[net.micro.pc] Strange modem happenings

asf@sbcs.UUCP (Alan S. Fink) (10/18/86)

My modem (or phone) seems to be acting strangely.  I have a Leading Edge 2400
baud modem on which I primarily run Crosstalk XVI.  My problem is with auto-
dialing.  When I invoke the dialer with the telephone handset down (which I
imagine is how it should be), the modem dials the number and immediately I
receive a recorded operator message "I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed
as dialed..."   However, if before autodialing, I take the handset off the
cradle, the modem dials the number and my connection is made.

So, does anybody know why this might be happening?  Not knowing a whole lot
about the technical aspects of modems (and even less about telephones), I'm
at a loss.  I don't mind *too* much having to take the receiver off the hook,
but it would be preferable if I didn't have to.

Thanks in advance.  E-mail or post to the net - I read both daily.

Alan S. Fink
UUCP:  {allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!asf
ARPA:  asf%sunysb.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA
CSNET: asf@sunysb.edu

plocher@puff.wisc.edu (John Plocher) (10/20/86)

Alan S. Fink writes:
>My modem (or phone) seems to be acting strangely.
>dialing.  When I invoke the dialer with the telephone handset down, the modem
>dials the number and immediately I receive a recorded operator message
>"I'm sorry, your call cannot be completed as dialed..."

Try placing a ',' before your dialing string:  "ATDT,15551212"
The ',' introduces a 1-2 second delay which will allow the telco
central office's slow (prob mechanical relay type) matrix switch
to set itself up to accept your call.

Taking the handset off hook allowed tht telco enuf time to allocate a
circuit to you before you started dialing...

Good luck & have fun!
--
		harvard-\         /- uwmacc!uwhsms!plocher        (work)
John Plocher     seismo-->!uwvax!<

tj@utcs.UUCP (10/22/86)

First guess is that the modem isn't waiting for dial tone and is
starting to dial too soon. Try a pause as part of the prefix. Better
yet, tell it to wait for the dial tone!