priced lamp and appliance modules, for $13.95 instead of $18.95.
They are beige instead of brown.

To order, call 800-325-0800, anytime.  Use Visa or Mastercard.  There is
a 30-day, no-questions-asked money back guarantee on all DAK stuff.

      ---type of computer--  --order #--
	Commodore 64/128	4378
	Apple IIE/IIC		4379
	IBM PC or clone		4410
	Macintosh		4411

	Lamp module		9779 ($11.90+$1 p&h)
	Appliance Module	9781 ($11.90+$1)
	Wall Switch Module	9780 ($12.90+$1)

If you have technical questions about this unit, you can call their
Technical Support Dept: 800-272-3200, or you can message me or one of
the other guys that posted information on this device.
--

Steve Vance
Qantel Corporation, Hayward, CA

rickb@tekig4.UUCP (Rick Bensene) (09/26/86)

In article <703@qantel.UUCP>, stv@qantel.UUCP (Steve Vance@ex2499) writes:

> DAK is closing out all their BSR stuff.  The lamp and appliance modules
> are $11.90.  Meanwhile, Radio Shack just started selling some
> lower-priced lamp and appliance modules, for $13.95 instead of $18.95.
> They are beige instead of brown.

Just got a Radio Shack Flyer in the mail -- Radio Shack is selling ALL
of their Wall Switch, Lamp & Appliance Modules for $9.95 each, and
selling the 'mini command console' for $8.88.  Looks like a price war
to me!  Go get 'em, they are selling VERY fast!

This may only be local to Portland, Oregon stores...watch your mail for
RS's latest flyer to see if the offer is extended in your area.

Rick Bensene
..tektronix!tekig4!rickb (work)
..tektronix!reed!omen!bucket!rickb (home)