[net.micro.pc] 10Mhz Clones

schmitz@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (09/28/86)

Can anyone help with this question:

I'm thinking of buying a 10Mhz AT clone.  Lots of expansion cards on the
market have a phrase in their advertisements like "works on 6Mz or 8Mhz AT
compatibles".  Are they leaving off the "10Mhz" just because such
machines are not very common?  It would seem that if the system bus is
truly asynchronous any expansion card (memory card, video card, disk
controller card, etc.) could be used. Thanks.

USENET:	...!{pur_ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!schmitz
CSNET:	schmitz%uiuc@csnet
ARPA:	schmitz@a.cs.uiuc.edu

jeffd@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Jeff Denenberg) (09/29/86)

> Can anyone help with this question:
>
> I'm thinking of buying a 10Mhz AT clone.  Lots of expansion cards on the
> market have a phrase in their advertisements like "works on 6Mz or 8Mhz AT
> compatibles".  Are they leaving off the "10Mhz" just because such
> machines are not very common?  It would seem that if the system bus is
> truly asynchronous any expansion card (memory card, video card, disk
> controller card, etc.) could be used. Thanks.
>

> USENET:	...!{pur_ee,ihnp4,convex}!uiucdcs!schmitz
> CSNET:	schmitz%uiuc@csnet
> ARPA:	schmitz@a.cs.uiuc.edu

Some of the better high speed clones run expansion cards at a lower rate than
the system clock. This prevents the speed incompatibility headaches. Check the
PC Limited line of AT clones at 10 & 12 Mhz (They even have one at 16Mhz but
I am wary of this one as it must use preselected chips at above rated speeds).

                               Jeff Denenberg
                               ..!decvax!ittvax!jeffd

skip@ubvax.UUCP (Stayton D Addison Jr) (10/01/86)

In article <5100136@uiucdcsb> schmitz@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>Can anyone help with this question:
>
>I'm thinking of buying a 10Mhz AT clone.  Lots of expansion cards on the
>market have a phrase in their advertisements like "works on 6Mz or 8Mhz AT
>compatibles".  Are they leaving off the "10Mhz" just because such

IBM sells two AT types.  One is 6 Mhz, including the I/O channel, the other
is 8 Mhz, including the I/O channel.  Many of the "10 MHz AT clones" run the
processor at 10 MHz and the I/O channel at 6 MHz -- to be compatible with IBM.
What the expansion board would see would be 6 MHz in that case.

Of course, the expansion board companies may just not be willing to step up
to the 10MHz speed, given that *IBM* hasn't come out with anything faster
than 8 MHz.