[net.micro.pc] PC Network & T.H.E.

mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) (09/26/86)

I ordered a T.H.E. PC+ (the one with good reviews in PC Magazine and
PC World) on Aug. 4 from PC Network in Chicago.  They told me there
would be a 4 to 6 week delay.  On Sept. 2 they sent a note saying
there would be up to 30 days delay.  Today I received another note
telling of a 45 day delay, and offering to cancel my order if I do
NOT send notice.  They charged my credit card for the full amount as
soon as they sent part of the order (the monitor and display card) in
Aug.  Has anyone else had any trouble with these folks?  They carry
the most and largest ads in the PC magazines.

Are there any suggestions for a reliable source for a cheap XT clone?
    AT keyboard clone (CTRL and \ in right place)
    4.77 & ~8 MHz  keystroke selectable
    640 Meg main memory
    20 Meg harddisk
    monochrome & parallel port card (I'll return the T.H.E. card)
    serial port (I had ordered an AST Multi I/O clone)
The PC Network price for all this (and the Princeton Max-12E) was
$1,260.  Too bad they couldn't deliver.  Is there a place that can be
trusted that isn't too much higher?  Thanks,
 Mel Haas , [decvax, berkeley, etc.]!ihnp4!houxa!mel1 (mel1 as in mel-one)

rob@gould9.UUCP (rob) (10/02/86)

In article <1185@houxa.UUCP>, mel1@houxa.UUCP (M.HAAS) writes:
> I ordered a T.H.E. PC+ (the one with good reviews in PC Magazine and
> PC World) on Aug. 4 from PC Network in Chicago.  They told me there
> would be a 4 to 6 week delay.  On Sept. 2 they sent a note saying
> there would be up to 30 days delay.  Today I received another note
> telling of a 45 day delay, and offering to cancel my order if I do
> NOT send notice.  They charged my credit card for the full amount as
> soon as they sent part of the order (the monitor and display card) in
> Aug.  Has anyone else had any trouble with these folks?  They carry
> the most and largest ads in the PC magazines.
>
> Are there any suggestions for a reliable source for a cheap XT clone?
>     AT keyboard clone (CTRL and \ in right place)
>     4.77 & ~8 MHz  keystroke selectable
>     640 Meg main memory
>     20 Meg harddisk
>     monochrome & parallel port card (I'll return the T.H.E. card)
>     serial port (I had ordered an AST Multi I/O clone)
> The PC Network price for all this (and the Princeton Max-12E) was
> $1,260.  Too bad they couldn't deliver.  Is there a place that can be
> trusted that isn't too much higher?  Thanks,
>  Mel Haas , [decvax, berkeley, etc.]!ihnp4!houxa!mel1 (mel1 as in mel-one)
	I purchased an xt clone from world media technology here in
San Diego and have been using it for a year now , it is the best clone
buy I could find at 895 and it has everything you asked for except the
hard drive, the hard drive can be added as I did for about 395$...