[net.micro.pc] Leading Edge & Other Clones

gritz@homxb.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) (10/01/86)

You should be aware that the Leading Edge Model D is a 4.77mhz design
which means that it is as slow as an IBM PC or XT.  Compared to anything
running at 8mhz (like an AT&T, EPSON, numerable clones) a 4.77mhz machine
is a DOG!  It is the oldest possible technology (like buying single sided
floppy drives).  I would strongly recommend getting something with an 8086
(8mhz) or 8088-2 (4.77 - 8mhz switchable) microprocessor.  The 808x technology
is already old enough, don't saddle yourself with a dog of a microprocessor.

Russ Sharples
homxb!gritz

jld@ulysses.UUCP (Jeff David) (10/02/86)

> You should be aware that the Leading Edge Model D is a 4.77mhz design
> which means that it is as slow as an IBM PC or XT.  Compared to anything
> running at 8mhz (like an AT&T, EPSON, numerable clones) a 4.77mhz machine
> is a DOG!  It is the oldest possible technology (like buying single sided
> floppy drives).  I would strongly recommend getting something with an 8086
> (8mhz) or 8088-2 (4.77 - 8mhz switchable) microprocessor.  The 808x technology
> is already old enough, don't saddle yourself with a dog of a microprocessor.
>
> Russ Sharples
> homxb!gritz

Big Deal!  If you are using the computer for your personal use you will not
notice the difference between 4.77 and 8mhz 95% of the time.  As for single-
sided drives, I still get over 500K on my AppleII single sided drive and only
360K on my double sided IBM clone.  Just because a technology is old doesn't
mean it is bad.  Sometimes it means it is more reliable.  If cost is more
improtant than speed, get a Model D.  It's a good machine for the price.

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (10/05/86)

In article <1412@ulysses.UUCP> jld@ulysses.UUCP (Jeff David) writes:
>                                                              As for single-
>sided drives, I still get over 500K on my AppleII single sided drive and only
>360K on my double sided IBM clone.  Just because a technology is old doesn't
>mean it is bad.

Huh?!?!?  Last time I checked, the Apple II drives stored 143k on a disk.
Operating systems older than DOS 3.3 stored even less.  Over 500k on a
single sided disk would require the kind of media density used on the new
1.2 meg IBM disks.  I don't mean to knock the Apple II, which was a great
machine in its day, but 143k drives that support neither DMA nor interrupts
are ancient compared to the 360k units in the PC.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben

timothym@tekigm2.UUCP (10/07/86)

In article <1992@homxb.UUCP> gritz@homxb.UUCP (R.SHARPLES) writes:

>You should be aware that the Leading Edge Model D is a 4.77mhz design
>which means that it is as slow as an IBM PC or XT.  Compared to anything
>running at 8mhz (like an AT&T, EPSON, numerable clones) a 4.77mhz machine
>is a DOG!  It is the oldest possible technology (like buying single sided
>floppy drives).  I would strongly recommend getting something with an 8086
>(8mhz) or 8088-2 (4.77 - 8mhz switchable) microprocessor.  The 808x technology
>is already old enough, don't saddle yourself with a dog of a microprocessor.
>
>Russ Sharples
>homxb!gritz

...of articles like this... !FLAME ON!  An AT&T computer ? Which one ? Epson ?

The AT&T PC-6300 uses an 8 MHz 8086 uP. The Compaq Deskpro a 7.14 MHz 8086 uP.
I do not know what the Epson's uP is.

An 8086 running at 4.77 MHz (a Compaq Deskpro in slow mode) is 1.6 times the
speed of an 8088 at 4.77 MHz (an IBM PC-XT). And even faster when compared at
an 8 MHz clock rate (8 MHz 8086 vs. 8 MHz 8088).

I also read an article in this group where someone wanted to upgrade an AT&T
PC-6300 with an accelerator card. Why? Most cards available have only 8 MHz
or 10 MHz 8086's, with some using 80826's at 8 MHz.

The gains made with the add-on cards are easily swampped by the software over-
head required to keep the I/O happy. A 4.77 MHz 8088 PC I might see, but....

KNOW WHAT MACHINE YOU HAVE BEFORE BUYING ANYTHING !

The guy with the 1.2 Meg floppy he's planning to put into a PC with standard
floppy controller... such a deal.

The misinformation to be had in this group is terrible. I wish only the known
facts could be posted, with all the drivel left out. net.micro.etc would then
be of real use.

Flame OFF.... OFF I said.... damn thing anyway....