[net.micro.pc] Hercules Color Card

emuroga@uiucdcs.cs.uiuc.edu (09/26/86)

    Has anyone had any experience with the Hercules Color Graphics Card, and
noticed any incompatibilities with the IBM Color Graphics Card?

Eisuke Muroga
University of Illinois

ARPA		emuroga@a.cs.uiuc.edu
CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
USENET		uiucdcs!emuroga

guest@csustan.UUCP (Chris Rhodes) (09/28/86)

In article <24700143@uiucdcs> emuroga@uiucdcs.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>    Has anyone had any experience with the Hercules Color Graphics Card, and

haven't we all?

>noticed any incompatibilities with the IBM Color Graphics Card?

does anybody really have one of these?

I've never heard of any incompatability problems.  Actually, since the
Herc has pretty much become the standard (clone color cards, like mine,
are called 'hercules compatable' rather than 'ibm cga compatable')
you couldn't go wrong in getting a hercules or compatable.

>Eisuke Muroga
>University of Illinois
>
>ARPA		emuroga@a.cs.uiuc.edu
>CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
>USENET		uiucdcs!emuroga

/*  Chris Rhodes / Shooting Shark
 *  Currently cowering behind lll-crg!csustan!guest
 *  real uucp : lll-crg!csuh!shark -or- lll-crg!ptsfa!harlie!shark
 *  My opinions *are* those of csustan!  Yeah, they made me spokesman, ah,
 */ president of the university!  Yeah, *that's* the ticket!

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (09/29/86)

In article <205@csustan.UUCP> guest@csustan.UUCP (Chris Rhodes) writes:
>In article <24700143@uiucdcs> emuroga@uiucdcs.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>>    Has anyone had any experience with the Hercules Color Graphics Card, and
>
>haven't we all?
>
>I've never heard of any incompatability problems.  Actually, since the
>Herc has pretty much become the standard (clone color cards, like mine,
>are called 'hercules compatable' rather than 'ibm cga compatable')
>you couldn't go wrong in getting a hercules or compatable.

Huh?  The Hercules Color Graphics and Monochrome Graphics boards are
two VERY different things.  It's the monochrome graphics board for which
they are known as the standard, not the color graphics board.  Their
color graphics board is "just another clone" of the IBM adapter.

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      seismo!{sundc|hadron}!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180

forbus@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu (09/30/86)

Unfortunately, while many programs know about the Hercules card, it is
not the default!  There are many incompatabilities between the CGA and
Hercules card, and many programs that run fine on CGA simply won't run
with the other.  I don't know of any program which works only with the
Hercules card but not CGA, but I know of many which will only work with
CGA.  If you're only going to get one graphics card (who wants to spend
money for more than one?), buy CGA.  We didn't for some of our machines,
and have spent alot of time regretting it.

What about EGA, PGA?  Wait on them.  Most software doesn't know about
them, and CGA clones are CHEAP.  Rumor has it that there will be
yet another "graphics standard" introduced next year, so I wouldn't
bet my money on anything fancier right now.  Cutting-edge technology
cuts both ways, you know.

skip@ubvax.UUCP (Stayton D Addison Jr) (10/02/86)

In article <10800031@uiucdcsp> forbus@uiucdcsp.cs.uiuc.edu writes:
> ... (discussion about Hercules)
>What about EGA, PGA?  Wait on them.  Most software doesn't know about
>them, and CGA clones are CHEAP.  Rumor has it that there will be
>yet another "graphics standard" introduced next year, so I wouldn't
>bet my money on anything fancier right now.  Cutting-edge technology
>cuts both ways, you know.

To the contrary, almost all graphics software knows about the EGA card.  The
PGA, though, will never be a hit.  As for rumors about another graphics
standard, there are ALWAYS rumors about another graphics standard.  Don't
bother waiting around for new technology that'll take another year after
introduction to get incorporated into the software base.

IBM's EGA is a little expensive.  I'm using a Genoa Spectrum EGA card right
now.  There are other good ones available.  You'll want at least 128k of
video RAM and the IBM EGA requires an expensive daughterboard for that.

-- Skip Addison
   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
   or sun!amd!ubvax!skip

latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (Ken Latham) (10/06/86)

> Nf-ID: #N:uiucdcs:24700143:000:261
> Nf-From: uiucdcs.cs.uiuc.edu!emuroga    Sep 26 14:08:00 1986
>

>     Has anyone had any experience with the Hercules Color Graphics Card, and
> noticed any incompatibilities with the IBM Color Graphics Card?
>
> Eisuke Muroga
> University of Illinois
>
> ARPA		emuroga@a.cs.uiuc.edu
> CSNET		emuroga@uiuc.csnet
> USENET		uiucdcs!emuroga

	I own a GENUINE Hercules Color Graphics Adapter

	( no clones here!...... huh? Isn't the HCGA a clone? :-> )

	The ONLY incompatibility I have ever found is a game called :

		Lode Runner  from "Broderbund" (c)*

	I've seen it function on a "all standard" IBM but it doesn't
	work properly on my IBM w/ HCGA.

	I'm not positive that it is the HCGA, I do have an AST-6-pack,
	however, but somehow it doesn't seem to me that that could be
	the cause ....  SO how `bout it Broderbund?

	Since more people write software to be HCGA compatible it is
	probably a good bet to go with one rather than pay IBM's price
	even if the HCGA is more expensive than the clones of it.

	"Broderbund" is a trademark of ( you guessed it ) ....

		Broderbund Software, Inc.
		17 Paul Drive
		San Rafael, California 94903-2101

				Ken Latham, Orlando , FL
				uucp: ihnp4!codas!bsdpkh!latham

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (10/06/86)

>	I own a GENUINE Hercules Color Graphics Adapter
>	The ONLY incompatibility I have ever found is a game called :
>		Lode Runner  from "Broderbund" (c)*

Gee, that's funny.  I've got an IBM clone (Tandy 1200), and can run the PC
version of Lode Runner just fine (good game, by the way.)  I have NEVER used
an IBM CGA (or an HCGA for that matter), but have used several clone color
cards (long story), and have not had any problems!

Lode Runner does NOT seem to work with a V20 installed, however.  Must be
the copy protection.  Anyone want to buy a used copy of Lode Runner?

perkins@bnrmtv.UUCP (Henry Perkins) (10/07/86)

> 	I own a GENUINE Hercules Color Graphics Adapter
> 	( no clones here!...... huh? Isn't the HCGA a clone? :-> )
> 	The ONLY incompatibility I have ever found is a game called :
> 		Lode Runner  from "Broderbund" (c)*
> 	I've seen it function on a "all standard" IBM but it doesn't
> 	work properly on my IBM w/ HCGA.
>
> 	Since more people write software to be HCGA compatible it is
> 	probably a good bet to go with one rather than pay IBM's price
> 	even if the HCGA is more expensive than the clones of it.

As a video game author (Championship Golf, from Activision's GameStar
division), I have to say you're all wet.

I've considered lots of color graphics cards in trying to make my
game portable (such as IBM EGA in CGA mode, Compaq CGA, PCjr, Tandy
1000, Texas Instruments BusinessPro), but the Hercules color card never
even came up, either in my game or in other games I know about.

I've found that Compaq is compatible with IBM's CGA except that Compaq
doesn't flicker, and everything else (IBM EGA included) is inferior in
terms of compatibility.

SUMMARY: Hercules standardized monochrome graphics, but nobody gives a
	 flying hoot about their color card as a "standard".
--
{hplabs,amdahl,okstate}!bnrmtv!perkins        --Henry Perkins

It is better never to have been born.  But who among us has such luck?
One in a million, perhaps.