[net.micro.pc] Interrupts on PCs

bright@dataio.UUCP (10/22/86)

I am attempting to compile a list of what all the interrupts on PCs are
used for, and what defines them (8088 chip, PC hardware, BIOS, MS-DOS, etc.).
Please mail me any additions and/or corrections, and I will incorporate
them and repost the list.

Interrupts on IBM PCs, ATs, etc.
In () are what defines the use of the interrupt.

INT 0	Divide Error
INT 1	Single-Step
INT 2	NMI (CPU chip)
INT 3	1 Byte Software interrupt (CPU chip)
	Generated by opcode 0CCh.
INT 4	Overflow
INT 5	Print Screen (BIOS)
INT 8-0F Vectored hardware lines IRQ0-IRQ7 (IBM PC)
INT 8	Timer interrupt
INT 9	Keyboard interrupt
INT B	COM2: Interrupt
INT C	COM1: Interrupt (IBM PC)
INT E	Diskette interrupt
INT F	PPI interrupt
INT 10	Video I/O (BIOS)
INT 11	Equipment Determination (BIOS)
INT 12	Memory Size (BIOS)
INT 13	Diskette I/O (BIOS)
INT 14	RS232 I/O (BIOS)
INT 15	Cassette I/O (BIOS)
INT 16	Keyboard I/O (BIOS)
INT 17	Printer I/O (BIOS)
INT 18	Transfer to ROM Basic (BIOS)
INT 19	Boot Strap Loader (BIOS)
INT 1A	Time of Day (BIOS)
INT 1B	Ctrl-Break Handler (BIOS)
INT 1C	Clock Tick
INT 1D	Video Parameters (BIOS)
INT 1E	Disk Parameters (BIOS)
INT 1F	Pointer to Video Ext (BIOS)
INT 20	Program Termination (MS-DOS)
INT 21	MS-DOS Functions (MS-DOS)
INT 22	Terminate Address (MS-DOS)
INT 23	Ctrl-Break Exit Address (MS-DOS)
INT 24	Critical Error Handler Vector (MS-DOS)
INT 25	Absolute Disk Read (MS-DOS)
INT 26	Absolute Disk Write (MS-DOS)
INT 27	Terminate But Stay Resident (MS-DOS)
INT 28-2E MS-DOS Internal Routines (MS-DOS)
INT 2F	Printer (MS-DOS 3.0 or later)
INT 30-3F Reserved for MS-DOS (MS-DOS)
INT 33	Microsoft Mouse Driver (MOUSE.SYS and MOUSE.COM)
INT 3F	Overlay Interrupt (Microsoft LINK.EXE)
INT 67	Expanded Memory Management handler (LIM EMS Spec)
INT F8	Interval Timer
INT FA	USART Ready
INT FB	USART Rx Ready

jkg@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Jim Greenlee) (10/24/86)

In article <1105@dataio.UUCP> bright@dataio.UUCP writes:
>I am attempting to compile a list of what all the interrupts on PCs are
>used for, and what defines them (8088 chip, PC hardware, BIOS, MS-DOS, etc.).
>Please mail me any additions and/or corrections, and I will incorporate
>them and repost the list.

There was a fairly comprehensive treatment of interrupts among the various
IBM PCs in the 1985 edition of "BYTE - Inside the IBM PCs". It's much too
long to post here, but anybody who does that type of work should check it
out. It listed all the interrupts for all of IBM's PCs, as well as tips on
writing interrupt handlers from within high level languages.

                                            Jim Greenlee

--
The Shadow
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!jkg