[net.micro.pc] COM1: problems

doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) (10/07/86)

Hi,
	I am attempting to write a simple full-duplex communications program
for our AT-clone and I am having a bit of trouble. While the code for reading
from  KBD: and writing to COM1: works properly, I am having troubles reading
from COM1:. It seems that I can only receive EVERY OTHER character sent from
our remote host to the AT. Now, I've done a lot of work with 8250A's and I've
found them easy and friendly to work with but, this has me stumped. When I
use a standard communications package (ie PC 2622) everything works fine so
I know COM1: is functioning properly. Anybody else experience this problem ?

	Thanks,
	Harry Reed
	sdcrdcf!doon

smelser@wanginst.UUCP (Craig Smelser) (10/08/86)

In article <3061@sdcrdcf.UUCP> doon@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Harry W. Reed) writes:

>Hi,
>	I am attempting to write a simple full-duplex communications program
>for our AT-clone and I am having a bit of trouble. While the code for reading
>from  KBD: and writing to COM1: works properly, I am having troubles reading
>from COM1:. It seems that I can only receive EVERY OTHER character sent from
>our remote host to the AT. Now, I've done a lot of work with 8250A's and I've
>found them easy and friendly to work with but, this has me stumped. When I
>use a standard communications package (ie PC 2622) everything works fine so
>I know COM1: is functioning properly. Anybody else experience this problem ?

Harry,
	The problem is quite simple: most languages (with the exception of
BASICA, and other similiar versions, don't support buffered communications.

In order to effectively read from COM1, you will need to write your own
interrupt service buffering routine.

If you need specific help, give me a call at my work: 1-800-225-0962 x6132.

--

Craig Smelser

    [apollo, ucadmus, decvax, vaxine, masscomp]!wanginst!smelser
    smelser%WangInst@Csnet-Relay