[net.micro.pc] Inexpensive Modems

c9c-ae@buddy.Berkeley.EDU (c9c student) (09/16/86)

Has anyone had experience with the Everex Evercom Modem or the
Leading Edge Model "L" Modem or any other 1200 baud modem that
costs about $150?  Any info would be apreciated.

			       Thanks,
				  Clayton Yee

root@dosadi.UUCP (Maintenance Account) (09/18/86)

> Has anyone had experience with the Everex Evercom Modem or the
> Leading Edge Model "L" Modem or any other 1200 baud modem that
> costs about $150?  Any info would be apreciated.
>

> 			       Thanks,
> 				  Clayton Yee

I've used the evercom.  It has full hayes compatibility, relatively
immune to line noise (almost as good as a hayes, nowhere near as good
as the prometheus that took it's place).  It comes with a pretty nice
little communications program called bitcom, which is the only one I've
seen that allows you to create your own terminal emulations.  Other than
that, bitcom is pretty ordinary.  My only complaint about the modem itself
is the speaker.  The volume can only be controlled by an AT command, and
when you do change it, you get all or nothing.  If you're one of those
people who never uses the speaker, this won't bother you.

Yea, I'd recommend it.

I don't work for Everex, nor do I own stock in them (if they offer stock).

--

/Dave Edick/

{hplabs,ihnp4}!qantel!dosadi!root

             "I come in peace, take me to your lizard"

6101695@PUCC.BITNET (Raymond Chen) (09/20/86)

In article <110@dosadi.UUCP>, root@dosadi.UUCP (Maintenance Account) writes:

>> Has anyone had experience with the Everex Evercom Modem ...
>>                                 Clayton Yee
>
>My only complaint about the modem itself
>is the speaker.  The volume can only be controlled by an AT command, and
>when you do change it, you get all or nothing.
There is the L# command where 0 >= # >= 2 which controls loudness.  0=quiet,
2=loud.  I do have a complaint about the Everex:  It drops the carrier when
you pick up the extension phone.  This doesn't bother most people, but for
people like me who aren't sure if there is a computer on the other end, it
gives us a chance to apologize to the person who answers the phone.  (Also,
I like to monitor the progress of a call.  For what good it does, since it
garbles transmission if you're not very quiet.)
Raymond Chen, BITNET: 6101695@PUCC   "Don't look at me.  I'm new here."

gt6294b@gitpyr.UUCP (10/02/86)

> Has anyone had experience with [...] any other 1200 baud modem that
> costs about $150?  Any info would be apreciated.

My half-card 1200/300 bps "Express i" modem from Anchor Automation
cost $189, and has worked perfectly since I got it.  It is Hayes
compatible, auto dial, auto answer and has a speaker.  (Of course
the fidelity leaves alot to be desired)  I got it mail order from
Worldwide Access (818) 703-7996; they were very pleasent, and I got
it in about 5 days UPS.  I'm pleased with it.

Mike Scheutzow
Georgia Tech
uucp: gt6294b@gitpyr.uucp
ARPA: gt6294b@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu

mdf0@bunny.UUCP (Mark Feblowitz) (10/07/86)

> > Has anyone had experience with [...] any other 1200 baud modem that
> > costs about $150?  Any info would be apreciated.

Check out this week's PC Week for a review of modems.