[net.micro.pc] HELP!! hard-disk failure

kling@uicsl.UUCP (10/20/86)

Hello, IBM-fans,

I have a problem with my PC/AT Hard disk. I accidentally unplugged
my computer while it was running, although the 'usage' light of the
hard disk was not on. Since that time the computer refuses to boot
from the hard disk and also the FDISK program aborts witha fixed
disk error message.
Since I haven't had my system for very long and the manuals don't
help me in that kind of problem, I'd like to ask if anybody has had
such a problem before and what can be done.
Any help is greatly appreciated !!!

		Thanks
		Ralph Kling

(ARPANET:  uicsl%kling@a.cs.uiuc.edu)

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (10/22/86)

kling@uicsl.UUCP writes:
>I have a problem with my PC/AT Hard disk. I accidentally unplugged
>my computer while it was running, although the 'usage' light of the
>hard disk was not on. Since that time the computer refuses to boot...

I've had the same problem - Try running the setup program supplied with
your diagnostic disks (Red binder, disk marked as Diagnostics - boot with
that disk and choose Setup from the menu given).  My system sometimes forgets
that there is a hard disk selected (Cmos RAM contents go poof...).  I don't
know why it does that cuz the battery seems OK and it only does it when
power goes out while the system is running (and at that, only sometimes).

--
"Never trust an idea you get sitting down" - Nietzche
------------	{harvard,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)