[net.micro.pc] Info on EGA used in PC XT

preese@lapis.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) (09/30/86)

I've looked through all the old letters in net.micro.pc kept at my site
and can not find the answer to a question about the IBM EGA.  The
question is:
	How to set it up an EGA in a conventional PC XT?
I've plugged it in and the diagnostics say that it is there, programs
see it and are able to use it but at boot I receive a long beep
followed by 2 short beeps and then the normal boot process.  Is there a
switch that should be set to a different state to avoid these
diagnostic beeps?  Thanks for your help.

Phil Reese
	ucbvax!lapis!preese           UUCP
	preese@lapis.berkeley.edu     Arpanet

skip@ubvax.UUCP (Stayton D Addison Jr) (10/01/86)

In article <1359@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> preese@lapis.berkeley.edu (Phil Reese) writes:
>	How to set it up an EGA in a conventional PC XT?
>I've plugged it in and the diagnostics say that it is there, programs
>see it and are able to use it but at boot I receive a long beep
>followed by 2 short beeps and then the normal boot process.  Is there a

I've gotten to that state when another board was interfering with the
memory of the EGA.  The EGA uses A0000 through BFFFF for display memory,
and C0000 through C3FFF for ROM.  If you've got any "unusual" boards in
your system, take them out and see if the problem goes away.

-- Skip Addison
   {lll-crg, decwrl, ihnp4}!amdcad!cae780!ubvax!skip
   or sun!amd!ubvax!skip

james@inmet.UUCP (10/07/86)

It sounds like you have the system board switch set expecting
a color or monochrome monitor.  There are three possible
settings: color, monochrom, or other.  It should be set to other.
(At least for my EGA, which is a NSI Logic ega clone)

By the way, the NSI Logic is a good ega clone.  It is the only one
I know of that real documentation is available for- they have
a Tech Ref manual they sell for 39.95 with a coupon that comes
with the board.  It also has hardware emulation of both MDA and
CGA, which makes funny game software work just fine.\
PC Connection in New Hampshire is(was?) selling them for $279.

----james triplett