[net.micro.pc] Procomm 2.4 problems

c160-as@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (David B. Gaertner) (10/09/86)

.
I just downloaded the latest release of Procomm.  It has some nice new
features and some very annoying ones as well.  I just want to warn people
about them so that they don't throw away version 2.3 just yet.

The problem I have with procomm 2.4 is that none of the terminal emulation
modes handle Unix's vi editor correctly.  The cursor most often appears to
be on a line of text that is actually two or three lines above or below it,
or vice versa(!).  This does not happen with version 2.3.

If it's just my copy that's messed up, I'd appreciate someone telling me so.
If not, please send your remarks to Datastorm Technologies.  Their address is
in the program's welcome screen.  If they already came out with a fix, then
I apologize for taking your time - but please send me a fix if you have one.

Thanks much,
David
ucbvax or something!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c160-as

tfra@ur-tut.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (10/09/86)

[Et tu, line-eater?]

David B. Gaertner complains:
>... The problem I have with procomm 2.4 is that none of the terminal emulation
> modes handle Unix's vi editor correctly.  The cursor most often appears to
> be on a line of text that is actually two or three lines above or below it,
> or vice versa(!).  This does not happen with version 2.3.

I had the same problem.  What is happening is you have set up procomm 2.4 to
wrap long lines.  Turn that off and the problem disappears.  (I know, you
lose some of the stuff at the end of the lines, and it is a bug, but at least
it's a work-around.)

- Tom Frauenhofer

...!seismo!rochester!ur-tut!tfra

BLOOM: You can't kill the actors!  They're human beings!
BIALYSTOCK: Oh yeah?  You ever eat with one?

halff@utah-cs.UUCP (Henry M. Halff) (10/10/86)

In article <513@zen.BERKELEY.EDU>, c160-as@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (David B. Gaertner) writes:
> The problem I have with procomm 2.4 is that none of the terminal emulation
> modes handle Unix's vi editor correctly.  The cursor most often appears to
> be on a line of text that is actually two or three lines above or below it,
> or vice versa(!).  This does not happen with version 2.3.
>
> If it's just my copy that's messed up, I'd appreciate someone telling me so.

I can't speak for Version 2.3, but the VT52 emulator in Version 2.4 works
well enough that I can compose this reply in vi.  Perhaps you do have a
corrupted version.

I think that VT52 is better for vi since the arrow keys work properly.
--
Henry M. Halff                                       Halff Resources, Inc.
halff@utah-cs.ARPA                 4918 33rd Road, N., Arlington, VA 22207

latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (Ken Latham) (10/17/86)

> .
> The problem I have with procomm 2.4 is that none of the terminal emulation
> modes handle Unix's vi editor correctly.
>
> If it's just my copy that's messed up, I'd appreciate someone telling me so.
>
> Thanks much,
> David
> ucbvax or something!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c160-as

	OK ... I`'ll tell you    "It is only your copy that is messed up."

	Mine works fine!!!!!!!  ( vt-100 haven't used the others )

		Ken Latham, AT&T-IS (via AGS Inc.), Orlando , FL
		uucp: ihnp4!bsdpkh!latham

c160-as@zooey.Berkeley.EDU (David B. Gaertner) (10/20/86)

[]
This was a reply to my earlier posting:

>From: latham@bsdpkh.UUCP (Ken Latham)
>
>> .
>> The problem I have with procomm 2.4 is that none of the terminal emulation
>> modes handle Unix's vi editor correctly.
>>
>> If it's just my copy that's messed up, I'd appreciate someone telling me so.
>>

>	OK ... I`'ll tell you    "It is only your copy that is messed up."
>
>	Mine works fine!!!!!!!  ( vt-100 haven't used the others )
>

>		Ken Latham, AT&T-IS (via AGS Inc.), Orlando , FL
>		uucp: ihnp4!bsdpkh!latham

I will describe my experience with Procomm's vt-100:

I used nothing but version 2.3 until I heard that version 2.4.1 was released.
So, apparently it was not just my copy that was messed up.
I tried it out, and yes, they fixed the bug that I was talking about.  I know
that people suggested turning off word wrap, but for some of the things I do, I can't use it.
But even though the bug is fixed, I don't think it's fixed
enough.  When the cursor appears to be on a different line than it really
is, it could simply rewrite the letters underneath so that one knows for sure
where the cursor is.  IN VI, TRY TO TYPE A LINE LONGER THAN 80 CHARS TO
SEE FOR YOURSELF WHAT I MEAN (with LINE-WRAP and SCROLL _ON_).  Be sure to
move the cursor using both the arrow keys and w and b.

But even though Procomm has this minor problem, I still think it's the best
comm program out there.  I heartily recommend it to everyone.

David Gaertner
ucbvax!zooey.Berkeley.EDU!c160-as

tj@utcs.UUCP (10/20/86)

Well, I finally got a copy of PROCOMM 2.4.1.  I can make it lose characters
on the screen at baud rates from 1200 up with a little bit of keyboard activity
while characters are coming in. 2.3 would lose characters at 19.2K baud but
2.4.1 is much worse. Response is pretty good on a monochrome screen with
a VEGA card emulating a Hercules Mono graphics or MDA but on the same vega
card acting like a CGA the response goes through the floor. There is something
REALLY wrong with this version of PROCOMM.
We were really counting on PROCOMM here for a project in the works and
even got authorized but it looks like 2.4.1 needs serious work.
tj

corwin@cdp.UUCP (10/21/86)

VT100 terminal emulation is the only one Procomm 2.4 (or earlier) even
comes close to supporting.  All of the others are very brain-damaged.
If others appear to work, then your remote system is not making much
use of the terminal escape sequences.

myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) (10/21/86)

I have just tried to dial the Procomm Bulletin Board number that they give
in the documentation for previous versions, and I get a disconnected number.

Does anybody know what is going on with Procomm??????

()
Mike Mitchell
myxm@lanl.arpa

ddrex@gorgo.UUCP (10/25/86)

The ProComm folks moved to Columbia, Mo. Get the number for their company,
DataStorm, from directory info.

ken@argus.UUCP (Kenneth Ng) (10/27/86)

In article <8725@lanl.ARPA>, myxm@lanl.ARPA (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> I have just tried to dial the Procomm Bulletin Board number that they give
> in the documentation for previous versions, and I get a disconnected number.
>
> Does anybody know what is going on with Procomm??????
>
> ()
> Mike Mitchell
> myxm@lanl.arpa

I believe the phone number is 314-449-9401.

--
Kenneth Ng: Post office: NJIT - CCCC, Newark New Jersey  07102
uucp !ihnp4!allegra!bellcore!argus!ken

McCoy: "This won't hurt a bit"
Chekov: "That's what you said last time"
McCoy: "Did it?"
Chekov: "Yes"

wb8foz@ncoast.UUCP (David Lesher) (10/29/86)

In article <12800023@gorgo.UUCP> ddrex@gorgo.UUCP writes:

>The ProComm folks moved to Columbia, Mo. Get the number for their company,
>DataStorm, from directory info.

FYI here it is:

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
        111111\ 111111\ 111111\ 111111\ 111111\ 111\\111\ 111\\111\
        11[_11[ 11[_11[ 11[_11[ 11[____ 11[_11[ 11[11[11[ 11[11[11[
        111111[ 11111[_ 11[ 11[ 11[     11[ 11[ 11[ __11[ 11[ __11[
        11[____ 11[ 11\ 11[ 11[ 11[     11[ 11[ 11[   11[ 11[   11[
        11[     11[ 11[ 111111[ 111111\ 111111[ 11[   11[ 11[   11[
         __      __  __  ______  ______  ______  __    __  __    __ (tm)
                               Version 2.4.2
(C) 1985, 1986 Datastorm Technologies, Inc.  (Formerly PIL Software Systems)

  This is a user supported product.  It is not public domain, and it is
  not free software.  You are granted a limited license to use this product
  on a trial basis.  If you wish to continue using the product after the
  trial period you must register by sending: (a) $25 for registration only
  (no disk), (b) $35 for registration plus the latest version on disk, or
  (c) $50 for registration, disk and printed, bound manual to the address
  below.  Missouri residents please add 4.3% sales tax.

  ProComm support BBS: (314) 449-9401  24 hours per day, 7 days per week.

                        Thank you for your support!

   === Datastorm Technologies, Inc.  PO Box 1471  Columbia, MO 65205 ===

--

		      decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!wb8foz
			ncoast!wb8foz@case.csnet

    	         		"SERIOUS?
		Bones, it could upset the entire percentage!"