[net.micro.pc] Procomm 2.4.1 bugs

sjm@dayton.UUCP (Steven J. McDowall) (10/20/86)

Having used Procomm 2.4.1 (tm) for a little while now, I still have
found these various bugs (same as 2.4 suprise!):

    1)  When in vt-100 mode, and in line-wrap (auto wrap) it still
        wraps at the 80'th character, even if the next character is
        a C/R or a L/F. It SHOULD wait for the 81'st character before
        it decides it needs to wrap.

    2)  When down loading using the Kermit protocol, it seems to ALWAYS
        convert N/L (ie. Line Feeds) into C/R L/F pairs. Even if you specify
        a binary file transfer. Needless to say, this wrecks havok.
        No where (at least where I can see :-) do I specify this conversion
        to take place.

--
Steven J. McDowall
Dayton-Hudson Dept. Store. Co.		UUCP: ihnp4!rosevax!dayton!sjm

nobody@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (Unprivileged user) (10/20/86)

In article <216@dayton.UUCP> sjm@dayton.UUCP (Steven J. McDowall) writes:

>Having used Procomm 2.4.1 (tm) for a little while now, I still have
>found these various bugs (same as 2.4 suprise!):
>
>    1)  When in vt-100 mode, and in line-wrap (auto wrap) it still
>        wraps at the 80'th character, even if the next character is
>        a C/R or a L/F. It SHOULD wait for the 81'st character before
>        it decides it needs to wrap.

I have reported this problem to the authors, along with my
registration.

>    2)  When down loading using the Kermit protocol, it seems to ALWAYS
>        convert N/L (ie. Line Feeds) into C/R L/F pairs. Even if you specify
>        a binary file transfer. Needless to say, this wrecks havok.
>        No where (at least where I can see :-) do I specify this conversion
>        to take place.

I have not experienced this problem -- I have downloaded many
binary files with versions 2.3, 2.4, and 2.4.1.

	Rick Randall    EECS Department
			University of California, San Diego

	decvax\ 	rick@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu
	ihnp4  >--->	sdcsvax  ---> rick
	ucbvax/		rick@sdcsvax.uucp

wmf@chinet.UUCP (William M. Fischer) (10/23/86)

In article <2150@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU> rick@beowulf.UUCP (Rick Randall) writes:
>In article <216@dayton.UUCP> sjm@dayton.UUCP (Steven J. McDowall) writes:
>>
>>Having used Procomm 2.4.1 (tm) for a little while now, I still have
>>found these various bugs (same as 2.4 suprise!):
>>
>>    1)  When in vt-100 mode, and in line-wrap (auto wrap) it still
>>        wraps at the 80'th character, even if the next character is

...when downloading with KERMIT ...
>>        convert N/L (ie. Line Feeds) into C/R L/F pairs. Even if you specify
>>        a binary file transfer. Needless to say, this wrecks havok.

I am writing this with version 2.4.2, just released, and have to say that the
line wrap problem has been alleviated, tho not completely cured. Using vi, the
text will either jump down two lines or reverse feed one line if one tries to
write off the end of the line. A ^L clears it all up... minor, but annoying.

More serious is the inability of PROCOMM to use kermit to transfer binaries in
a consistant fashion. The LF to CR/LF problem can be fixed from the setup menu
in the terminal section. In spite of this, binaries are a hit or miss
proposition at best. Text kermit xfer's up and down work admirably...(sigh).

             |    Fortiter in re,       ||     Bill Fischer     |
             |       suaviter in modo.  ||  ...ihnp4!chinet!wmf |

simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) (10/24/86)

                 how about posting it again

		      with the bugs fixed

       i just happen to have another 800 dollars to spend
--
Simon Kenyon
EUnet: simon@einode.UUCP

bobmon@iuvax.UUCP (Robert Montante) (10/28/86)

In article <201@einode.UUCP> simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) writes:

>                 how about posting it again
>
>		      with the bugs fixed
>
>       i just happen to have another 800 dollars to spend
>Smail: The National Software Centre, Dublin, IRELAND
>Phone: +353-1-716255
>EUnet is a registered trademark of the EUUG

With enough bugfixes, we should get the (U.S.) trade deficit under control...

ddrex@gorgo.UUCP (10/28/86)

/* Written 10:48 am  Oct 24, 1986 by simon@einode.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:net.micro.pc */
/* ---------- "Re: Procomm 2.4.1 bugs" ---------- */

                 how about posting it again

		      with the bugs fixed

       i just happen to have another 800 dollars to spend
--
Simon Kenyon
EUnet: simon@einode.UUCP
Smail: The National Software Centre, Dublin, IRELAND
Phone: +353-1-716255
EUnet is a registered trademark of the EUUG
/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:net.micro.pc */

ddrex@gorgo.UUCP (10/28/86)

/* Written 10:48 am  Oct 24, 1986 by simon@einode.UUCP in gorgo.UUCP:net.micro.pc */
/* ---------- "Re: Procomm 2.4.1 bugs" ---------- */

                 how about posting it again

		      with the bugs fixed

       i just happen to have another 800 dollars to spend
--
Simon Kenyon
EUnet: simon@einode.UUCP
Smail: The National Software Centre, Dublin, IRELAND
Phone: +353-1-716255
EUnet is a registered trademark of the EUUG
/* End of text from gorgo.UUCP:net.micro.pc */

The latest version is 2.4.2. No doubt there will be further bug-fix versions;
save your $800 until they all get fixed!

To our neighbors across the Atlantic, I suggest you contact the Holland
Computer Club (HCC) for such things. They spend a lot of money keeping up to
date with such things, and it may be less expensive then getting it from
here directly. You might also track down your local (or closest) Fido node.

berger@clio.Uiuc.ARPA (10/29/86)

Send me the $ 800 and I'll send you a disk with version 2.42!

		ihnp4!uiucuxc!clio!berger