[net.micro.pc] PC-VT emulator; other VT emulators for PC's

rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) (10/06/86)

As a contributor to the VT100 emulator test program, I can state that I have
yet to see a software-based emulator that passes it, including Xtalk 3.6,
Procomm 2.4, and PC-VT. If anyone discovers one that does, please announce!
Since the tester is PD, hopefully it will be picked up and used by the
developers of comms packages.
--
  ______			Russ Herman
 /      \			{allegra,ihnp4,pyramid,decvax}!utzoo!aesat!rwh

dalem@hpfcph.HP.COM ( Dale McCluskey) (10/13/86)

PC-VT worked with VMS before VMS had a terminfo style facility, and when
that was added to VMS it went on working just fine.  This doesn't prove that
it is a perfect VT100 emulation, but does speak for PC-VT's ability to handle
normal VT100 escape sequences.

					Dale McCluskey

					{ihnp4,hplabs}!hpfcla!dalem

jso@edison.UUCP (John Owens) (10/15/86)

In article <650@aesat.UUCP>, rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) writes:
> As a contributor to the VT100 emulator test program, I can state that I have
> yet to see a software-based emulator that passes it [....]

I, too, have been frustrated with the quality of vt100 emulation.
People seem to get cursor moves, basic attributes, and things right,
but when it comes to more obscure sequences....  However, VTERM III
from Coefficient Systems comes pretty close.

It passes almost everything, including 132-column, light and dark
backgrounds, scroll regions (important to me), all the attribute
combinations, all the keyboard combinations, and handles double-sized
and double-height characters reasonably.  They even have smooth scroll
slower than jump scroll.

The things that failed are:
	auto repeat off
	request terminal parameters args 0 and 1 (although identify
		and DSR 5 and 6 work fine).
	reset didn't do anything

If I just start the program and do the VT52 test, it runs fine.
If I run the entire program through, the VT52 test fails.  I seem to
remember this as a known bug in vttest, though.

John Owens		General Electric Company - Charlottesville, VA
jso@edison.GE.COM	old arpa: jso%edison.GE.COM@seismo.CSS.GOV
+1 804 978 5726		old uucp: {seismo,decuac,houxm,calma}!edison!jso

neighorn@percival.UUCP (Steve Neighorn) (10/16/86)

In article <650@aesat.UUCP> rwh@aesat.UUCP (Russ Herman) writes:
>As a contributor to the VT100 emulator test program, I can state that I have
>yet to see a software-based emulator that passes it, including Xtalk 3.6,
>Procomm 2.4, and PC-VT. If anyone discovers one that does, please announce!
>Since the tester is PD, hopefully it will be picked up and used by the
>developers of comms packages.

I have seen one program pass both the DEC STORE test and the VTCOMPAT.TXT
program (as it is known on the BBS's in this little part of the country.)
The program is called Professional YAM, and both files pass with flying
colors - windows, scrolling, PC colors, ANSI graphics, etc. CrossTalk,
Pibterm, Copylink II, ProComm, etc all have problems at one place or
another in both of the tests.

Information requests on Pro-YAM can be serviced by sending mail to
....!tektronix!reed!omen!caf on UUCP. And, of course, I have no affiliation
with the makers of Pro-YAM other than I like to see excellent software
become popular and mediocre software pass to the lower parts of the earth.
--
Steven C. Neighorn               tektronix!reed!percival!qiclabs!neighorn
Portland Public Schools      "Where we train young Star Fighters to defend the