[net.micro.pc] do not post executables to net.micro.pc

mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (10/19/86)

net.micro.pc is NOT an appropriate place to post large files
such as MS DOS source or executables.  If this practice continues,
the group may become unusable for discussions, because some backbone
admins will refuse to carry it.

If you want to post sources and binaries for MS DOS, let's create a
moderated group for it, similar to mod.mac.sources.  If someone wants
to volunteer to moderate this group, please contact me.

(I don't know what this all means on the INFO-IBMPC side of the gateway;
that policy is set by the moderator on that side, but if he would like
to cooperate in this endeaver, I'll be happy to coordinate it.)

	Mark Horton
	cbosgd!mark
	mark@cbosgd.att.com	(if your mailer is smart)
	mark@Berkeley.EDU	(will be forwarded)

stevens@boulder.UUCP (Curt Stevens) (10/21/86)

In article <2764@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>net.micro.pc is NOT an appropriate place to post large files
>
>If you want to post sources and binaries for MS DOS, let's create a
>moderated group for it, similar to mod.mac.sources.  If someone wants
>to volunteer to moderate this group, please contact me.

I agree. Lets get a mod group going for all of these binaries. I know that
the loss of these items would bum me out for quite some time and the volume
is just too large for people who want to only carry on discussions.

Curt Stevens                      |             ||    ---           \
University of Colorado at Boulder |             ||    | |            \
Comp.Sci.(systems)   303/492-6096 |             ||    ---             \
-----------------------------------             ||           =====     |
E-MAIL:                           |             ||           =====     |
uucp:seismo!nbires!boulder!stevens|             ||    ---             /
csnet:             stevens@boulder|             ||    | |            /
arpa:  stevens%boulder@csnet-relay|             ||    ---           /

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (10/24/86)

From reading this net, my impression is that it serves a fairly large body of
users (whether that's good or bad depends on whether you're a backbone, I
suppose).  Granted, we aren't the mainstream of net, but then I'm not sure
what the mainstream is, or even whether there IS a mainstream.

Personally, I find the code that comes along it to be quite useful, and I DON'T
live in a big city with dozens of BBSs around.  Discussing programs seems to be
naturally connected to sharing them, somehow.

If it is truly intolerable for source code, not to mention executable code, to
be posted here, I very much hope that a "mod.sources.pc" AND (or) a
"mod.binary.pc", or whatever is acceptable, could be created to fill what I
think is a genuine and widespread need (well, desire then).  If I thought I was
going to be around long enough, I'd even volunteer to learn what being a
moderator means...

 Datclaimer: "[Usual disclaimer: I have no opinion, therefore I don't exist .]"
Disclaimer: I opine, therefore I am.  -- My employer, however, is a figment.

RAMontante
Computer Science				"Have you hugged ME today?"
Indiana University