[net.micro.pc] Quadram QuadEGA+

jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) (10/14/86)

I'm looking for anyone with experience using an EGA in 43 line mode.
We are using a Quadram QuadEGA+, and the IBM technical reference, and
after calling the BIOS in the manner specified by IBM, we see:

    o   The 8 by 8 character set loads fine.
    o   The display *appears* to be in 43 line mode (line 24~= 2/3 down)
    o   When we scroll down to line 24, the display does not scroll up.
    o   We cannot move the cursor to any line below 24.
    o   Examination of absolute location 0:484 (rows) shows 0x2B (43 lines).

My question is this:  Is it us, Quadram, or both?  We have called Quadram,
and they say, "The QuadEGA is 100% compatible .... Lotus runs fine in 43
row mode .... we can't provide that type of support (BIOS discussion)".
In short, Quadram technical support is useless.

Any help, phone, net or email, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John Allen
NetExpress Communications, Inc.      seismo!{sundc|hadron}!netxcom!jallen
1953 Gallows Road, Suite 300         (703) 749-2238
Vienna, Va., 22180

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (10/16/86)

In article <131@netxcom.UUCP> jallen@netxcom.UUCP (John Allen) writes:

>I'm looking for anyone with experience using an EGA in 43 line mode.
>We are using a Quadram QuadEGA+, and the IBM technical reference, and
>after calling the BIOS in the manner specified by IBM, we see:
>
>    o   The 8 by 8 character set loads fine.
>    o   The display *appears* to be in 43 line mode (line 24~= 2/3 down)
>    o   When we scroll down to line 24, the display does not scroll up.
>    o   We cannot move the cursor to any line below 24.
>    o   Examination of absolute location 0:484 (rows) shows 0x2B (43 lines).
>
>My question is this:  Is it us, Quadram, or both?  We have called Quadram,
>and they say, "The QuadEGA is 100% compatible .... Lotus runs fine in 43
>row mode .... we can't provide that type of support (BIOS discussion)".
>In short, Quadram technical support is useless.
>
>Any help, phone, net or email, would be greatly appreciated.

I have a QuadEGA+, and it works fine in 43 line mode.  I have have tried
it with nansi.sys, as well as with the following program from PC Magazine.

The following is a debug script that puts an EGA into 43 line mode.

N EGA43.COM
MOV   AX,1112	;Load 8x8 font
MOV   BL,00
INT   10
SUB   AX,AX
MOV   DS,AX
PUSH  [0487]	;Save INFO byte
OR    BYTE PTR [0487],01
MOV   CX,0600	;Set cursor size
MOV   AH,01
INT   10
POP   [0487]	;Restore INFO byte
MOV   DX,03B4	;Fix up underline
MOV   AX,0714
OUT   DX,AX
INT   20

R CX
28

Perhaps you might want to compare this to the info given in the IBM tech
manual.

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben