[net.micro.pc] Clones & Horror stories

ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) (10/13/86)

I would like to hear about some of the problems (and successes) people
have had ordering pc compatable computers from advertisers in the back
of Byte and in The Computer Shopper.  Some of the prices and config-
urations make my mouth water, but it seems too good to be true...
..................................................Thanx,
							Dave Cook.

nather@ut-sally.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/14/86)

In article <552@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU>, ln63fhl@sdcc7.ucsd.EDU (David Cook) writes:
> I would like to hear about some of the problems (and successes) people
> have had ordering pc compatable computers from advertisers in the back
> of Byte and in The Computer Shopper.  Some of the prices and config-
> urations make my mouth water, but it seems too good to be true...

I bought an XT clone from CompuAdd in Austin ("Standard Brand") with
    640K on the motherboard
    2 Teac 360K floppy drives
    An Amdek 310 amber monitor
    A Hercules-compatible graphics card
    A clock with serial & parallel ports

Total cost: $950.

It has been working for over 6 months with no problems of any kind, except
that it won't work with a NEC V20 -- it insists on an Intel 8088.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

harrison@ucsfcgl.UUCP (Peter Harrison%MIS) (10/16/86)

A friend in NY has persuaded so many people to buy a Fortune clone that
they gave him one.   He has no connection with the company, at least he
did not)  He now has about 6 computers and writes for some
computer magazines (i.e. knowledgeable, with a vast array of software).
I saw the Fortune at a show in SF Bay Area loaded, with 20 meg, for
about $1400.  Other systems I priced were $1100 (20 meg, 640k, parallel,
serial, clock, monochrome graphics and monitor).

Peter Harrison
UUCP: ucbvax!ucsfcgl!harrison
ARPA: ucsfcgl!harrison@berkeley.arpa
Phone: (415) 355-2149
US Mail: 419 Roberts Rd., Pacifica, CA 94044-3246

alt@duke.UUCP (Larry L. Taylor) (10/17/86)

After several years of suckling at the teat of Mother Big Blue, we had
accumulated an interesting collection of spare parts in our humble little
laboratory. These parts consisted of cast offs and hand-me-downs from users
who went on to bigger and better things. One day an interesting idea dawned in
the mind of one of the workers in this vineyard of science. "Let's take all
these spare parts," he said excitedly, " add just a little bit of money and
create a PC Clone."

Like Dr. Frankenstein's demented assistant, Igor, we accumulated the boards
and other paraphenalia that would be stitched together to form a new bred of
computer in our midst. The following pieces were retrieved from various
graveyards:

             * Amdek 300A amber monitor
             * IBM  Enhanced Graphics Adapter
             * Keytronic KB 5150 keyboard
             * IBM serial card
             * IBM parallel card
             * Shugart half-height floppy
             * CDC half-height floppy

Like many others, we had drolled over the ever lowering prices for clone parts
that we saw in the back pages of Byte. With grand confidence and our fingers
crossed we placed an order with JDR Microelectronics for the following parts:

             * XT compatible motherboard -- $129.95
             * Floppy disk drive adaptor --  $34.95
             * Pro-BIOS                  --  $19.95
             * 150 WATT Power Supply     --  $79.95
             * Flip-top case             --  $39.95
             * 256K RAM                  --  $26.55
                                    Total = $331.30

Unlike Frankenstein's monster which never had a price tag attached to it, our
little creation would be quite a bargain. The P.O. was cut and it was with
anxious anticipation that we received a rather large box several weeks later.

An eager and disgustingly bright work-study undergraduate was assigned the
task of assembling the clone. The motherboard was populated with RAM and ROM
and mounted in the sturdy-looking case. The power supply was bolted in place
and plugged in. Without any ceremony the switch was thrown. Nothing happened!
The rather meager instruction we received from JDR (the nth xerox of a mangled
master) said that the fan on the power supply should spin merrily. A heavy air
of dread and foreboding descended upon the room. Sure, Tricky Dickie
recognized the Red Chinese, but why should we suffer such terrible retribution
from the Taiwanese.

Not to be conquered without a fight, I took my trusty screwdriver in hand and
proceeded to crack the shell of the offending power supply. Lo and behold the
quality control inspector must have drunk too much plum wine the night before
he passed this particular power supply. A connector marked "AC IN" was not
plugged into its designated receptacle. Thank the Lord that this power supply
wasn't riveted together like so many of Big Blue's. Putting the energy box
back together, we were greeted with a hearty hum from the fan and all voltages
checked out within specs.

Next came the mounting of the disk drives. Suddenly the flip-top case did not
seem like such a terrific convenience when we were told that the drives had to
be mounted first in their bracket and then mounted in the case using screws
that were inserted through the bottom. Not too bad the first time around, but
I'm certain that this "hairy barbarian" will be directing mumbled expletives
eastward when one of these drives needs to be removed. The flip-top sides also
make it difficult to mount certain cards. Recently we received a hard card for
another machine. The manufacturer recommends you put it into the first slot so
that other slots are not wasted. The flip-top case makes it impossible to
insert the hard card into the first slot.

At this point all the card were in place and the fateful moment of sending our
monster to the roof to be invigorated with electricity arrived. The switch was
manipulated and again nothing happened. After some worried scrambling we
discovered that the switch settings on the motherboard were wrong. Our fault.
After several "mea culpa's", the switch was thrown once again and we saw a
wonderous sight. RAM memory was being checked, then a message appeared telling
us that I/O boards were being tested and then, with bated breath, drives
whirled into action and the monster opened its eyes and asked us for the date.
Wild jubilation ensued.

After our emotions were contained, we proceeded to check out the various
boards. The printer worked. That only left the serial card to check out. With
mounting hope we ran PROCOMM and dialed up our local UNIX node, only to be
greeted by smiley faces and male symbols. The IBM serial card obviously didn't
like the shot-gun wedding we had arranged. First checking to make sure the
card performed flawlessly in a true-blue PC, I called JDR for the first time
thinking that someone in the universe had run into the same problem. JDR was
courteous but hadn't a clue as to what the problem might be. They thought that
everyone had their serial port on a multifunction card, but a wearer of hand-
me-downs can't keep up with the latest fashion trends. Anyhow I borrowed a
multi-function card from a neighbor's PC and it worked flawlessly in the
clone. Next I stared at the board and its schematic in the Technical Reference
Manual. All I could find was a mysterious jumper on the board labeled J13.
This jumper enables the Data Input Strobe (bar DISTR). For some reason only
known in Tapei the Taiwanese motherboard didn't like this signal being
asserted. I removed the shorting block from J13 and was relieved to see the
familar login message.

All in all, I guess our clone experience hasn't been that bad. The DOA power
supply may have been a fluke and the hardware incompatibility with the IBM
serial card was solved without too much trouble. I did, however, neglect to
mention that in the midst of all this frenzied activity, there was a period of
time in which the system just refused to response.  After some panic-stricken
moments of flexing the motherboard and resetting cards, the system resurrected
itself. I expect this kind of behavior from my wirewrap boards, it makes me
nervous with a multi-layered printed circuit board. Please don't flame about
getting what you pay for, etc. The risks seemed acceptable and we do have a
functioning system. How long it will remain so is anybody's bet. Just thought
those of you out there in netland might like to learn from our experience.

                                                    Larry Taylor (alt@duke)
                                                    Duke Biophysipedic Lab